AED Reccomendations

Bosco836

Forum Lieutenant
I've been asked to help pick out an AED for a local community group for whom I regularly provide CPR training to who is on a fairly tight budget.

I've always been partial to PhysioControl for monitors, and our service has a few LP1000s (mainly for special events; bike units; etc.) which, in my view, are great AEDs. However, given their budget (and actual needs) an LP1000 is probably out of the question.

Keeping in mind total cost of ownership (very budget conscious group) + overall reliability - if you had to pick out an AED, what brand/model would you pick and why? Any particular models that anyone would avoid?

I've been leaning towards the Zoll AED Plus (easy to replace battery; 5 year pads life; CPR feedback; 7 year warranty) but am curious what everyone's experience has been.

Cheers,

- A

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Not sure you can really go wrong, the Zoll unit is a good choice. We had Lifepak CR Plus units at my college, but those pads were two years. Very small unit though.

OP
OP
B

Bosco836

Forum Lieutenant
Not sure you can really go wrong, the Zoll unit is a good choice. We had Lifepak CR Plus units at my college, but those pads were two years. Very small unit though.

What I (dislike) about the CR+ is the Pad/Battery situation. Pads and Batteries seem to be sold together, and both need to be replaced after two years. I've also heard people complain about their durability & the longevity of the battery (replace after every code; only really optimized for 30 minutes of run time). That said, I don't suspect this unit would get that much use to the point where this would be an issue. I wish the LP1000 was more affordable and/or that the LP500 was still around. The CR+ just seems almost toy like to me.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Can't say I ever actually used one, which is the life of most public AEDs. I thought the CR was quite durable even without the pelican cases we had for them.