911 shifts.

ThatEMTGuy

Forum Crew Member
I have my first 911 shift coming up, I'm nervous, because my skills are rusty, and I've never driven code 3. Does anyone have any advice, or experience they would like to share?

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
First off pretend any state laws that require people to pull to the right and yield to emergency vehicles with lights and sirens don't exist....Half the people on the road act like they don't exist anyway. So therefor treat Code 3 like a loud, flashy, PLEASE yield to me. Try not to speed, ALWAYS stop and clear red lights and stop signs at intersections, opposing traffic should really only be done if traffic is otherwise jammed up. Don't be the guy who pushes stubborn/stuck cars into the red light in front, if you find yourself blocked in by a median and traffic stopped in all lanes at the light, shut off at least the siren and don't inch forward, otherwise you run the serious risk of causing a traffic collision as someone freaks out and drives into the red light....Oh and stay to the left, always pass on the left is possible, stay as close to the center of the road (on your side of the double yellow) as practical, if on a one way, or a big 3,4 lane road with a giant median that essentially acts as a one way road, stay towards the left and not the middle (otherwise your passing on the right).

^If that sounds complicated because you haven't done it before, the short version is keep calm, stay to the left, CLEAR YOUR INTERSECTIONS, and otherwise follow the normal rules of the road, and just be careful.

As far as skills, get ahold of your agencies skill sheets and practice taking vitals on a friend or relative. Tell your partner at the start of shift you haven't done 911 before and feel a little rusty and would like to practice (You just got to post/station, and oh no, your partner just suffered an isolated, mid shaft femur fracture! Time to break out the traction splint!) Talk over what exactly your going to do vs what your partner is going to do on scenes like your routine medical, major trauma, CPR, etc.

Otherwise, just as above, relax, stay calm, and trust your partners and follow their lead since they're (hopefully lol) more experienced

PrincessAnika

Forum Crew Member
When you clear your intersections do it one lane of traffic at a time. Clear the closest lane, pull up, STOP, clear the next one, and so on. The extra 30seconds is worth it.
L&S is code for drive stupid and pull out in front of the ambulance. ;)

ecphotoman

Forum Crew Member
First off pretend any state laws that require people to pull to the right and yield to emergency vehicles with lights and sirens don't exist....Half the people on the road act like they don't exist anyway. So therefor treat Code 3 like a loud, flashy, PLEASE yield to me. Try not to speed, ALWAYS stop and clear red lights and stop signs at intersections, opposing traffic should really only be done if traffic is otherwise jammed up. Don't be the guy who pushes stubborn/stuck cars into the red light in front, if you find yourself blocked in by a median and traffic stopped in all lanes at the light, shut off at least the siren and don't inch forward, otherwise you run the serious risk of causing a traffic collision as someone freaks out and drives into the red light....Oh and stay to the left, always pass on the left is possible, stay as close to the center of the road (on your side of the double yellow) as practical, if on a one way, or a big 3,4 lane road with a giant median that essentially acts as a one way road, stay towards the left and not the middle (otherwise your passing on the right).

^If that sounds complicated because you haven't done it before, the short version is keep calm, stay to the left, CLEAR YOUR INTERSECTIONS, and otherwise follow the normal rules of the road, and just be careful.

As far as skills, get ahold of your agencies skill sheets and practice taking vitals on a friend or relative. Tell your partner at the start of shift you haven't done 911 before and feel a little rusty and would like to practice (You just got to post/station, and oh no, your partner just suffered an isolated, mid shaft femur fracture! Time to break out the traction splint!) Talk over what exactly your going to do vs what your partner is going to do on scenes like your routine medical, major trauma, CPR, etc.

Otherwise, just as above, relax, stay calm, and trust your partners and follow their lead since they're (hopefully lol) more experienced
Jim said it best! People don't yeild to us and they don't care if people die as a consequence. It doesn't help that cops tend to be lazy and don't write people tickets for failing to yield to EMS. Just do your best and always stop and look both ways at every single intersection.

captaindepth

Forum Lieutenant
While you are at post get in the back and learn where everything is in the ambulance. Check the cabinets, jump bags, and the monitor. Ask lots of questions and familiarize with all the equipment that you will be directly handling/setting up. Ohh and don't forget the monitor or jump bag on scene, that never goes over well.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I have my first 911 shift coming up, I'm nervous, because my skills are rusty, and I've never driven code 3. Does anyone have any advice, or experience they would like to share?

Ask as many questions as you can, and take things SLOW! Yes, there's a time to move fast, but on 95% of EMS calls you don't have to. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

I'm sure you'll be obligated by contracts, protocols, etc. to get to an emergency with lights and sirens. Unless it's a truly time-sensitive emergency, arrival on scene should mark the end of their use. There's no point in driving most patients to the hospital with lights and sirens; it's ridiculous and dangerous.

Above all, stay safe and have fun!