Accredited Schools for Paramedic

medic417

The Truth Provider
Since that is from 2006 I wonder how many more there are now?

medic417

The Truth Provider
Seems programs are really dragging their feet getting accredited. Makes me wonder if there is work behind the scenes by fire and other diploma mills to stop the required accreditation from happening.

wehttam

Forum Probie
is it possible??

dont know if i should have started this as a new topic but question to Ridryder911 and those who are aware of what is going on. Medic 417 highlighted an important point and i would luv to turn it into a question.

Is it possible for fire and the other diploma mills to stop or hinder the accreditation process in anyway????

medic417

The Truth Provider
dont know if i should have started this as a new topic but question to Ridryder911 and those who are aware of what is going on. Medic 417 highlighted an important point and i would luv to turn it into a question.

Is it possible for fire and the other diploma mills to stop or hinder the accreditation process in anyway????

Fire has lobbiest that could pad the pockets of enough people to get it stopped. They will whine and cry, plus claim it will hurt people. They will leave out that this step to improved education would eventually lead to better patient care.

Last edited by a moderator:

wehttam

Forum Probie
hope that doesnt happen it would be very sad and dont understand why fire has so much control over what happens

VentMedic

Forum Chief
hope that doesnt happen it would be very sad and dont understand why fire has so much control over what happens

Because in some states, Fire has the majority of EMS. One of the birth places for EMS was in a Fire department.

States, like Florida, that do not use the NR for their Paramedic exam will be "business as usual".

OP
OP
Ridryder911

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Because in some states, Fire has the majority of EMS. One of the birth places for EMS was in a Fire department.

States, like Florida, that do not use the NR for their Paramedic exam will be "business as usual".

However; some of us are attempting to lobby refusal from payment of insurance providers (medicare/ main insurance providers), as well as holding of Federal funding for States that use non-accredited programs. Get their attention and the main emphasis (money).

R/r 911

VentMedic

Forum Chief
However; some of us are attempting to lobby refusal from payment of insurance providers (medicare/ main insurance providers), as well as holding of Federal funding for States that use non-accredited programs. Get their attention and the main emphasis (money).

R/r 911

That was already brought up at our state meetings. Since EMS does not have all states on the same page for even a minimun required hours of training or even the same titles used throughout, it is going to be a difficult fight.

Isn't the passing score on the NREMT 70%, which is much lower than the state exams of 80%?

OP
OP
Ridryder911

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
That was already brought up at our state meetings. Since EMS does not have all states on the same page for even a minimun required hours of training or even the same titles used throughout, it is going to be a difficult fight.

Isn't the passing score on the NREMT 70%, which is much lower than the state exams of 80%?

Actually NREMT no longer uses the old traditional average any longer. It is weight based dependent questions based on various portions and weight of the question itself, similar to NCLEX and other board examinations.

I agree it will be a tough sale, but if insurance companies have a chance to deny... you know they will. Hence, the reason JCAHO is so sucessful. True, one does not have to be JCAHO but attempt to get a approved by an insurance company for payment and the red tape associated with it. Yep, its easier to be JCAHO.

I do look forward to insurance companies to start the same requirements. EMS has NO accountability for the services they suppose to provide. Be nice to really know if that Paramedic really could read an EKG or even read or write.

R/r 911

medic417

The Truth Provider
Actually NREMT no longer uses the old traditional average any longer. It is weight based dependent questions based on various portions and weight of the question itself, similar to NCLEX and other board examinations.

I agree it will be a tough sale, but if insurance companies have a chance to deny... you know they will. Hence, the reason JCAHO is so sucessful. True, one does not have to be JCAHO but attempt to get a approved by an insurance company for payment and the red tape associated with it. Yep, its easier to be JCAHO.

I do look forward to insurance companies to start the same requirements. EMS has NO accountability for the services they suppose to provide. Be nice to really know if that Paramedic really could read an EKG or even read or write.

R/r 911

Surely you can not expect us to read and write. And EKG's the machine tells you the answer at least thats what some big citys say that will not let their medics read EKG's. It is sad that EMS is at such a state that I can not even laugh about the statement. I do hope we can force positive changes.

41 Duck

Forum Lieutenant
Hey, my school's on there. Wheee!

Later!

--Coop