A quick rant about last night..

hrmeeks

Forum Crew Member
I am under the impression that all of this is directed at me, not at biggee. If not, ignore this whole response :p

Eric

Humor does not translate well in type. Alot of the "jumping on" comes as intended humor. You are right on alot of your points, problem being cockyness and thick skin are not shirt that go on or come off easy. Not saying any of it is right or fair. Just letting you know it s the nature of the beast. You may just have to learn to put up with it. Many of us get bitter quickly.
As for the stress related deaths its a major contribuiting factor in all of us. Just burried a good friend and former coworker bout 3 weeks ago 36 y/o b m in top physical shape ff/emt in a busy and rough part of memphis. Anurism went pop and 3 days later pulled him off the vent and let him go.
Man dont know what to tell you other than death sucks for the living but in the end its just the next stage in living.

And the thanks is for being willing to support or listen or what ever even if onone uses it.

And I thought the Darlene joke was kinda funny (scrubs)

medic417

The Truth Provider
What is this paramilitary crap? A lot of EMS are not fire.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
As for the stress related deaths its a major contribuiting factor in all of us. Just burried a good friend and former coworker bout 3 weeks ago 36 y/o b m in top physical shape ff/emt in a busy and rough part of memphis. Anurism went pop and 3 days later pulled him off the vent and let him go.
Man dont know what to tell you other than death sucks for the living but in the end its just the next stage in living.

Sorry for your loss. 36 is WAY too young to die. May he rest in peace.

And the thanks is for being willing to support or listen or what ever even if onone uses it.

I can't believe I missed that. My bad :blush:

Anytime. I seriously hope that I can help anybody whenever they need it.

And I thought the Darlene joke was kinda funny (scrubs)

No hard feelings sir. I didn't take it for what it was. I thought you were being degrading, which was my fault. Now that I see what you meant, it is pretty funny :p. Scrubs was a great show

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Its a very paramilitary style industry, again just how a lot of people are on the job

I know what you mean. I hope to be paramilitary when I am on the job, and I hope that the rest of the department I work for (hopefully Boston EMS) is the same.

But still, that doesn't mean that everybody should be short-tempered and degrading.

Eric

medic417

The Truth Provider
I know what you mean. I hope to be paramilitary when I am on the job, and I hope that the rest of the department I work for (hopefully Boston EMS) is the same.

But still, that doesn't mean that everybody should be short-tempered and degrading.

Eric

Why? We are medical professionals. Do you see them acting paramilitary at the hospital? No. So why should we?

hrmeeks

Forum Crew Member
What is this paramilitary crap? A lot of EMS are not fire.
I ll spare you the prehospital hx lesson, nor did I say I was fire. But many of our traditions come from those areas. Hell even the ranking system in this community come from that.

medic417

The Truth Provider
I ll spare you the prehospital hx lesson, nor did I say I was fire. But many of our traditions come from those areas. Hell even the ranking system in this community come from that.

And tradition is what is wrong with EMS. Should we go back to just placing patient in the back and deciding whether to take them back to our funeral home or to the hospital? It is time that we become Pre Hospital Medical Professionals that practice proven medicine not do things because bubba did it that way 50 years ago.

Plus I know very few services that use rank unless they are fire.

hrmeeks

Forum Crew Member
Why? We are medical professionals. Do you see them acting paramilitary at the hospital? No. So why should we?

Many of those in the hospital do not have the dicipline respect integerity comrodardy to make it in the feild either. The ones that do mostly come from military or similar backgrounds(PD FD EMS) I am just saying there are many similarlities.

BTW Spelling is not my strong suit

No offense to the hospital only people out there

Last edited by a moderator:

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
Here is my problem with this "rant": "Now I sit at my day job in a daze because someone couldn't have their girlfriend drive them 20 mins to a hospital, although it wasn't even an ER treatable condition!!!"

How do we know it wasn't a treatable condition? Especially nowadays with the H1N1 flu deemed a pandemic. Too many times I see EMT's say "oh this was a bullsh*t call", only to find out it was a true emergency. Want examples? See ectopic pregnancies and mesenteric infarcts as "bullsh*t abdominal pain" calls. Yes, plenty of times these patients get discharged as quickly as we brought them in. But that's not our call to deem it as BS or not.

Yes, you're a volunteer, and you're proud of it...but if that's the case, why get upset that you have to sit in a daze at your day job? Isn't that part of the risk/reward of signing up for the night shift when you work the next day? What if you were up that night on a status asthmaticus patient? Would you still be complaining about it? Yes, most of us on here wouldn't call for an ambulance for feeling sick for a few hours...but some people don't know any better. Be fortunate your transport time wasn't longer.

hrmeeks

Forum Crew Member
Here is my problem with this "rant": "Now I sit at my day job in a daze because someone couldn't have their girlfriend drive them 20 mins to a hospital, although it wasn't even an ER treatable condition!!!"

How do we know it wasn't a treatable condition? Especially nowadays with the H1N1 flu deemed a pandemic. Too many times I see EMT's say "oh this was a bullsh*t call", only to find out it was a true emergency. Want examples? See ectopic pregnancies and mesenteric infarcts as "bullsh*t abdominal pain" calls. Yes, plenty of times these patients get discharged as quickly as we brought them in. But that's not our call to deem it as BS or not.

Yes, you're a volunteer, and you're proud of it...but if that's the case, why get upset that you have to sit in a daze at your day job? Isn't that part of the risk/reward of signing up for the night shift when you work the next day? What if you were up that night on a status asthmaticus patient? Would you still be complaining about it? Yes, most of us on here wouldn't call for an ambulance for feeling sick for a few hours...but some people don't know any better. Be fortunate your transport time wasn't longer.

Thanks for bringing us back on topic

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic

I am talking mostly about paramilitary uniforms. I believe that it is important for any public servant to look professional, and paramilitary uniforms help achieve that professionalism. Doctors and nurses are a little bit different from EMS providers. Just because somebody is in a paramilitary uniform does not mean they are a bad EMS provider.

medic417

The Truth Provider
I am talking mostly about paramilitary uniforms. I believe that it is important for any public servant to look professional, and paramilitary uniforms help achieve that professionalism. Doctors and nurses are a little bit different from EMS providers. Just because somebody is in a paramilitary uniform does not mean they are a bad EMS provider.

Why do we not wear medical style clothing? We can look professional w/o looking like a cop.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Why do we not wear medical style clothing? We can look professional w/o looking like a cop.

I guess for each his own. You prefer medical-style clothing, I prefer military style clothing. Either one gets the job done.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Here is why there is frustration with many of the original posts. If one did this full time, in a high level call volume, one would automatically know that this is a routine deal. In a shift of responding to 15+ more calls a shift, 3-4 could be called B.S. In reality, you are a health care provider and the service you are providing is just that .... as service. The same attitude one attempts to maintain in the ED when treating a chronic toothache, STD's, etc... all that could had been treated better and cheaper through their PCP or clinic. Again, it's just part of the job... and those that do work in it; realizes it very fast.

It would be nice if life was as simple as the idealogy we have for EMS or even similar to the patients presented in EMT text books. It is black & white..... real life is all gray.

Here is a link Thom **** wrote regarding something similar to our discussion; please read it.
www.emsresponder.com/print/EMS-Magazine/Cant-Pee--Eh/1$9638
You can see it is common. Common enough that those of us that deal with it everyday do not understand even venting about it. It just makes us notice that you are getting a taste of real EMS. Personally, it sounds like whining, alike if someone complained about standing in line to be served... it's just part of life.

Last edited by a moderator:

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Here is why there is frustration with many of the original posts. If one did this full time, in a high level call volume, one would automatically know that this is a routine deal. In a shift of responding to 15+ more calls a shift, 3-4 could be called B.S. In reality, you are a health care provider and the service you are providing is just that .... as service. The same attitude one attempts to maintain in the ED when treating a chronic toothache, STD's, etc... all that could had been treated better and cheaper through their PCP or clinic. Again, it's just part of the job... and those that do work in it; realizes it very fast.

It would be nice if life was as simple as the idealogy we have for EMS or even similar to the patients presented in EMT text books. It is black & white..... real life is all gray.

Here is a link Thom **** wrote regarding something similar to our discussion; please read it.
www.emsresponder.com/print/EMS-Magazine/Cant-Pee--Eh/1$9638
You can see it is common. Common enough that those of us that deal with it everyday do not understand even venting about it. It just makes us notice that you are getting a taste of real EMS. Personally, it sounds like whining, alike if someone complained about standing in line to be served... it's just part of life.

You have a fair point sir. I guess, on the most basic level, all the arguments in this thread can be chalked up to a culture difference. There is nothing wrong with working in a service where there are not many calls, just as there is nothing wrong with working in a service with a lot of calls. All I am saying is that people should just be more respectful and supportive, or they shouldn't get involved. If you (not you, rid, a general "you") don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything.

Eric