AEMT Scope Question

AMF

Forum Crew Member
My state, which currently has I99, is still working out its AEMT scope. To you who are currently taking AEMT, does your scope allow for medication with OLMC?

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
My state, which currently has I99, is still working out its AEMT scope. To you who are currently taking AEMT, does your scope allow for medication with OLMC?

If AEMTS aren't built into your system's protocols you can't practice as one. Thats how it is near me. Doesn't matter if your skills line up with the old I...you have to practice as a basic until they are implemented. Unless you tested at the I level.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

Maine is an I-85 state.( unless you are one of the old EMT-Critical Cares which there are only a handful left). In their recent protocol revisions they aligned the scope to closer reflect the national AEMT standards. It won't be long (if they aren't already) using the NR for licensing and officially change the title. Most all meds need OLMC unless a medic is with you.

Ignore this if you are not in Maine.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Maine is an I-85 state.( unless you are one of the old EMT-Critical Cares which there are only a handful left). In their recent protocol revisions they aligned the scope to closer reflect the national AEMT standards. It won't be long (if they aren't already) using the NR for licensing and officially change the title. Most all meds need OLMC unless a medic is with you.

Ignore this if you are not in Maine.

Just to clarify what I posted earlier. I did not mean to imply that ME used the NR I-85. Their curriculum and training is much closer to the I-85. All programs (that I know of) in the state were/are taught to the I-85 standard.

OP
OP
A

AMF

Forum Crew Member
Just to clarify what I posted earlier. I did not mean to imply that ME used the NR I-85. Their curriculum and training is much closer to the I-85. All programs (that I know of) in the state were/are taught to the I-85 standard.

That surprises me. I thought they were ~ I99s. Can 85s normally intubate and give medication? I was under the impression that the only substantial intervention the 85 level added was fluid therapy.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
That surprises me. I thought they were ~ I99s. Can 85s normally intubate and give medication? I was under the impression that the only substantial intervention the 85 level added was fluid therapy.

Intermediates can no longer perform ETI. They can use combi, lma or king airways. Ivs and fluid administration is not new. outside of asa and O2 Is need to call olmc for meds. Charcoal was made a Medic drug and the remaining 4 or 5 require orders. The scope in Maine prior to this year was very close to the I 85. But no where near I99. The current standard is closer to the newer AEMT.

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

At the NREMT level I/85s have a handful of meds and ETI.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
At the NREMT level I/85s have a handful of meds and ETI.

What meds do you have for I85 in Nevada? I'm curious since here it seems that intermediates have fluids, ETI, and not much else.