A-EMT Course in NYS

Bligger

Forum Ride Along
Is anyone aware of a A-EMT course in NYS?

NYC doesn't give it, because they don't recognize that training as more than a EMT-B. Other counties or cities may offer it. But I'm wondering where

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
They all seem to be way upstate (SUNY Upstate runs one, there are some out in Erie County and in Niagara County, as well as Broome). I have been looking in the northern suburbs of NYC (Dutchess County and south from there) and haven’t had much luck.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
If the state doesn’t recognize the certification level, why are you looking for the class?

OP
OP
Bligger

Bligger

Forum Ride Along
NYS does recognize it. It's NYC that doesn't recognize it.

And besides. It's the knowledge that counts, without the hassle of the EMT-P hours

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
NYS does recognize it. It's NYC that doesn't recognize it.

And besides. It's the knowledge that counts, without the hassle of the EMT-P hours
True, valid in NYS (mostly) but not in NYC. I wouldn't phrase it that way - I would say AEMT allows you to expand your scope to some of the core ALS skills. The approach of "a Medic course is too long" is what got us into the mess of the EMT-CC for all those years.

Sled Driver

In a Wuhan Wet Market
They all seem to be way upstate (SUNY Upstate runs one, there are some out in Erie County and in Niagara County, as well as Broome). I have been looking in the northern suburbs of NYC (Dutchess County and south from there) and haven’t had much luck.
Nassau County Fire Police Academy usually offers 2 classes per year.