800 mile round trip transport.

Highlander

Forum Crew Member
Last edited by a moderator:

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
My initial reaction after reading that story was wondering why the care would necessarily be better at the Children's Hospital to which he was transferred. If the increase in level of care is truly necessary, insurance covers it and the transfer. If they don't have insurance, the transfer still goes through, just like it does for thousands of other uninsured kids across the country.

The story was certainly scant on details, and I feel like we aren't being told something.

OP
OP
Highlander

Highlander

Forum Crew Member
We have a children's hospital downtown here called Riley's children's hospital. It only deals with newborns-age of 21ish. They only specialize in children's medicine and provide the best for kids in our area. I would think they have more skill and treatment for children then a general hospital would. As for the Insurance part I'm not quite sure, as I thought transfers went though regardless.

JPINFV

Gadfly
We have a children's hospital downtown here called Riley's children's hospital. It only deals with newborns-age of 21ish. They only specialize in children's medicine and provide the best for kids in our area. I would think they have more skill and treatment for children then a general hospital would. As for the Insurance part I'm not quite sure, as I thought transfers went though regardless.

...not all kids needs a specialty hospital. They aren't little adults, but bronchiolitis or a pneumonia that fits admission criteria simply doesn't need a specialty hospital.

OP
OP
Highlander

Highlander

Forum Crew Member
...not all kids needs a specialty hospital. They aren't little adults, but bronchiolitis or a pneumonia that fits admission criteria simply doesn't need a specialty hospital.

Well he is suffering from OEIS complex, a rare defect that affects his spine, bladder and digestive system." The bladder is outside of the body and is divided in half, it's also a mix of spina bifida, as well as omphalocele.

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
There is more printed on this along with the mother posting on celebrities' FB pages. The child was at Mari Fareri's Children's hospital in NY had been there for 5 months since his birth. The child was covered by NY insurance until the family decided to move to Pittsburgh before the hospital and insurance could arrange transport. The transport was not entirely free and case managers had to quickly get this child into the system. The transport probably would have gone smoothly if the family had not wanted to move so quickly and just allowed the proper resources to be be utilized. There may also have been some disagreement with the long term prognosis with a push to place the child into long term care or send him home with additional services provided. Who knows what the real story is behind this family's thoughts but a very long transport like this with a special needs child who has been hospitalized his entire little life should also be done by a team who has experience with complex pediatrics. Asking for an ambulance on FaceBook is not the best approach.

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I had a feeling there would be more to this story and that he was already at a capable pediatric facility. The cynical side of me wonders how much of this was motivated by disagreements with his healthcare providers and the care plan. In any case, I hope it works out well for the child and his family now that they're in Pittsburgh.

Clipper1

Forum Asst. Chief
Social Workers and Case Managers at children's hospital can work miracles in the very screwed up U.S. health care mess. Our Neo/Pedi team will fly or drive to 4 states regularly and occasionally across country or to other countries. If we don't go, the appropriate transport is found through another agency or even Angel Flight.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Well he is suffering from OEIS complex, a rare defect that affects his spine, bladder and digestive system." The bladder is outside of the body and is divided in half, it's also a mix of spina bifida, as well as omphalocele.

...and that's how we learn that I didn't read the article.