A degree in fire science

SunshineCamo

Forum Lieutenant
Thinking for what I'm going to do after getting my Paramedic degree next year, I'm considering going into the fire service. In my area, you pretty much have to work for the fire department, so it just kind of makes sense. Here's my question. I'm getting an AS in Emergency Medical Service. My school also offers an AS in Fire Sciences. But I'm not sure having two AS degrees would really make me any more marketable.

So is it worth it to invest in the Fire Science degree versus just getting the certificate for Fire 1?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I don't see having two associates making you more marketable. Get your fire cert knocked out, and consider going on to get your bachelors. There are plenty of options for a bachelor degree out there that could be more beneficial to your career- much more than a second associates in fire science.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
If you want to work, obviously get your Fire I and II completed.

If you have the time/drive/money/ability now to obtain a fire science degree...get that as well. No harm in taking advantage now if the opportunity is available for you.

In Florida, once you get a job, you are paid extra for AS degrees and higher, so there is benefit long term over your career to getting that paper now. Additionally, it will be viewed as favorable to have, especially when promotion time comes around-some departments give points for that. Also, some departments will not let you advance past certain ranks without having at least an AS. In short, it is a great career move to obtain now however it is not needed to gain employment in Orlando or surrounding areas. The payoff comes after you are hired.

There is nothing wrong with being on a career path as a rookie even though people will give you grief about it. You have to do what is right for you. I just encourage you if you are indeed this ambitious, just keep it to yourself for a few years and continue to advance your education before making it well known your intent. Take time to figure out who will be allies, mentors and who will seek ways to stand in your way. Unfortunately it does happen in the world of "brothers".

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
It used to be that having degrees made if easier to land a job. While that may be true today, a degree is nowhere near as valuable as it was ten years ago.

I'd finish your first degree, land a job, and then start the second. Today degrees are most useful in technical careers for advancement and increased pay. While they likely won't get you a job in this field, they will certainly help you advance your career and climb the ladder.

Good luck!

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
land a job

My point was...if he is in student mode and is in no rush to do the above...then go ahead and knock out second degree now...especially if you are able to do so (have other support, have time, whatever). The degree will pay for itself in his soon to be profession but if he goes out and lands a job right away then he may never return to do it or severely delay it.

This is not the advice I give to everyone for the record. Again, just saying if you are in full time student mode and not in a situation where you NEED to get working as opposed to WANTING to work, then finish the education.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I agree with you, it's just that there are a lot of qualified people out there unemployed or underemployed.

OP
OP
S

SunshineCamo

Forum Lieutenant
If you want to work, obviously get your Fire I and II completed.

If you have the time/drive/money/ability now to obtain a fire science degree...get that as well. No harm in taking advantage now if the opportunity is available for you.

In Florida, once you get a job, you are paid extra for AS degrees and higher, so there is benefit long term over your career to getting that paper now. Additionally, it will be viewed as favorable to have, especially when promotion time comes around-some departments give points for that. Also, some departments will not let you advance past certain ranks without having at least an AS. In short, it is a great career move to obtain now however it is not needed to gain employment in Orlando or surrounding areas. The payoff comes after you are hired.

There is nothing wrong with being on a career path as a rookie even though people will give you grief about it. You have to do what is right for you. I just encourage you if you are indeed this ambitious, just keep it to yourself for a few years and continue to advance your education before making it well known your intent. Take time to figure out who will be allies, mentors and who will seek ways to stand in your way. Unfortunately it does happen in the world of "brothers".

Yeah, I would definitely get the certifications first so I could start looking for a job and finish the degree afterwards. No sense in keeping myself out of work any longer than I need to. But yeah, I'm in a pretty good position to do this degree because of the GI Bill. That housing allowance is pretty nice.

I hadn't even thought about how it might looking coming in with a degree as a rookie. I suppose like anything else it's about playing your cards close to your chest at all times. Just like in the Army, not everyone is your battle buddy.

So it sounds like in the long run it is definitely worth it to get the degree in Fire Sciences. Thanks for the great input guys, I really appreciate it.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
EMS degree, then the state fire school if you plan on staying in FL. Otherwise, the paramedic cert by itself is enough to get you hired in many large fire/EMS departments. I wouldn't waste my time on a Fire Science degree since you will already have a two year degree in EMS.

In the Fire Service, for promotional lists, points are given based on education. Points are given for college credits, a two year degree, a four year degree, etc. You can't count two Associate's degrees as having a Bachelor's. You have to actually have a four year degree.

For the fire service, you want to have a degree that will make you marketable outside of the department you work in, or a degree that will apply for preferred qualifications for a Capt. or Chief level position. You want to be able to retire or leave your department, and be competitve for a Chief's position in another department so that you can get started on a second pension.

I would recommend against a medical degree past the EMS AAS. There are currently none available online. It's simply not worth it to take all that leave, and do tons of shift exchanges to make time to show up for classes, since you'll now be on rotating shift work. I'm finishing the AAS in EMS now (I'm already a medic with 5+ years OTJ in fire/EMS. After that, I'm going for a Bachelor's in Emergency Management (all distance asynchronous) with a minor in Business Admin. That would be an example of a useful degree, unlike Fire Science, which is not necessary to get hired, and is not employable outside of a FF job.

Hope this helps.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Fire science degrees are generally worthless. Lots of firefighters get them after they get hired, but they really don't help you get hired. This is coming from many many firefighters I know, too many of whom got hired with just a HS dipoloma.

Now, when you are looking for a promotion, or a post retirement career, then a bachelors or masters becomes very important.

Get your associates in paramedicine, along with your paramedic cert. get on the job, and then immeidately look at obtaining a bachelors degree. Getting a Fire Science degree won't help you, at least this early in your career.

Mariemt

Forum Captain
Having a paramedic degree means you have a majority of what you need for an rn minus the nursing concepts.
Get your rn degree and go on to your bsn.
Your rn won't take as long as you think figuring you have a large amount of the classes out of the way.

Just my .02

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Having a paramedic degree means you have a majority of what you need for an rn minus the nursing concepts.
Your rn won't take as long as you think figuring you have a large amount of the classes out of the way.

Just my .02

If anyone wants to earn a medical degree of any kind, I would recommend doing it before entering into a job with rotating shift work. There aren't any worthwhile medical degrees I'm aware of that are 100% online. Getting approved for leave and setting up shift exchanges (that need to be paid back) can be very challenging. You could be held at work for forced OT, and then fail out of the program due to absences, which is a definite possibility in EMS and fire.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Fire science degrees are generally worthless. Lots of firefighters get them after they get hired, but they really don't help you get hired. This is coming from many many firefighters I know, too many of whom got hired with just a HS dipoloma.

Now, when you are looking for a promotion, or a post retirement career, then a bachelors or masters becomes very important.

Get your associates in paramedicine, along with your paramedic cert. get on the job, and then immeidately look at obtaining a bachelors degree. Getting a Fire Science degree won't help you, at least this early in your career.

The only thing a Fire Science degree is good for is educational points on a promotional exam. A lot of people do that because it's easy and convenient. It's a joke degree otherwise.

OP
OP
S

SunshineCamo

Forum Lieutenant

Just my .02

Being an RN isn't something I'm too interested in. Nothing against the profession (and I'm sure after working as a Paramedic for awhile I'll be begging to work in hospital :D) but for the time being I want to stick to EMS. I would like to eventually become a PA though.

Originally I had planned to finish my EMS degree and focus on getting a BS in something (still kicking around what though). I guess I've got time to consider which route to take.

OP
OP
S

SunshineCamo

Forum Lieutenant
Being an RN isn't something I'm too interested in. Nothing against the profession (and I'm sure after working as a Paramedic for awhile I'll be begging to work in hospital :D) but for the time being I want to stick to EMS. I would like to eventually become a PA though.

Originally I had planned to finish my EMS degree and focus on getting a BS in something (still kicking around what though). I guess I've got time to consider which route to take.

Also, I guess I should have pointed out that I only need to finish the paramedic portion of my degree. I only have 3 semesters of classes to take, but I may not be done until Spring 2016 since I don't think my school does the paramedic courses during the summer.