Additional Education

makphisto

Forum Crew Member
Are there organizations that provide ongoing education? Our local CC has classes, but they're specifically geared toward getting a degree/license. As a Basic, I'd like to find someplace to both review what I know as well as learn new things. Unfortunately, I'm not sure where to start looking.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I lot of colleges and universities have extension programs that allow community members to take courses without becoming full time students. You might think about taking a handful of courses (chem, physics, antomy, physiology, etc) if you haven't taken them already. A lot of places, including the National Registry offer CEs for courses. In fact, you can get up to 24 hours per subject for NR, so 2 courses would mean that you're done CEs except for the refresher course.

mikeylikesit

Candy Striper
Some fire department but mostly hospitals will offer the education I think that you’re after. Check your local hospitals they usually have a bunch.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
You can declare a major and take science classes which should be done to supplement your EMT and definitely before advancing to the next level. Without the baseline science knowledge, other classes may just be a little extra knowledge without a clear view of the bigger picture. Declaring a major doesn't mean you have to stick with that major or finish the degree.

If it is just additional "training" or a few CEU classes, the CCs that offer the degree programs will also include CEU in the allied health section of non-credit (college) section. Hospitals and FDs are also places to check for additional training. If you don't need the CEUs, the nursing and RT CEU classes can also be very informative.

These two websites offer online EMS CEUs as well as informational topics for reviewing or learning. Check to make sure the CEUs are accepted for your certification if that is your goal. You can still take the class for the information they aren't accepted.

http://www.rcecs.com/default.asp

http://www.eminet.com/

mdkemt

Forum Lieutenant
In Canada and more specific we have a TeleHealth conferences in which sessions are put on reviewing and going through different areas of study to refresh our brains. I can give you a website for up here that has different reviews on different topics in wihch at the end gives you a quiz you are marked on. However I am not sure if that will be accepted with your service.

We here have to have so many points in two years with continueing education in order to maintain out licenses. At the EMR level it is 100 points, EMT/PCP it is 80 EMT-A/ICP it is 60 EMT-P/ACP it is 40. Different levels require different subjects of study to have completed then there are also regular refresher courses that you have to do that you do not get credit for.

Not sure if this helps at all but send me a line i fyou would like and info.

MDKEMT