Advice on taking Anatomy and Physiology

Kale

Forum Probie
Hey folks,

So I started work (finally), and it's great. My problem right now is my days off. Prior to starting work as an EMT, I was a Ph.D. student for four years and a rather intense college student immediately before that. So, in other words, I'm not really used to having days off where I literally have nothing I need to do, I'm used to studying. So, I'm kind of going stir crazy right now, there's only so many times I can clean my apartment.

If all goes well I'll be starting medic school in a year or so, so I'm looking in CC courses I could possibly pick up (and/or books I could read) that would be helpful towards that end.

I was thinking about taking an Anatomy and Physiology course through my local CC this semester. Some of it would definitely just be a refresher - my masters degree is in human skeletal biology so lets just say I have a pretty good sense of how the human body is put together, and some of it would be more or less new information - such as the nervous system, of which I only have cursory knowledge.

I prefer sitting in lecture and doing hands-on work in lab, the issue is is that I'm not on a permanent schedule with work yet, nor will I be for about a month or so. There is an online option for A&P through the local CC, but I'm a bit wary of online courses, especially for things like this.

Anyone have any experience taking A&P online? Or does it seem like taking a course like this online leaves you at a disadvantage compared to a lecture/lab course (assuming the study habits of the student would be essentially the same).

Also, if anyone knows of any interesting internet/book resources that may be of interest to someone prepping for medic school I'm more than happy to hear suggestions! Thanks!

emtME

Forum Probie
I don't have any too-helpful suggestions, but I wanted to chime in because it seems our paths in life are very similar. =) I'm currently a third year Ph.D., taking the EMT class at night. Will be ditching the PhD shortly- plan on doing the EMT to PA career route. Good to see another fellow Ph'D er on the boards!

OP
OP
Kale

Kale

Forum Probie
I don't have any too-helpful suggestions, but I wanted to chime in because it seems our paths in life are very similar. =) I'm currently a third year Ph.D., taking the EMT class at night. Will be ditching the PhD shortly- plan on doing the EMT to PA career route. Good to see another fellow Ph'D er on the boards!

Another victim. :) What was your diss gonna be in?

emtME

Forum Probie
Another victim. :) What was your diss gonna be in?

micro-frickin-biology. And immunology. I liked the classes, hate the research, hate even more the idea of spending my life doing lab bench work instead of out interacting directly with patients!

What about yours? Or did you finish?

OP
OP
Kale

Kale

Forum Probie
micro-frickin-biology. And immunology. I liked the classes, hate the research, hate even more the idea of spending my life doing lab bench work instead of out interacting directly with patients!

What about yours? Or did you finish?

I was a bioarchaeologist/skeletal biologist. Naw, didn't finish, though I came close to candidacy. After I defended my MA at year 2 the rest of my experience from then on was like one big cockblock after another. I loved research (because I was a field scientist, mainly), but hated the politics of the academy and hated the million flaming hoops one had to jump through just to get access to reasonably minor collections. Once the economy really started to collapse in Europe (where my research sites/study collections were located), foreign archaeologists were all but shut out completely in a lot of countries. So it was sort of a choice between waiting around for the economy of Iceland to improve (fat chance), starting over from scratch with a whole new subject area and new committee, or cutting my losses and running while I still had my youth and sanity.

You see which one I picked...