Advanced EMT classes

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't understand how you guys weren't taught cardiac meds in school for I/85? I have a pretty solid scope as an Intermediate here.

Because the 1985 national scope for Intermediate didn't include anything related to cariology that wasn't included in the basic curriculum. 99 fixed that, however. Many Intermediate, such as myself, were educated to a state level that FAR exceeded the 85 standard but yet fell a bit short of 99, so we tested as 85s. The NREMT would have us take a transition course that teaches us info we already know, test us on a scope that is below what we already do and allow us to pay for this.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I see. Glad I won't have to deal with those shenanigans :D

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm hoping to put an end to the shenanigans. I sent in my application the NREMT to be selected for their at-large position on the Board of Directors. If I am selected then I will zealously fight for the common EMT.

18G

Paramedic
The National Scope of Practice for Advanced EMT's does not include ECG monitoring. Although each state can add to that.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I/85 included monitoring if I am not mistaken.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
We run I/P. I work as an I now until I finish school. I love the medics I work with and they love the fact that I can actually take patients with more of a complaint than toe pain, no offense to the basics on here.

I don't understand how you guys weren't taught cardiac meds in school for I/85? I have a pretty solid scope as an Intermediate here.

IMO, there are two ways to properly utilize an EMT-I in the US. They can either be an advanced EMT and advanced paramedic assistant (IE, attend on basic and intermediate calls, pretty much do anything onscene with the paramedic on other calls) and as an independent practitioner (IE, work in an intermediate level system, have an I99 level scope and call for orders). There are benefits to both of these. In an intermediate level system, an I-99 can act at nearly a paramedic level while in contact with medical control, allowing a higher level of care with lower certification (and its cheaper for the system). Likewise, in a paramedic system, an I85 or higher teamed up with a paramedic gives you two providers who can essentially act as two paramedics (the medic can give orders and the intermediate can administer them with only a few exceptions).

As a future intermediate, I would like to think that my scope of medications is limited by the danger they pose to my patients if misused weighed against their possible benefits. Whereas I would be perfectly comfortable giving narcan, glucagon, and morphine (which regrettably I cannot give), I am also happy to leave Cardizem and Amiodarone in the hands of the paramedics, as administration of these drugs requires both proper diagnosis of the patient as well as careful administration to prevent severe harm. I would also be happy to learn about the cardiac medications we carry (and I take the time to do so on my own), however it does make sense to me that my scope is limited by the danger each skill or medication poses to my patient, and that use of more advanced skills and medications deserves a greater level of education.

emt11

Forum Lieutenant
GA has four EMT levels. Whoa.

Yes, we do. However, basics(except for some places on the far south side of GA) can not work on a truck, as per the state. I'99 numbers are not and have not been able to get numbers for several years. Meaning, if you have it you can renew it but no new numbers. I'85 is obviously being replaced by the A's. We also recognize the FR level but you'll never see one on a truck. Some FD's use them while others require I'85. The state still recognizes B but like I sAid theirs not a whole lot you can do with it.