Advance in paramedicine...

OP
OP
dalman97

dalman97

Forum Crew Member
Since you are in southeast Texas I assume you will work for Acadian.

As a medic there are some options to be better. Go thru the CCT training and do that, drive over to lake Charles and work on Air Med, finish a degree and move up into FTO or management.

Having a degree I feel is about to start factoring into promotions.

Yes i will work for Acadian as soon as i finish the basic and while going through medic. Sorry, but what is CCT AND FTO? =)

medictmfl

Forum Ride Along
oops

I really am so excited about this I can barely contain myself at times.\

I missed this part earlier... If this is where your passion is don't let any of us dummies talk you out of it, dive in head first, as an instructor i can tell you the profession needs more people who feel like this.

OP
OP
dalman97

dalman97

Forum Crew Member
I missed this part earlier... If this is where your passion is don't let any of us dummies talk you out of it, dive in head first, as an instructor i can tell you the profession needs more people who feel like this.

Well, my original plan is to bridge to nursing after I become licensed. I posted this question because I have a feeling my personality best fits that of a medic. I am very passionate about it. My heart races every time I see an ambulance now lol silly I know.

But bottom line is... I am doing this to better support my son and I and plan a future for myself and if the money isn't right, well it just isn't right. Like a few have said... there are nursing specialties that will be a better fit for me than say... wiping a butt clean or sponge bathing the elderly lol. And to be perfectly honest the idea of a female dominated field and it's politics scares the heck out of me. I don't handle that well, at all!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
dalman97

dalman97

Forum Crew Member
Then there's flight medic and instructor as someone pointed out. So we shall see... I still have 2 years before I'm licensed.

Btw for those wondering why I hadn't considered a traditional nursing program. It is because I must continue to work my current day job and there would be no way for me to swing that crazy schedule with a kiddo. Medic to RN (if that's what i do) is much more flexible and doable for me even if it will take me a year longer. I look at it as it's doable AND I'll hold two licenses.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
. My heart races every time I see an ambulance now lol silly I know.

If you think ambulances are exciting you should step up to the big league...

381141_10151266015193273_1762878115_n.jpg

My office window looks out over the helipad at the hospital...I get giddy like a school girl every time one comes in.

OP
OP
dalman97

dalman97

Forum Crew Member

My office window looks out over the helipad at the hospital...I get giddy like a school girl every time one comes in.

OMG I would definitely LOVE that. That would be the ultimate, to be a flight medic for sure!

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes i will work for Acadian as soon as i finish the basic and while going through medic. Sorry, but what is CCT AND FTO? =)

Critical Care Transport and Field Training Officer

FWIW I'm on a CCT unit in San Antonio.

If you feel this strongly about EMS then stick with it if you find you enjoy it. We need people like you to move it forward.

OP
OP
dalman97

dalman97

Forum Crew Member
Critical Care Transport and Field Training Officer

FWIW I'm on a CCT unit in San Antonio.

If you feel this strongly about EMS then stick with it if you find you enjoy it. We need people like you to move it forward.

Ok, thanks... If I fall in love with it like I think I will I doubt I'll be able to go into nursing. Unless of course, the pay is just starving us and I doubt it's that bad :unsure:

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief

381141_10151266015193273_1762878115_n.jpg

These tend to fall out of the sky at an alarming rate...

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...te-raises-med-copter-safety-fears-1756641.php

1 in 50 in a crash
The rate at which medical helicopter accidents occur also is on the rise, more than tripling per 100,000 flight hours from 1993 to 2004, the Congressional Research Service report said. During the same period, the accident rate for medical helicopters was nearly twice that of helicopters that ferry businessmen and industrial workers.
From 2002 to 2005, one of about every 50 medical helicopters in the U.S. fleet, which then numbered about 750, was involved in a crash, the Congressional Research Service report said.

OP
OP
dalman97

dalman97

Forum Crew Member
http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...te-raises-med-copter-safety-fears-1756641.php

1 in 50 in a crash
The rate at which medical helicopter accidents occur also is on the rise, more than tripling per 100,000 flight hours from 1993 to 2004, the Congressional Research Service report said. During the same period, the accident rate for medical helicopters was nearly twice that of helicopters that ferry businessmen and industrial workers.
From 2002 to 2005, one of about every 50 medical helicopters in the U.S. fleet, which then numbered about 750, was involved in a crash, the Congressional Research Service report said.

Umm... you could have kept these stats to yourself lol. Nah ... about the same risk you take behind the wheel of a car. When it's your time to go... as long as it's quick and I'm guessing that would be pretty quick!

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
At one point the most dangerous job in the US was not commercial fisherman...it was HEMS crew member...

Flight medicine will expose you to a lot of different things. It can be very rewarding. But don't let it fool you, it's not nearly as glamorous as it seems.

OP
OP
dalman97

dalman97

Forum Crew Member
At one point the most dangerous job in the US was not commercial fisherman...it was HEMS crew member...

Flight medicine will expose you to a lot of different things. It can be very rewarding. But don't let it fool you, it's not nearly as glamorous as it seems.

thanks for the heads up

shfd739

Forum Deputy Chief

Course it is. Flight suits are hot

OP
OP
dalman97

dalman97

Forum Crew Member
Haha... you guys crack me up.

For the record... if glamour is what I was after, I'm fairly certain I could get more creative than EMS.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Haha... you guys crack me up.

For the record... if glamour is what I was after, I'm fairly certain I could get more creative than EMS.

Clearly you do not understand the value of a uniform to wear.

It definately worked better for me than a 2 piece thong.

Medic97

Forum Ride Along
Thanks Tim... the program i will attend is the National EMS Academy/Acadian company. I will be nationally registered and overall its a 2 year program start to finish. They do offer an associates degree at LIT but the class hours through nemsa will allow me to work my current full time job. It's also a year shorter but ONLY because the program at LIT requires a year of general ed pre-reqs prior to the program.

The above information is not entirely correct. You can attend LIT's paramedic program and then do the general education requirements for the AAs degree. You do not have to do the general education prior to enrolling in the program. LIT offers a certificate and a AAS program, which are all college credit courses, not workforce or continueing education courses.

If you would like specific information about the LIT program, please contact me and I will be more than happy to answer any of your questions.