A&P Slight Befuddlement

CityEMT212

Forum Crew Member
Hello EMS family,

I'm having a bit of a burdensome time grasping a complete understanding of the heart in my EMT class; (semi-thankfully, I'm not alone in this feeling in my class). Atrium, vena cavae, directional blood flow, etc... Is there any advice on memorization or comprehension techniques that you all can offer?

~ LV

Summit

Critical Crazy

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Hello EMS family,

I'm having a bit of a burdensome time grasping a complete understanding of the heart in my EMT class; (semi-thankfully, I'm not alone in this feeling in my class). Atrium, vena cavae, directional blood flow, etc... Is there any advice on memorization or comprehension techniques that you all can offer?

Even though the heart is a single organ, functionally the sides of the heart are pretty distinct, so it helps a lot to visualize them as two separate pumps: the right heart and the left heart.

Right heart:
- the vena cava delivers de-oxygenated blood to the right atrium
- the right atrium pumps blood through the tricuspid valve into the right ventricle
- the right ventricle pumps blood through the pulmonic valve into the pulmonary artery, which goes to the lungs

Left heart:
- the left atrium receives freshly oxygenated blood from the lungs via the pulmonary vein
- the left atrium pumps blood through the mitral valve into the left ventricle
- the left ventricle pumps blood through the aortic valve into the aorta, which delivers blood to the body.

Does it help at all to visualize them separately like that?

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
For me, I just kept drawing and labeling it over and over. Even 8 years after EMT school, I still remember how to do it, lol.

fjgx89N.png

OP
OP
CityEMT212

CityEMT212

Forum Crew Member
For me, I just kept drawing and labeling it over and over. Even 8 years after EMT school, I still remember how to do it, lol.

fjgx89N.png

APRZ,

Thanks for the drawing, I'm a visual learner. I appreciate it.

OP
OP
CityEMT212

CityEMT212

Forum Crew Member
Even though the heart is a single organ, functionally the sides of the heart are pretty distinct, so it helps a lot to visualize them as two separate pumps: the right heart and the left heart.

Right heart:
- the vena cava delivers de-oxygenated blood to the right atrium
- the right atrium pumps blood through the tricuspid valve into the right ventricle
- the right ventricle pumps blood through the pulmonic valve into the pulmonary artery, which goes to the lungs

Left heart:
- the left atrium receives freshly oxygenated blood from the lungs via the pulmonary vein
- the left atrium pumps blood through the mitral valve into the left ventricle
- the left ventricle pumps blood through the aortic valve into the aorta, which delivers blood to the body.

Does it help at all to visualize them separately like that?

Remi,

I appreciate the detailed break down. It makes sense when listed this way. Thanks.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
always try before you buy, so tricupid valve is before bicuspid valve.

Also remember the ventricle have to push blood to the entire body, and out to the lungs, which is why they are so much thicker than the atrium.

OP
OP
CityEMT212

CityEMT212

Forum Crew Member
Remi,

Thanks for that - I would not have made that distinction on my own... I'll use that for my study group this weekend!

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
Remi,

Thanks for that - I would not have made that distinction on my own... I'll use that for my study group this weekend!

But don't be confused by the fact that the aortic valve is a "tricuspid" (tri-leaflet) valve too. We just name it by it's position and not by it's structure. Calling a valve the "bicuspid" valve risks confusing the pulmonic and mitral valves.

Hendrik

Forum Ride Along
Hello EMS family,

~ LV
I like teaching it to new EMT's in the following manner. Break down the flow into the 5 basic steps.
1. Blood goes to the Right Atrium (RA)
2. RA to RV via the Tricuspid Valve (you ride a tricycle before you get to ride a bicycle - not applicable to Chuck Norris)
3. RV to lungs and back to LA
4. LA to LV via Bicuspid valve
5. LV to aorta via the aortic valve

This is the most basic 5 steps of cardiac blood flow. Once you feel comfortable with these 5 steps start adding to each step with details; for example, Step 1. Oxygen-poor blood goes to the Right Atrium (RA) via the superior and inferior vena cava.

I find that most students learn better this way, adding little by little as they get more comfortable with the basics. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
CityEMT212

CityEMT212

Forum Crew Member
always try before you buy, so tricupid valve is before bicuspid valve.

Also remember the ventricle have to push blood to the entire body, and out to the lungs, which is why they are so much thicker than the atrium.
Dr., that makes perfect sense of course. Thanks.

OP
OP
CityEMT212

CityEMT212

Forum Crew Member
I like teaching it to new EMT's in the following manner. Break down the flow into the 5 basic steps.
1. Blood goes to the Right Atrium (RA)
2. RA to RV via the Tricuspid Valve (you ride a tricycle before you get to ride a bicycle - not applicable to Chuck Norris)
3. RV to lungs and back to LA
4. LA to LV via Bicuspid valve
5. LV to aorta via the aortic valve

This is the most basic 5 steps of cardiac blood flow. Once you feel comfortable with these 5 steps start adding to each step with details; for example, Step 1. Oxygen-poor blood goes to the Right Atrium (RA) via the superior and inferior vena cava.

I find that most students learn better this way, adding little by little as they get more comfortable with the basics. Hope this helps.
Hi Hendrik.

For number three it's via the pulmonary artery...?

Hendrik

Forum Ride Along
Hi Hendrik.

For number three it's via the pulmonary artery...?
Yes, blood will flow from the RA via the pulmonary valve into the pulmonary artery - pulmonary vein - LA.
Just keep repeating the flow and it will commit to long-term memory. Good luck