A helping hand wound.

Fulch

Forum Probie
Hi, This is my first new thread,I'm sorry if its rubbish, here goes.:)

This is a situation that happened last night involving a friend who has just become a EMT (been working a couple of months). We were at a bar with some friends when one of the girls near by accidently broke a glass and cut her hand quite badly. Everyone paniced including the staff, but my friend stepped in and helped the girl. During the commotion he identified himself as an EMT, mostly to stop other "helpers" from making the situation worse and panicing the girl (who was actually quite calm considering the mess she made of her hand). After he had done all he could, the bouncer told us that there was an urgent care place two blocks down and so we walked her there to get her stiched up (9 stiches).

My question is in two parts:

1.We had been drinking, not wasted but drunk, was it a good idea for him to mention that he was an EMT, could that get him in trouble?
2. Obviously the girl needed help, he was the only one with any idea what to do and he helped, but at what point do you say ok, I'm trained for this but I've also been drinking, perhaps i should't get involved? (I know that off duty, you have not obligation to help out but sometimes it's hard to turn your back, especially when pretty girls are involved :p)

I'm sorry if this is a sounds like a stupid question but I've been thinking about it all day and can't settle on a definative answer. So i thought i would throw it out to you guys with more experiance than me and try and learn something.

Thanks for your time.

Epi-do

I see dead people
My question is in two parts:

1.We had been drinking, not wasted but drunk, was it a good idea for him to mention that he was an EMT, could that get him in trouble?
2. Obviously the girl needed help, he was the only one with any idea what to do and he helped, but at what point do you say ok, I'm trained for this but I've also been drinking, perhaps i should't get involved? (I know that off duty, you have not obligation to help out but sometimes it's hard to turn your back, especially when pretty girls are involved :p)

Keep in mind that this is simply my opinion, but in my book consuming alcohol = keep walking. If you simply cannot do that, do not identify yourself as having any sort of EMS training/education. While it sounds like the situation you presented was pretty minor, not all situations are and there are plenty of lawsuit-happy people out there. Why give them any ammunition to use against you?

Of course, the majority of the time, even if I haven't been drinking, I will keep walking anymore. If they need EMS, the call has most likely already been made so why get involved and end up in someone else's way? When I am not at work, I am off duty - I have no equipment and cannot function at the level of my certification. It's best to let those that have the resources take care of the situation.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
My advice would be to let others handle it. If you feel the need to handle it, do not identify other than "I know first aid", then keep on walking. Appear, then disappear.

Another option is to direct treatment, "Grab that napkin, and put pressure on her hand. Elevate it." Your ability to recite treatments might be more intact than your physical ability to treat, if you have been drinking.

Last edited by a moderator:

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Do not advertise that you are an EMT. Although I would typically avoid assisting while intoxicated, if someone is actively bleeding quite a bit and no one is helping, I would find it difficult to not step in and help do something as easy as apply pressure.