AED's for Law Enforcement: Grants?

Hockey

Quackers
I work for a university police department part time, and we don't have AED's in the car. When I get asked, we get told they have them in the buildings, and they cost too much, and they would need to be mounted, etc.

So I have won on the buildings and mounting argument. Now I need to find cost. We have plenty of money, however they don't want to spend it on it.

Are there grants for AED's? What would be the best AED for law enforcement?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
You're telling me that a university police department doesn't doesn't equip its officers with an AED in each car? I find that amazing, especially with the huge concentration of people in a small area, and the large number of events they do.

It's quite common for a PD to receive AEDs from their EMS provider. I know that my service provided them when I was in Michigan, and I thought it was a pretty standard. I'd ask your EMS provider. You'd be surprised at what they'd be willing to do to solidify a relationship.

Good luck!

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AHEr4RIQS1w

Show them this video.
The cost of a basic AED has come come way down but there are costs beyond simply throwing one in the trunk of every police car. Your best bet would be to draw up a complete proposal factoring in all costs including training, maintanance, ect.

This might not be the best place to ask about grants for equipping police cars with AED's. You might get more info on a LE forum?