Abnormal BP sounds

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
The other day I was auscultating a BP and heard something weird.

I started to hear a high-pitched ticking or clicking in the 140s. This was a sound similar to what you'd hear if you tap a pen on a desk. But at around 110, I began to hear the more typical low-pitched thumping, which I heard down to 80, so I reported his BP as 110/80.

Pt.'s other vitals were HR of 110-120, RR of 40-54 (double-checked), skin warm, moist, and pink, and eyes PERRL. Complaint was chest pain, overall weakness and "feeling sick", with a fever that at one point was allegedly 105 but was 100.1 for us. This was a twenty-something male.

These vitals were obtained by me inside the house. We had the pt. walk out to the ambulance and the paramedic used the LP12, which obtained a BP of 149/81. Next check several minutes later was a systolic in the low 140s, diastolic remaining pretty much the same. Another BP after that was, if I recall, in the 130s over, again, a low-80 diastolic.

At the first LP12 BP, I thought perhaps it had elevated from walking out to the ambulance, but it never came back down to what I thought I heard. In fact the paramedic administered NTG, per protocol according to him for the chest pain, although he did say he suspected it wasn't going to help; and after the NTG, the systolic only came down into the 120s, with the diastolic continuing to remain in the low-80s.

So my question is what was this higher-pitched sound I heard at first, up in the 140s, and was that his true BP?

Bieber

Forum Crew Member
To be honest, I'm not familiar with abnormal blood pressure sounds aside from an audible thrill (which, by the way, is a wild sound to hear the first time). Are you sure it wasn't artifact?

Trip

Forum Probie
Were you on a moving ambulance? Sometimes, if I let my stethoscope slack, it taps against the cot rail. Some of the double tube with tap against itself. And sometimes, the cuff, tubes, meter or bulb may tap. There's a lot of possibilities, and it may help to know what was going on around you and the equipment you use. Chances are it was an external source.

Tommerag

What day is it?
Were you on a moving ambulance? Sometimes, if I let my stethoscope slack, it taps against the cot rail. Some of the double tube with tap against itself. And sometimes, the cuff, tubes, meter or bulb may tap. There's a lot of possibilities, and it may help to know what was going on around you and the equipment you use. Chances are it was an external source.

It was in the house. Thats weird I've never heard anything like that when taking a BP.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
My first thought was pericarditis or Proto-diastolic gallop, perhaps... I'm not sure if that can be auscultated during BP however..

Paging Veney-Feeky, Ridryder911, or Brown..

Hockey

Quackers
My first thought was pericarditis or Proto-diastolic gallop, perhaps... I'm not sure if that can be auscultated during BP however..

Yeah same here but I don't think it can be heard via taking BP.

PE? AAA? Odd I know but...?

Trip

Forum Probie
Ok, I found this... hope it helps... The third of five sounds he describes is a "crisp tapping":

Korotkoff actually described five types of sounds:

1. The first Korotkoff sound is the snapping sound first heard at the systolic pressure. Clear tapping, repetitive sounds for at least two consecutive beats is considered the systolic pressure.
2. The second sounds are the murmurs heard for most of the area between the systolic and diastolic pressures.
3. The third sound was described as a loud, crisp tapping sound.
4. The fourth sound, at pressures within 10 mmHg above the diastolic blood pressure, was described as "thumping" and "muting".
5. The fifth Korotkoff sound is silence as the cuff pressure drops below the diastolic blood pressure. The disappearance of sound is considered diastolic blood pressure -- 2 mmHg above the last sound heard.

The second and third Korotkoff sounds have no known clinical significance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korotkoff_sounds

Trip

Last edited by a moderator:

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus

Yeah same here but I don't think it can be heard via taking BP.

PE? AAA? Odd I know but...?

Ok, call me crazy, but wouldn't a sound heard while auscultating over the brachial artery most likely originate from the brachial artery?