Accepted into EMT-I introduction program

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
I just found out I was accepted into my county's EMT-I Foundations program, a sort of introduction to ALS concepts. It is the first part of their full EMT-I program, which will be followed with an EMT-P component.

This first part will be seven sessions throughout the rest of the year. The main portion of the EMT-I program will start sometime in January and go for about six months, after which there will be field precepting for the rest of the year. It is anticipated that the EMT-P portion will begin in January of 2013 and be another six months or so.

I'm half in shock and the rest of me is just pure excited!

MedicBender

Forum Captain
What program are you in? I went through P school in Maryland as well, I've never heard of a foundations class

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
LOL Oh, those silly folks at MIEMSS and their backwards antiquated ways.

OP
OP
JJR512

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
What program are you in? I went through P school in Maryland as well, I've never heard of a foundations class

It's Howard County Dept of Fire & Rescue Services own course. The Foundations course is just sort of an introductory part.

It really has nothing to do with MIEMSS other than that MIEMSS is the state's EMS oversight agency. Talking about the "silly folks at MIEMSS" here is about as relevant here as talking about the "goofy folks at the USDA" when someone says they're going to learn how to farm. :rolleyes:

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
The "Foundations" course is indeed, as far as I know, unique to Howard County. Basically, there are something like 7 sessions that introduce the student to some of the "core skills" of an ALS provider. I know there are sessions on starting an IV, doing some basic EKG interp - not sure about tubing. If a student passes the Foundations class (and is enrolled into the full EMT-I program), they are allowed to act as an ALS-lite third, performing those specific skills on calls under the supervision of a county-approved ALS preceptor.

I'm not sure if those calls transfer to the official checklist needed to get cleared as an independent ALS provider or not. I wouldn't think so, as it's far too early in the curriculum, but who knows.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Kind of a shame. Foundations courses for ALS providers should be celluar Bio, A&P, a college level algebra and English 101.

But instead, it's a "let's focus on the skills" class.

Disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Kind of a shame. Foundations courses for ALS providers should be celluar Bio, A&P, a college level algebra and English 101.

Disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone.

That was what I was getting at regarding the backwards ways of the folks in Maryland EMS at leadership levels.

OP
OP
JJR512

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
The "Foundations" course is indeed, as far as I know, unique to Howard County. Basically, there are something like 7 sessions that introduce the student to some of the "core skills" of an ALS provider. I know there are sessions on starting an IV, doing some basic EKG interp - not sure about tubing. If a student passes the Foundations class (and is enrolled into the full EMT-I program), they are allowed to act as an ALS-lite third, performing those specific skills on calls under the supervision of a county-approved ALS preceptor.

I'm not sure if those calls transfer to the official checklist needed to get cleared as an independent ALS provider or not. I wouldn't think so, as it's far too early in the curriculum, but who knows.

I have no idea if it's unique to Howard County or not, but everything else you said is accurate, according to the course description. There is no tubing; to my knowledge, that's a -P skill.

In general, I agree with what n7lxi is saying; it would be nice to have a background first. But I also understand what they're doing, which is teaching the relevant science inline with the skills. A bare minimum amount of science, granted.

I continue to disagree, though, with usafmedic45 statements. This has nothing to do with Maryland EMS leadership. This is what Howard County is doing. Howard County is bound by Maryland's standards, but as long as what they teach meets the standards, they can teach it any way, how, or why they want.

Ultimately, I'm not doing this because I think a -I or -P will look good on a resume or help further my career with a fire service. I'm doing it because I truly want to do it and want to be the best possible provider I can be. Someone else can say they disapprove of the program but it isn't the program that makes me a good or bad provider. What will make me a good or bad provider isn't something that can be taught. And I know I'm never going to settle for "just enough"; I'm going to seek out continuing education, whether I need the hours or not. I'm going to seek out the background science courses at a community college, even if it's after I technically become an ALS provider and don't really need it to get the certification. I'm always going to be seeking to learn more and be better than I was last week.

MedicBender

Forum Captain

Disappointed.

Sent from my iPhone.

This is the prep for the college medic programs around here. It's the hospital based and county FD based programs that give a brief 2-4 week A&P and Chem intro followed by the I99 course. In order to bridge to P the only prereq is a college level A&P course and the ability to pass a basic level math test

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I continue to disagree, though, with usafmedic45 statements. This has nothing to do with Maryland EMS leadership. This is what Howard County is doing. Howard County is bound by Maryland's standards, but as long as what they teach meets the standards, they can teach it any way, how, or why they want.

Standards which are consistently and remarkably laughable at how far behind the curve they are. For a state that likes to hold itself out as being on the cutting edge of medicine, they seem to have the "emperor's new clothes" affliction that keeps them from realizing that most of the rest of the country kind of points, snickers and then proceeds to use them as an example of how not to do things.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm doing it because I truly want to do it and want to be the best possible provider I can be.

Get the hell out of Maryland then. The politics there will severely cramp your ability to achieve that. Take this as coming from someone who used to live in PG County.

I'm going to seek out the background science courses at a community college

Take them at a four-year school. You'll probably go much further in depth than you will at a place that caters to technical training.

Last edited by a moderator: