a career-changer asking for advice

Eydawn

Forum Crew Member
Without hijacking this thread too much...

CISD was made by psychologists to be *run* by psychologists in order to respond to stressful events that public safety workers go through. Unfortunately, many companies decided "Hey, that was easy, my senior chief could run that.." and "Ok, this is supposed to help you folks not burn out and deal with things. So all of you are going."

Both approaches were *disastrous* and ended up causing PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) in people who were forced to go... or who weren't given the appropriate resource in lieu of or along with CISD.

Some find CISD sessions to be beneficial... it allows a place to vent... somewhere to discuss what happened with those who were there. If you are a "talker" and like to talk about things to process them, this might be good for you. I would strongly caution that you make sure that in addition to senior personnel from your department that you also have a licensed mental health care professional overseeing the session.

If you're not a talker, and you need time to process things, go up to your employer and as for a reference to a psychologist. Put the business card in your pocket, and when you're ready (if ever) to speak to someone professional about it, go for it.

Not all psychologists are pill pushers, by the way. I know many of us fear being medicated if we come forward. As a matter of fact, a good psychologist shies away from medication, saving them for serious cases or a last resort. A good psychologist should *never* tell you what to do... they should only be there to help YOU think through things and decide what course of action is best for YOU.

Hope this helps with the whole CISD aspect. Welcome to the EMS field! We're glad to have you here! :)

Wendy
CO EMT-B

OP
OP
cdillon

cdillon

Forum Probie
Thanks Wendy for the explanation. I am not a verbal processor which actually helped in my previous professions because they required a great deal of talking to extract information and provide solutions in a time-sensitive environment so I had to be quick and concise.

Like I said before, I have good "home grown" stress management techniques in place so I think I will adapt well; though I've never seen a compound fracture or gray matter, so we'll see...

Thanks to all. I have learned a lot from this thread so far.

firecoins

IFT Puppet

OminousFinding

Forum Probie
I'm just starting an EMS career as a volunteer myself.

I read that you are 41...You make yourself sound old like you're thinking you might be past your prime for this career. I'm sure flexible bones and a bit more muscle mass could be useful at certain points, but think of it this way--only 2 years ago you were still in your 30's. You sound like you are active (i.e. not just a blob on a couch), so you'll be fine, yes, even at 41 years young.

FYI--went to my assigned station last night (just graduated from EMT class) and met the folks I'll be volunteering with. 3 of them are over 40!

When you go to EMT class, you'll get a sense for how much agility and strength you'll need. Make it a point to practice dragging, boarding, moving patients (your classmates) who are of good size and weight.

Back injuries and heart trouble sound like the EMS achilles heel. Go do some cardio and back strengthening exercises, it will do you wonders!

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Thanks Wendy for the explanation. I am not a verbal processor which actually helped in my previous professions because they required a great deal of talking to extract information and provide solutions in a time-sensitive environment so I had to be quick and concise.

Like I said before, I have good "home grown" stress management techniques in place so I think I will adapt well; though I've never seen a compound fracture or gray matter, so we'll see...

Thanks to all. I have learned a lot from this thread so far.

I think its important to acknowledge going in that at some point, something is going to sneak under your radar and getcha. The key is knowing how to recognize that you've been got and have tools and systems in place for when (not if) that happens. Everyone thinks its going to be the blood and guts that gets them. Not always so. And it might just be one aspect of an injury that gets to you. I have a co-worker who can't handle mucous. The sound of a pt making that horky, gonna puke up a lung noise makes her nauseaous. Another medic I know with over 20 years in the field can't be anywhere around a rectal bleed without losing his last meal. There may just be a certain trigger that gets to you.

Or it might just be that the kid whose eyes look just like your little brother's or the woman whose name is the same as your mom, sister or favorite aunt. As long as you remain a feeling human being, you will have a call get to you.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Hi cdillon.

walking 2-4 miles a day is more exercise than many EMT's I know get. And we wonder why we need big uniforms.

Don't worry too much about swimming... I can swim enough to keep myself alive, but I don't work as a lifeguard, and try to stay dry. My cell phone doesn't like getting wet.

good luck!

OP
OP
cdillon

cdillon

Forum Probie
Thanks BossyCow for that insight. I can imagine what my current sensitivities might be but I won't know for sure until I get out there. In terms of the emotional calls like you mentioned, would it be safe to say that you "disconnect" just long enough to do your job?

OP
OP
cdillon

cdillon

Forum Probie
Thanks for the encouragement OminousFinding. I don't consider myself old by any stretch and I feel like I'm just hitting my prime. I've got at least 20 years of work ahead of me!

I asked about the physical aspect (a) to get a feel for what real-life EMT's consider an acceptable level of fitness, and (b) because I've been driving a desk for a few years so I've lost some functional strength.

So I'm taking the advice from you and others to start a strength and cardio routine. That's a good idea to practice with my classmates.

Good luck to you as you start your EMT career!

OP
OP
cdillon

cdillon

Forum Probie
walking 2-4 miles a day is more exercise than many EMT's I know get...

Don't worry too much about swimming...

good luck!

Thanks Jon. I'm glad people on this forum are willing to share the real-world aspects of EMS. The more I read, the more I think I'll do well.

John E

Forum Captain
Do it...

I'm 47 and I was the oldest student in my class. Now working as much as I want to as an event/stand by and film set medic. Not as glamorous as 911 stuff but the pay is WAY better and it beats sitting at a desk.

Good luck.

John E.