A newcomer in every sense of the word.

Ansible

Forum Ride Along
Greetings everyone, and happy holidays! I am currently a college student who is interested in being an EMT in the Atlanta area, but have no idea where to start.

I've ghosted on this site for a little while, but this if my first post, so advice of any kind would be appreciated.

Here is my question: where would be a good place to start prepping for this kind of a job? What kind of place should I look at for a training program, and what should I buff up on before-hand?

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Here is my question: where would be a good place to start prepping for this kind of a job? What kind of place should I look at for a training program, and what should I buff up on before-hand?

A good program will teach you most of the head knowledge you need to work as an EMT, but if you want something extra, go for a basic anatomy and physiology textbook, so you have some basis to understand the conditions of your patients. The real learning, however, happens in the field, so you are best off if you find an EMS system with a good field training program.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Is there any chance you could do a ride-along in a 911 system before you commit to an EMT class?

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
Is there any chance you could do a ride-along in a 911 system before you commit to an EMT class?

Such a simple bit of advice but probably the single best that could be offered to a person before they get started. I have always been curious how people can take on even a basic class let alone start medic school before they have even seen what they may be asked to do. Even if you factor out the real negatives there are still several things about this line of work that one should be aware of before they make an investment in time or money on training of any kind.

Most departments will allow civilians to ride out so finding one should not be a problem. You could always try the forums over at firehouse.com if your having trouble locating a department or agency that offers ride alongs. Doing as much research about what this line of work has to offer is the best advice you will receive. Also putting together a long term plan outlining your goals will be a big help. Having a five year plan may seem a bit much but you would be surprised how fast the time will pass you by. Making sure you are taking the right classes according to your goals is something you also want to think about.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bubz628

Forum Probie
I think it would be a great idea to do a ride-along before starting an EMT class. It would give you a great general idea of what you're gonna be getting into before you actually do. There was a girl in my class that actually dropped out right after she did her clinicals because she couldn't handle being at the scene of one of the calls. It was a housefire, and she saw a couple of the bodies after they were burned. She said it was too much. She couldn't do it anymore.

medic417

The Truth Provider
I think it would be a great idea to do a ride-along before starting an EMT class. It would give you a great general idea of what you're gonna be getting into before you actually do. There was a girl in my class that actually dropped out right after she did her clinicals because she couldn't handle being at the scene of one of the calls. It was a housefire, and she saw a couple of the bodies after they were burned. She said it was too much. She couldn't do it anymore.

Doing ride outs w/o education would not have made any difference. These events thankfully are not an everyday occurrence and even seasoned people sometimes find something that drives them away.

OP
OP
A

Ansible

Forum Ride Along
For ghosting on a 911 service, where do you think is a good place to start? There are a few large hospitals in the Atlanta area, the biggest Grady. Is that a good place to begin, or should I look for a smaller hospitable?