ACLS Instructor woes

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
Ill try to keep this rant brief.

We started ACLS in school a few weeks ago and i just dont feel like my program is doing a good job teaching it. During lab we split into groups of 5 or 6 students who get teamed up with an instructor who is supposed to go over the algorithms while using the LifePak. Here is where i have an issue, some instructors are awesome, and others are awful. I keep drawing the short straw and ending up with the guys who dont know jack, while other classmates get to actually learn ACLS.

Would i be out of line to speak with my main instructor about this? I dont really want to badmouth any of my teachers since ill be spending another year with them working on my paramedic degree. But ACLS is unbelievably important, and i feel like im getting short changed. Its kinda like "hey here are your algorithms, go learn them on your own". I understand that the algorithms are my responsibility to memorize, but i learn much better by going over scenarios in class.

Should i say something? Or just figure it out on my own?

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
But ACLS is unbelievably important, and i feel like im getting short changed

Who told you that? :p

Seriously, you paid for the class you should speak up. Sub-par instructors produce sub-par providers and only the patients suffer.

OP
OP
C

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
Who told you that? :p

Seriously, you paid for the class you should speak up. Sub-par instructors produce sub-par providers and only the patients suffer.

I think thats really my only option at this point. Sure is going to be weird working with these guys for the next year though.

Id basically be telling our head instructor that her program stinks. There is only one way to interpet that.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
If a teacher isn't able to accommodate your method of learning, I'd speak with somebody that could move you to somebody who is better suited for you, but I wouldn't post online "the guys who don't know jack." If this happens frequently, you may want to consider whether it's the program or you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sandog

Forum Asst. Chief
Speak up? Hmmm, I would think about that. Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease, other times the wheel gets replaced. Chances are that the lead instructor selected his staff. It may not go well for you to bad mouth his crew without good examples to explain your reasoning. My advice, tread carefully.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Ill try to keep this rant brief.

We started ACLS in school a few weeks ago and i just dont feel like my program is doing a good job teaching it. During lab we split into groups of 5 or 6 students who get teamed up with an instructor who is supposed to go over the algorithms while using the LifePak. Here is where i have an issue, some instructors are awesome, and others are awful. I keep drawing the short straw and ending up with the guys who dont know jack, while other classmates get to actually learn ACLS.

Would i be out of line to speak with my main instructor about this? I dont really want to badmouth any of my teachers since ill be spending another year with them working on my paramedic degree. But ACLS is unbelievably important, and i feel like im getting short changed. Its kinda like "hey here are your algorithms, go learn them on your own". I understand that the algorithms are my responsibility to memorize, but i learn much better by going over scenarios in class.

Should i say something? Or just figure it out on my own?

You have a right to speak up. Your instructor has right not to like you for speaking up. I'd keep my mouth shut and embrace the "go learn them on your own" alternative you mentioned. Trust me, it's possible to do that.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
You have a right to speak up. Your instructor has right not to like you for speaking up.

Yep. Don't forget to fill out your instructor survey as well.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I feel compelled to comment on this.

ACLS class does not teach you how to be an expert or care for an arrest or peri arrest patient. It is not meant to.

What ACLS class does do is give you the opportunity to learn, practice, and demonstrate proficency in specific guidlines that by study and consensus are shown to work or do no harm in the greatest number of cases.

Some instructors go beyond these very basic guidlines. Understand when they do, they are stepping outside of the ACLS curriculum.

The reason the course is video driven, with an instructor manual with specific instructions, is to standardize the course and focus on the guidlines.

You should be learning from the video. You should have read the student handbook, your instructor should only be facilitating your practice, answering questions about the guidlines only, and evaluating your performance based on the standardized testing scenario.

Any instructor doing otherwise is not following the AHA ACLS guidlines that they agreed to follow as a condition of being an instructor.

So it may be that the instructors you see as minimal or substandard to the others, are actually doing the right thing!

None of these merit badge courses can possibly teach you how to be an expert at resuscitation, what they can teach you is the guidlines to follow until a true expert can be brought to bear.

I always tell my classes, "I would love to discuss critical and resuscitative medicine with you for the next 2 days, but that is not why you are here, so we are sticking to the guidlines you absolutely must know, nothing more. What I am definately not here to do is try to make you an expert in critical medicine. It takes years of education and experience to get to that level and if it could be done in 2 days, I would enroll for the special olympics."

(Believe it or not since I teach mostly mixed groups of healthcare providers, many have never seen an emergency nor will in their careers, they appreciate that a lot.)

OP
OP
C

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
Thanks to most of you guys and gals for the replies.

Ive decided that as long as i choose my words wisely, its not a bad idea for me to speak up on the matter. Im not going to single out any instructors or have negative comments about any of them, im just going to request to be paired up with my main teachers so i can get the most out of the program.

I feel compelled to comment on this.

ACLS class does not teach you how to be an expert or care for an arrest or peri arrest patient. It is not meant to.

What ACLS class does do is give you the opportunity to learn, practice, and demonstrate proficency in specific guidlines that by study and consensus are shown to work or do no harm in the greatest number of cases.

Some instructors go beyond these very basic guidlines. Understand when they do, they are stepping outside of the ACLS curriculum.

The reason the course is video driven, with an instructor manual with specific instructions, is to standardize the course and focus on the guidlines.

You should be learning from the video. You should have read the student handbook, your instructor should only be facilitating your practice, answering questions about the guidlines only, and evaluating your performance based on the standardized testing scenario.

Any instructor doing otherwise is not following the AHA ACLS guidlines that they agreed to follow as a condition of being an instructor.

Im not asking for my instructors to teach me to become an expert, i just want the chance to receive the same level of training as the rest of my peers.

I am not being given "the opportunity to learn, practice, and demonstrate proficency in specific guidlines". Ive had several lab sessions where nobody in my group was given the chance to complete a simple scenario. While others are running multiple scenarios each session.

Also, we have not yet been shown any videos regarding ACLS, so this is news to me that it is a video driven course. Yet another reason im feeling like we arent being adequately trained.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Thanks to most of you guys and gals for the replies.

Ive decided that as long as i choose my words wisely, its not a bad idea for me to speak up on the matter. Im not going to single out any instructors or have negative comments about any of them, im just going to request to be paired up with my main teachers so i can get the most out of the program.

Im not asking for my instructors to teach me to become an expert, i just want the chance to receive the same level of training as the rest of my peers.

I am not being given "the opportunity to learn, practice, and demonstrate proficency in specific guidlines". Ive had several lab sessions where nobody in my group was given the chance to complete a simple scenario. While others are running multiple scenarios each session.

Also, we have not yet been shown any videos regarding ACLS, so this is news to me that it is a video driven course. Yet another reason im feeling like we arent being adequately trained.

That is easy to fix, just PM me your school's name and location and I will take a personal interest in making sure the appropriate AHA authorities come and take care of that program.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
That is easy to fix, just PM me your school's name and location and I will take a personal interest in making sure the appropriate AHA authorities come and take care of that program.

Cute jibe!

But something that may be going on here as well is your learning style. Just because you do better with hands on and scenarios to work with doesn't mean the course and info the way it's delivered is flawed.

Perhaps you might consider having a "sit-down chat" with the head of the Dept. letting him/her know that you, personally, do better and learn more with instructors who do offer more scenarios and the like.

You can request a better way for yourself based on knowing how you learn best rather than use criticism as a tool to get what you need.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Cute jibe!.

It's not a jibe.

The AHA has decided how the course is to be taught and the exact content to standardize the class.

People who teach for AHA have agreed to those terms as a condition of being able to hold classes and isse cards.

If they are not following the prescribed way of doing things, the class will be invalidated and nobody will receive cards.

The instructor and training center is also most likely going to be warned and if they don't change will subsequently probably lose accreditation.

The class and material are standard. Instructors who do not like it need not teach. But they shouldn't be doing their own thing and labeling it as AHA.

They are in violation of the official terms and conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
C

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
While i appreciate your offer, id rather not get a third party involved right now. I also wouldnt want to put everyone else in my program at risk for losing their ACLS accreditation. With registry right around the corner, im just going to speak with the department head and see if i can get something done via that route. They have been more than accomodating in the past and i dont foresee this being a big issue.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
While i appreciate your offer, id rather not get a third party involved right now. I also wouldnt want to put everyone else in my program at risk for losing their ACLS accreditation. With registry right around the corner, im just going to speak with the department head and see if i can get something done via that route. They have been more than accomodating in the past and i dont foresee this being a big issue.

Ahhh, no one is going to lose anything right off the bat but, Ven is right; training centers are responsible for all instruction coming out of their center. We've agreed to use AHA prescribed materials, outlines, video support and testing and that is what is expected. Eventually (usually a time or 3) they get mighty testy about folks ignoring policy. Seen it happen a number of times.

OP
OP
C

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
Ahhh, no one is going to lose anything right off the bat but, Ven is right; training centers are responsible for all instruction coming out of their center. We've agreed to use AHA prescribed materials, outlines, video support and testing and that is what is expected. Eventually (usually a time or 3) they get mighty testy about folks ignoring policy. Seen it happen a number of times.

You're right, but first im going to inquire about these videos before i take any serious action. Maybe they will be showing us the videos soon but its not listed in our syllabus.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
You're right, but first im going to inquire about these videos before i take any serious action. Maybe they will be showing us the videos soon but its not listed in our syllabus.

I suppose if you all are only into learning treatments, then perhaps the "ACLS" portion is yet to come. At least you know what should be expected. Happy learning!

BandageBrigade

Forum Lieutenant
Many paramedic programs will spend a good amount of time beforehand going over rhythms and treatment algs before doing the actual course. I suspect that is what is going on in the op's case. I am sure that the last few days in your schedule dedicated to acls will be the actual AHA course, which is just a 2 day course.

OP
OP
C

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
Many paramedic programs will spend a good amount of time beforehand going over rhythms and treatment algs before doing the actual course. I suspect that is what is going on in the op's case. I am sure that the last few days in your schedule dedicated to acls will be the actual AHA course, which is just a 2 day course.

That makes me feel much better about my situation. Perhaps i overreacted initially.

I havent known my program to cut corners, so we'll see where this all goes.

Thanks for all of the replies!