AEMT vs EMT-I

Chef

Forum Crew Member
Now that I am full time in this world I am looking to add additional skill sets. Most of the FF's in our city are Intermediates; but while searching online for formalized education it seems that AEMT is replacing I's....

Is it the same?? Why was it changed??

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
The new A certification is a mix of I85 and I99. Many states had wide and varied standards for intermediates. It was designed to standardize the skill set and testing.

Last edited:

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Now that I am full time in this world I am looking to add additional skill sets. Most of the FF's in our city are Intermediates; but while searching online for formalized education it seems that AEMT is replacing I's....

Is it the same?? Why was it changed??

My understanding is that the National Scope of Practice Model replaced EMT-I (1985) and EMT-I (1999) with AEMT. For NREMT purposes, EMT-I '85s are (were?) given the option to upgrade to AEMT or downgrade to EMT, and EMT-I'99s were given the option to downgrade to AEMT or upgrade to Paramedic. Historically speaking, EMT-I '85 was a slapdash standard - it took a couple of things from the paramedic educational standards but never really was cohesive. And EMT-I '99 is arguably just plain silly - giving paramedic skills to people who don't have the level of education even close to that.

The idea of AEMT is to have a national standard of intermediate provider linked in a clear fashion to the EMT and Paramedic levels - a limited ALS provider - to address the gap between EMT and Paramedic, in line with the available technologies and needs of areas that can't afford or otherwise do not have the ability to obtain paramedic level coverage.

This document gives you some history of the standards as they evolved. And here's the national scope model.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
It should also be noted that many states still have and certify EMT-Is (in additional to AEMTs too in some places). We still have I99s Colorado, though there are no more I99 classes as far as I can tell. The state will continue to recertify I99s indefinitely while also having an AEMT certification.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
It should also be noted that many states still have and certify EMT-Is (in additional to AEMTs too in some places). We still have I99s Colorado, though there are no more I99 classes as far as I can tell. The state will continue to recertify I99s indefinitely while also having an AEMT certification.

That's a good point - many states do this (Virginia and Rhode Island [see page 28 for RI "AEMT-Cardiac" additions to the National AEMT scope] also come to mind).

twistedMP

Forum Crew Member
I think there is still one cardiac tech left in Georgia.

I didn't realize there was still a licensed CT here. When I went through Emt school 10 years ago there was only 12 still licensed in Georgia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief

LanceCorpsman

Forum Lieutenant
In my state, to operate as a Paramedic you need an AAS degree in paramedicine. But since you can't expect a bunch of volunteer EMS providers (in my county there is only one paid department that operates two rigs, and they don't go out of their district) to have a two year degree just to volunteer. That is why they still have the EMT-I in Oregon. If the state decided to get rid of EMT-Is and downgraded everyone to the AEMT scope, rural Oregon will have nobody that can do ACLS, pain management...etc. That would be an absolute disaster.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm under the impression that Georgia has AEMT as the baseline staffing for a transporting ambulance?

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm under the impression that Georgia has AEMT as the baseline staffing for a transporting ambulance?
Depends where you go system-by-system. Grady in City of Atlanta requires AEMT, neighboring Dekalb County AMR doesn't.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Depends where you go system-by-system. Grady in City of Atlanta requires AEMT, neighboring Dekalb County AMR doesn't.
Interesting -- thanks!

Summit

Critical Crazy
In my state, to operate as a Paramedic you need an AAS degree in paramedicine.

Not really. Any associates degree or above is acceptable. You can have a BA in Interpretive Dance. Actually you can apply for equivalency via experience in leui of a degree. Even if you have none of those, you can get licensed and practice up to 2 years without a degree (under the assumption you will earn it by the end of the 2 years).

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Not really. Any associates degree or above is acceptable. You can have a BA in Interpretive Dance. Actually you can apply for equivalency via experience in leui of a degree. Even if you have none of those, you can get licensed and practice up to 2 years without a degree (under the assumption you will earn it by the end of the 2 years).
This is mostly true (unless things have change since I lived there). Your AAS has to be the paramedic one. However, a BA or BS in any subject will qualify. If your an Oregon resident its pretty much impossible to become a paramedic without your AAS or BA/BS. However, outside residents who are filing reciprocity into Oregon may apply with no degree if they have 5 years experience and NREMT if certain conditions are met. Furthermore, you can be granted a probationary 2 year certificate while your completing your AAS but you need a medical director to evaluate that and approve it, in addition to proving to the state you are enrolled or are enrolling in the AAS program. If your already living in Oregon though, you either have to complete the degree or leave for 5 years and work as a paramedic with your NREMT somewhere and move back...

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
This is mostly true (unless things have change since I lived there). Your AAS has to be the paramedic one. However, a BA or BS in any subject will qualify. If your an Oregon resident its pretty much impossible to become a paramedic without your AAS or BA/BS. However, outside residents who are filing reciprocity into Oregon may apply with no degree if they have 5 years experience and NREMT if certain conditions are met. Furthermore, you can be granted a probationary 2 year certificate while your completing your AAS but you need a medical director to evaluate that and approve it, in addition to proving to the state you are enrolled or are enrolling in the AAS program. If your already living in Oregon though, you either have to complete the degree or leave for 5 years and work as a paramedic with your NREMT somewhere and move back...

It's quite the regulatory framework...I guess the model makes sense, builds in some wiggle room when supply is tight.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Ya if your from Oregon and want to start a career in EMS as a paramedic its definitely something you have to think about because return of investment on the degree is not as good as other's. The link to the AAS can be found here for RN's at our largest community college http://catalog.pcc.edu/programsanddisciplines/nursing/ compared to AAS for paramedics here http://catalog.pcc.edu/programsanddisciplines/emergencymedicalservices/#degreestext You may notice striking similarities for the classes in the degrees are almost the same expect one takes a paramedic pathway and the other takes RN. As a medic though, you can expect to make about %30 less....

Summit

Critical Crazy
Ya if your from Oregon and want to start a career in EMS as a paramedic its definitely something you have to think about because return of investment on the degree is not as good as other's. The link to the AAS can be found here for RN's at our largest community college http://catalog.pcc.edu/programsanddisciplines/nursing/ compared to AAS for paramedics here http://catalog.pcc.edu/programsanddisciplines/emergencymedicalservices/#degreestext You may notice striking similarities for the classes in the degrees are almost the same expect one takes a paramedic pathway and the other takes RN. As a medic though, you can expect to make about %30 less....

Indeed, but an AAS in Nursing doesn't get you very far outside of some rural Oregon. That AAS curriculum is pretty anemic for a associates RN curriculum, which is why it is AAS not an ASN/ADN. So when compring P vs RN AAS ROI factor in extended gap unemployment to first RN position, underemployment, undesirable employment, and a near mandatory BSN transition program with more extensive requirements due to the anemic initial curriculum.

Last edited:

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Slightly off topic, but if there was a single role paramedic opportunity in, say, the Bend area, I'd move back to Oregon in a heartbeat.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Bend is nice. Mmmmmmmmmmmount Bachelor