A deer hit me

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
company policy

Our company policy is to HIT the animal, don't try to miss it.

Had a crew in a 3 day old ambulance with less than 1,000 miles on it dodge a squirrel and do $8,000 damage to the truck.

another crew missed a deer: hit a fence, took 2 tow trucks to get it out of the ditch; both crew members went to the hospital to be checked out; but the deer is ok.

princess

Forum Crew Member
When I was like 12 I was riding a bike downhill at a pretty good speed. A bird flew into my forehead, broke it's neck and died.

I love birds. :( It was definitely the strangest sensation ever... just riding my bike and all of a sudden a ball of feathers hit me in the forehead.

Sorry Lucid, but I've got this picture in my head and I can't stop laughing! :blush: Seriously, I'm sitting at my bar... all alone, and laughing my fool head off! I know it wasn't very funny for you though! BTW, your avatar is very pretty :)

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
hit one Monday morning

approx 50 north of our base heading to pick up a 10 year to go to childrens hospital for Dialysis 25 mil south of ECF hit a suicidal buck. dented bumper in 2 places, broke grill etc.
when officer showed to do report, helped him drag deer off the road; which was kind of funny; It then looked like he pulled us over for something.

took the deer about 10 min to die: thought I was going to have to finish him off. at end of shift, we were trying to figure out how much Fentanyl and Versed that it would take to put him down: management didn't think it was very funny; but it helped me laugh about it.

mikie

Forum Lurker
Recently after leaving the ER, I saw another district's ambulance, and on its chrome lower bumper (Type II, I believe) it had an image.

Kinda made me laugh

*I couldn't find the exact bumper sticker they had, so I just "photoshoped" it.

Attachments

• sign copy.jpg
    sign copy.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 424

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I heard the other night that if you want to make sure that the insurance company believes there really was a deer, you need to take a picture of the streak of deer excrement on the side of the vehicle.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Sorry Lucid, but I've got this picture in my head and I can't stop laughing! :blush: Seriously, I'm sitting at my bar... all alone, and laughing my fool head off! I know it wasn't very funny for you though! BTW, your avatar is very pretty :)

Haha I'm glad you got a laugh off of it. It was (and still is) extremely funny for me, just kinda bittersweet because it was a cute little bird. Thanks for the props on my pic. The one in your signature is pretty badass.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
you need to take a picture of the streak of deer excrement on the side of the vehicle.

If I ever hit a deer at speed, they won't have to look farther than my seat cushion if they want to see excrement... :p

mikie

Forum Lurker
my post didn't show my attached image, so i'll try again:

signcopy.jpg

*again-this was on the front lower bumper of another district's ambulance (huge ambulance!)

TheAfterAffect

Forum Lieutenant
my post didn't show my attached image, so i'll try again:

signcopy.jpg

*again-this was on the front lower bumper of another district's ambulance (huge ambulance!)

haha, My Group Commanders truck for the Civil Air Patrol has stencils of 3 Deer, 2 Owls, 4 Squirrels and 2 Birds on it. How many animals have committed suicide as he puts it by running under his Ford F-350

synchromedic

Forum Ride Along
On the way to a call my partner got a bird on the antenna on the rig. We pulled up on scene with half of a bird stuck on the pole.

enjoynz

Lady Enjoynz
I haven't hit anything in the ambulance yet!^_^
But our ambulance did have a nice 'Duck' size dent in the bonnet,
that my boss hit!

Years ago, my first time working with the ambulance service, we were
covering the horse races (events duty), following the riders around the track.
The community had just saved up and bought us a new Ambulance (it was only a couple of months old).
At the end of a race, one of the horses tried taking on the rails throwing the jockey over them and landing him behind some parked cars.
The horse fell and had a vet and others rush to it,while we got out of the ambulance and went to check on the jockey.
When we had finished treating him, we went back to the ambulance that was now sporting a large dent in the bonnet from the horse's hoof!
The horse had got a fright, got to it's feet and reared up onto the brand new ambulance!:sad:

Cheers Enjoynz

paramedix

Forum Lieutenant
Our company introduced a "Silent Warning Whistle" today. Not quite sure what to make of it yet. Its a small black piece of plastic with two small holes in it.

Apparently we have to stick it right under our light bars or in the grill and it makes a sound "not heard by humans" and animals stay out of your way. It generates the sound as the wind passes through it.

I dont really bite this, but hey if the the boss from fleet says it goes up it goes up...lol

mikie

Forum Lurker
Our company introduced a "Silent Warning Whistle" today. Not quite sure what to make of it yet. Its a small black piece of plastic with two small holes in it.

Apparently we have to stick it right under our light bars or in the grill and it makes a sound "not heard by humans" and animals stay out of your way. It generates the sound as the wind passes through it.
l

This is just a guess, but it probably puts out a sound frequency above 20Khz -our maximum frequency HUMANS can hear. Dogs, cats and other animals range goes up way higher, and probably sends the deer the other way because it's just an obnoxious sound.

OP
OP
Pittsburgh Proud

Pittsburgh Proud

Forum Lieutenant

I dont really bite this, but hey if the the boss from fleet says it goes up it goes up...lol

I've seen those little black "whistlers" around here also. I have trouble with something I can't hear? How do we know it works and that we didn't just buy a widget or something like that.

midway199

Forum Probie
Animals senses are different and sometimes more sensitive than human counterparts. How do birds see their prey from so high up? How do bats catch their prey in the dark?

With the whistlers, the sound does not scare them off the road (IIRC). It just makes them aware that something "strange" is in the area, so they look up and (hopefully) see you coming. And just how do we know this? Field testing.

I suspect that doppler effect plays a part in the process as well. This may be alarming to the deer. But that's just conjecture on my part! ;)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Deer whistles are common around here... They are supposed to make the deer STOP and look at you... then you get to dodge them. They work... but keep on forgetting to put them on my current car.

Operator 37

Forum Probie
Venison Dinner

This event is part of the history of a volly corps where I was once a member and I personally know the crew involved. It happened in the 60's when they were still using the old style Caddy Ambulance. On the way to an MVA they struck a deer and it was killed. The crew did not stop but radioed the police dispatcher about the collision. The patient was delivered to the ER and the crew returned to the site of the collision with the deer. The police officer took all the info and was about to notify the highway department for removal of the carcass when the driver asked if it would be alright if he could have it. The officer said yes and the crew loaded it into the back of the caddy and sped off down the road, to a butcher. They had venison for many months after that. :rolleyes:

aussieemt1980

Forum Lieutenant
On the way to a rescue job I got a galah (a native aussie bird) stuck in the light bar of the rescue truck. Wedged in between the roof and the bar.

NomexMedic

Forum Crew Member
Valley Forge National Park is close by, and the Park Service says the amount of deer on the park property is 14 TIMES the number reccomended by the State to allow for preservation of wooded land. Every time they try to do a controlled deer kill, though, the neighbors complain and the animal-rights groups show up, playing the "Bambi" card.

My parents are one of the area printers... they have several customers who have "deer control" businesses.
Sounds like they need to have a controlled hippie kill. If we don't control the population, disease will. I'd prefer them not be diseased.

Early one morning we were paged for a one vehicle MVC. Upon arrival found a totaled mustang with caved in convertible top. Driver DOA. He was on his way home and unbeknowst to him, Old McDonald's cows had gotten out of the fence and onto the 4-lane highway. He didn't see them due to fog and ended up plowing into the cows.

Sad that he died, but it was absolutely hilarious that he hit the cow so hard and clean that cow:censored::censored::censored::censored: was shot in a straight line for 50 yards ahead of the car.