Accelerated Paramedic Schools

alphatrauma

Forum Captain
Yikes

This thread was an interesting read... never realized the extent of the negative sentiment/opinions surrounding accelerated programs.

I am actually attending one in the spring.

...runs for cover :ph34r:

manonfirebb8.jpg

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Well then, you will know what to expect when you enter the profession. The same type of disrespect nurses that attend total on-line or abbreviated programs.

What else could one expect from shake & bake programs?

R/r 911

medic417

The Truth Provider
This thread was an interesting read... never realized the extent of the negative sentiment/opinions surrounding accelerated programs.

I am actually attending one in the spring.

...runs for cover :ph34r:

Do you already have a health care background such as RN? Have you took college level courses such as A&P, biology, and others that build your understanding of the workings of the human body? Then you might come out OK. Just keep in mind these short courses focus on the test and how to do skills not the whys and why nots. They do not have time to help you understand the consequences of what you do or do not do, good or bad.

Please do not disrespect yourself by limiting yourself to the limited education they can give. If you do stay with this course, please take more real healthcare courses so yo have a better chance of being a good medic.

alphatrauma

Forum Captain
Do you already have a health care background such as RN? Have you took college level courses such as A&P, biology, and others that build your understanding of the workings of the human body? Then you might come out OK...

I actually do have a B.S., I was a Navy Hospital Corpsman, and have spent the past 10 years working as an ALS ER Tech (7 of which in a trauma center). While, up until September of this year, I have had absolutely zero pre-hospital experience, I do have a very solid medical/educational background. I have all the prerequisites to enter medical school... if I so chose to

I have no doubt that I will be an outstanding Paramedic... although, I do realize that this may not be the case with many who attempt/complete such a program.

Well then, you will know what to expect when you enter the profession. The same type of disrespect nurses that attend total on-line or abbreviated programs.

What else could one expect from shake & bake programs?

R/r 911

I already have the respect of the EMS community in my area. I have worked with most of them for well over a decade (and precepted some during their ER clinicals), and they are quite familiar with the skills/knowledge that I possess. I guess we'll see what the future holds when I do leave the area, but I'm confident that respect will not be an issue for me :)

Last edited by a moderator:

medic417

The Truth Provider
I actually do have a B.S., I was a Navy Hospital Corpsman, and have spent the past 10 years working as an ALS ER Tech (7 of which in a trauma center). While, up until September of this year, I have had absolutely zero pre-hospital experience, I do have a very solid medical/educational background. I have all the prerequisites to enter medical school... if I so chose to

You then probably could come out good because it sounds like you will really not be learning anything new, just getting the rquired hours to go into the field. But sadly many of your classmates will not have that and while they may pass and get their cert they really will have no idea what they are doing.

VentMedic

Forum Chief

I have no doubt that I will be an outstanding Paramedic... although, I do realize that this may not be the case with many who attempt/complete such a program.

I already have the respect of the EMS community in my area. I have worked with most of them for well over a decade (and precepted some during their ER clinicals), and they are quite familiar with the skills/knowledge that I possess. I guess we'll see what the future holds when I do leave the area, but I'm confident that respect will not be an issue for me :)

What are you going to do after you get your Paramedic?

The one thing that frustrates Paramedics in the field who do have/get higher education is that they will still be working with 3 month wonders who believe they know everything about medicine and have absolutely no desire to get more education. Thus, the educated may then leave the field to find people who do share a common interest in learning more about medicine.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru

The reason you have respect is that you are probably already competent. Your background as having a B.S. and a respected program places you in a different category. As Vent described though you probably be amazed at the poor attempt of "cramming" the needed knowledge into a short program and then attempting them to go into clinical practice.

I would definitely stress that your education is primary from collegiate studies and military background than that of a accelerated program.

R/r 911

alphatrauma

Forum Captain
What are you going to do after you get your Paramedic?

Straight into pediatrics.

I'd have to say that peds is my Achilles heel, and I would like to initially focus on that segment of the population for a while. Children's Hospital ER/ICU/CCU, will be my areas of interest... then hopefully Pediatric Transport Team. Meanwhile, I'll be giving every moment I can spare (at least 72/mo) to the local volunteer rescue squad.