Accelerated AEMT Course (clinicals)

sparker49

Forum Ride Along
I am in an accelerated one semester Advanced EMT course and we begin clinical rotations in 2 weeks. My instructors have been great and we will have gone over everything we are required to know by the time clinical start ie, IV, Pharmacology, etc. Although I wouldn't say I feel unconfident with clinical I am definitely nervous. What should I expect from both my County services and Hospital services? What is the best way to not only get through my requirements but to learn as much as possible while out in the field?

Thanks, A nervous and excited student.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Not to be vague, but every clinical experience is different.

Depends on the volume of the service, experience of the preceptors, your comfort level, patient acuity… I mean, you could have a great time and get LOTS of experience or you could spend 96 hours running low rent BLS with no opportunities for any Advanced level intervention. You could engage with the crew and learn or you could sit on the couch and complain about it.

You’ll get out of a clinical experience exactly equal to what you put in. If you’re engaged and actively working to learn and grow, your preceptor will see that and help you. If you expect it tn be handed to you, well… you’ll have a bad time.

Good luck.

OP
OP
S

sparker49

Forum Ride Along
Not to be vague, but every clinical experience is different.

Depends on the volume of the service, experience of the preceptors, your comfort level, patient acuity… I mean, you could have a great time and get LOTS of experience or you could spend 96 hours running low rent BLS with no opportunities for any Advanced level intervention. You could engage with the crew and learn or you could sit on the couch and complain about it.

You’ll get out of a clinical experience exactly equal to what you put in. If you’re engaged and actively working to learn and grow, your preceptor will see that and help you. If you expect it tn be handed to you, well… you’ll have a bad time.

Good luck.
I don't plan to sit on my *** haha. I am excited just the nerves of anticipation I suppose. The only way to learn or get better is to try and fail and then try again. I'll be working in and around Nashville TN so hopefully call volume and opportunity for everything from EMR skills all the way to Advanced will be available. Thank you for the advice!!