a few questions

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Who are you to say that an EMT-B who operates in a system that allows them to start IV therapy is not an EMT-B? Are systems that allow EMT-Bs to acquire and transmit 12 lead ECGs not EMT-Bs? How about systems that allow EMT-Bs to use advanced airways? Use non-prescribed autoinjectors?

Simple. It is not in part of the National Curriculum. Sure states can mandate and change, but that does not mean it is right. There is a reason they are called BASIC for a reason.

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
I'll leave the I.V. stuff alone but in my basic class we were taught/ trained how to constitute and administer glucagon and we did give other students injections (of saline) in class to practice application on actual patients. No IV's for basics here.

For extrication maybe people have different definitions of extrication but here we have FD cut the car up while we are treating the pt as best we can and maintaining C-spine. Once we have pt access it's our scene and they assist us usually holding the board steady while we spin the patient and slide them onto the board as it's almost impossible to do maintaining C-spine with 2 rescuers. Are some of you saying that it's the FD's job until they have the pt out on the board or am I mis-reading something.

reaper

Working Bum
As an EMT-B, yes they are out of the scope of practice. If there are states that allowed EMT-Bs to be trained in IV therapy, then sure, they can initiate IV therapy. But then again, they're not just an EMT-B. They're an EMT-B who is trained in IV therapy. So in a way, I'm still right. Isn't semantics fun?

But, they are still EMT-B's, not another cert. that was named for it! In FL EMT's can preform IV's, if they are trained in it. This is not a state cert. This is a county by county preference. They are still EMT-B's under state law. This is up to the Medical Director to train in this.

gillysaurus

Forum Lieutenant
As an EMT-B, yes they are out of the scope of practice. If there are states that allowed EMT-Bs to be trained in IV therapy, then sure, they can initiate IV therapy. But then again, they're not just an EMT-B. They're an EMT-B who is trained in IV therapy. So in a way, I'm still right. Isn't semantics fun?

In Colorado, EMT-Bs are able to preform IV therapy after 24 hours of class time and 8-12 hours of clinical time (with at least 10 successful sticks).

They call them EMT-B IV. But yes, they're still basics!

flhtci01

Forum Captain
Are systems that allow EMT-Bs to acquire and transmit 12 lead ECGs not EMT-Bs? How about systems that allow EMT-Bs to use advanced airways?

In two of the services I work with (different states) allow EMT-Bs to aquire and transmit 12 lead. However, they are NOT allowed to INTERPRET the trace.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
In Colorado, EMT-Bs are able to preform IV therapy after 24 hours of class time and 8-12 hours of clinical time (with at least 10 successful sticks).

They call them EMT-B IV. But yes, they're still basics!

But they're EMT-B IVs. They aren't JUST a basic (no offense intended to my fellow basics).

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
Are some of you saying that it's the FD's job until they have the pt out on the board or am I mis-reading something.

You're misreading. It's FD's job to obtain access to the patient. Once access is obtained, we treat.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
It's FD's job to obtain access to the patient. Once access is obtained, we treat.

That maybe your local rationale, but in general it is not always true. I personally will crawl into a vehicle etc, to access patient and start care. It is the FD to assist and extricate the patient.

R/r 911

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
But they're EMT-B IVs. They aren't JUST a basic (no offense intended to my fellow basics).

I am an EMT-B. My certificiation is EMT-Basic and I work for a BLS agency. I also have an IV cert. My scope of practice is EMT-B, my protocols are EMT-B. I do have an additional skill which as an EMT-B I am able to use. And I LOVE semantics. My state, and many others allow EMT-Bs to obtain certification as IV techs. I'm still an EMT-B, it says so on my card.