A.A.S. Paramedicine Proposal

disassociative

Forum Captain
Well, I've brought it up a few times about how I am seeking to shape a new kind of paramedical degree program at my local community college along with the executive director of the main campus. Here is a proposed curriculum(give or take a few minor technicalities) that we are seeking to present to the board of directors; and of course--the TN state Board of EMS.

http://fish.whbdns.com/~digital/digital/program.doc

Tell me what you think. Keep in mind a couple of these programs are
expiremental and do not exceed the current scope of TN paramedic; however
they incorporate the current skillset into new areas.

Also, it is important to point out that none of these programs seek to allow
the paramedic to write any type of prescription; as cof is usually requires a masters.

What do you like? Would you make any changes? What would you change?
Why would you change it?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I would suggest to remove "specialty" classes and require traditional subjects to allow easy transfer. Such as the " Chemistry for Life Sciences" and replace with College Chemistry, the same as Microbiology. Why make allowances? There is no reason to have re-do any courses for later transfer work. Word of mouth of having to re-take these courses at a later date if they pursue a BS or transfer into another health profession, will reduce the effectiveness and kill a program.

I personally know that my program is currently re-focusing their program for this exact reason. Reduction in enrollment for the degree that is "non-transferable" other than electives is something students are evaluating in costs.

I personally would have the same core courses in AAS as the same as nursing, R.T, etc.. so easy transferable credits can be obtained. As well, have the ability for similar subjects to be evaluated by the program coordinator so transfers can be made easily.

Keep up the good work, and good luck!

R/r 911

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
I would suggest to remove "specialty" classes and require traditional subjects to allow easy transfer. Such as the " Chemistry for Life Sciences" and replace with College Chemistry, the same as Microbiology. Why make allowances? There is no reason to have re-do any courses for later transfer work. Word of mouth of having to re-take these courses at a later date if they pursue a BS or transfer into another health profession, will reduce the effectiveness and kill a program.

I personally know that my program is currently re-focusing their program for this exact reason. Reduction in enrollment for the degree that is "non-transferable" other than electives is something students are evaluating in costs.

I personally would have the same core courses in AAS as the same as nursing, R.T, etc.. so easy transferable credits can be obtained. As well, have the ability for similar subjects to be evaluated by the program coordinator so transfers can be made easily.

Keep up the good work, and good luck!

R/r 911

I agree Rid. I personally know the frustration of there being nothing worse than having an AAS you cannot do a damn thing with and transfers for nothing.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Tennessee already has a few college degree programs for EMS. It would be nice if the programs were similar to transfer between colleges. And, you should also design for Accreditation by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP) and the Committee on Accreditation of Educational Programs for the EMS Professions (CoAEMSP).

http://www.columbiastate.edu/degrees/health/emt_required.htm

http://www.wscc.cc.tn.us/publicsafety/catalog/Applied Science–Paramedic.pdf

http://catalog.northeaststate.edu/preview_program.php?catoid=5&poid=460&bc=1

http://www.volstate.edu/alliedhealth/aas/

OP
OP
disassociative

disassociative

Forum Captain

R/r 911

The local University(Serving 8 counties), offers courses called, "Chemistry for the Life Sciences" and "Health Science Microbiology", which are fully-transferable four credit courses which meet the requirements for transfer set forth by the TN Board of Regents, and are found on 99% of transfer equivalency tables of the multiple Universities in our area.

As far as the specialty courses, I was thinking; why not prepare(through appropriate measures) students to leave with a degree AND Critical Care if they so choose, or FP-C, etc.

This coursework was shaped around the minimum general education requirement set forth by the TN board of regents.

It is also shaped after the nursing programs at Motlow State & TN Tech(The university of which I speak).

Motlow State(Program of study found on page: 18)
http://www.mscc.edu/nursing/handbook.pdf

TN Technological University(Curriculum for the B.S.N.):
http://www.tntech.edu/ugcat/html/nursing.asp

List of Nursing Courses(Individual)
http://www.tntech.edu/ugcat/html/nurs.asp

I model some courses after the coursework I am taking now in my studies; such as: Cardio-respiratory Concepts of Intensive Care Nursing.

As for the specialty coursework; I am interested in applying the Paramedic skillset to more areas than just: ER, Ambulance, Chopper.

In my opinion, one of the things that keeps nursing so popular; is the ability to work efficiently in many environments: ICU, ER, Med/Surg, SubAcute, Geriatric/Skilled, PACU, RNFA, etc.

As far as Core Nursing Courses go; a student in the RN program; MUST HAVE ALL OF THESE COURSES in general education before receiving their degree(along with RN 1-4 and other NET's of course).

I merely took the current RN, A.A.S. Program; left in the general education, and replaced Nursing I - IV; with equivalent Paramedic I - IV(CardioResp concepts, PathoPhys, etc).

Were this program to pass; upon receipt of my A.A.S. Paramedicine; if I wanted to get my RN; I could enter upper division; being just as prepared as the person who began nursing in the first place. We would both have the same classes under our belt; and be pursuing nursing 1-4, etc.

My KeyFocus: Proper Education(as shown with the 3 yr program; 1 yr gen ed, 2 yr core) and transferibility between professions.

If we can accomodate RN, A.A.S. to RN, M.S.N.; we can certainly
accomodate effective Paramedicine A.A.S. to RN or to B.S. Paramedicine

(I would love to see a Masters of Paramedicine; however--I have no say whatsoever in that, lol.)

It is going to take alot of research, figures, and a silver-tongue, but I think it will be worth while. Thanks for the opinions--They are GREATLY APPRECIATED.

I would love to see the curriculum for any of your local college degree programs as well; so I can compare; especially between RRT and Degree Paramedic.

I just got tired of the only options around here being Fire Science and EMS Management; and would love to see A.A.S. Paramedicine, B.S. Paramedicine.

Stand up and say it with me:

I am.

Somebody.

Epi-do

I see dead people
I didn't have time to poke around the website and find course descriptions, but here is the link to the local community college here and the classes they require for their paramedic associates degree.

Ivy Tech Paramedic Program

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
As far as the specialty courses, I was thinking; why not prepare(through appropriate measures) students to leave with a degree AND Critical Care if they so choose, or FP-C, etc.

Preparing them is great, but even Maryland suggest the minimal of two years of having exposure to critical patients before attending CCEMT/P. The same as in comparison of CCRN requirement of documentation of several hundred hours of ICU type patients before challenging their examination.

The purpose I suggested general courses, was for transferal to upper level (200 level courses) nationally. Applied or specialty maybe helpful and insightful for education, but usually is non-transferable except as an elective or to be used as a pre-req for entry into the real main course.

Again, a very good start to emphasize general education.

R/r 911

OP
OP
disassociative

disassociative

Forum Captain
The deal with Health Sciences Micro and Chem for the Life Sciences; is that these are the Micro I and Gen Chem I at TN Tech for nursing students, etc.

but I completely understand what you mean. I had a course a while back(BIOL) that was 3 credits; needless to say, when I transferred--I had to take a topics course to make up the difference.

I remember reading about the recommended minimum years in UMB's CC brochure. Things do get a bit complex at this level.

I never thought(until the last 2 yrs) that math would play such a part in ICU medicine either. The Davson's equation is practically my only friend, lol.

Perhaps, you are right Rid--maybe these should be preparatory courses rather than the actual certs.

One part I wanted to emphasize in this curricula was research.