Accepted!!!

MikeRi24

Forum Crew Member
just got called a couple hours ago, and the company which I applied to for their EMT training program, has decided to hire me and put me through the training! I am very excited!

Sooooo, starting the 21st, I will begin 8 weeks of paid training, which include class M-Th 8-5, and then there is some kind of rotation withing the class for clinicals every friday (not sure what those are). At the end of that 8 weeks, I will take my NY State practicals and written, and pending I pass, I will then be assigned a Field Training Officer and be the 3rd man on an ambulance.

When the FTO sees that I am "ready" i will get a partner and will begin a few months of General Transport (taking people from nursing homes to the doctor's, hospitals, and back, all the non-emergency stuff). It's a nice procedure because that way new people learn the areas, learn where the hospitals are, and how things work, but at a little bit of a slower pace.

I'm really excited, but im kinda scared at the same time (go ahead and laugh at me) about a few things. I think the fact that "ok, this is really happening, time to stop envisioning myself doing this and really start doing it" is setting in, or what. but theres a few things im nervous/scared about....im sure i'll get through it.

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
congratlations, I'm still doing volunteer EMS, so your a step ahead of me, all I can say for your training wise is pay attention, practice and study! I'm sure you will get through it fine also, just use your head!

EMTryan

Forum Crew Member
Awesome!

I had to pay for my training...good thing that you got hired on at a company where they pay you. That is a definite bonus.

I was hired by a company back in October and I passed everything except for the driving test!:blush: I am lucky because one of my friends has a decommisioned ambulance in good condition so I have practicing ambulance driving. Assuming I pass my retest in a couple of weeks I will be starting as an EMT later in the month.

Pay attention in class, take lots of notes and ask lots of questions. Run scenarios in your head until your head spins and falls off.:p Get confident in the material, practice until you feel totally confident. And ask your instructors for help.

Keep us updated with your progress.

OP
OP
M

MikeRi24

Forum Crew Member
Well, tomorrow is my first day of training....im excited but a bit nervous. hopefully it goes well!