59YOM - OD, Suicide attempt

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
0834 : “Overdose/poisoning”, unconscious (intentional)”.

You are called to a suicide attempt on a cold morning in semi-rural area. The dispatch information notes that you were dispatched by a third party caller (the pt’s sister), who found a note that had been dropped (ie not posted) in her letter box from the pt, explaining that the pt had taken an overdose and apologising for the grief it would cause.

O/A
You arrive at the pt’s house to find that police have turned out prior to you and found a gentleman in his late 50's in an altered conscious state. They have found a detailed suicide note and a number of empty packets of medications. The note states that he took the overdose last night and that it included oxycodone and diazepam.

O/E
59YOM lying semi recumbent in bed, eyes closed, looking a bit grey. He does not respond to your presence.
He is rousable to a state in which he will nod or shake his head answering yes or not to questions.

-Airway: His airway seems patent, the trachea intact. Nil jugular venous distension.
-Breathing: Shallow breathing is evident. His chest expansion is equal bilaterally. Inspiratory and expiratory phases are equal. There is no accessory muscle use or any apparent respiratory distress. His chest is clear and equal bilaterally on auscultation, perhaps ? reduced air entry to the bases. RR 24, SpO2: 70 (with a good pleth)
-Circulation: He has a regular pulse that appears normal in character and strength. He is greyish in colour and his hands and feet are ice cold. Centrally, he is noticeable warm. P: 120, BP 125/50
-Disability: His GCS is 12 (E3, V3, M6) – he mumbles and groans with the odd few words strung together. He obeys the command to open his eyes and to look left and right, but will not grip your hands. His pupils are equal @ 4mm very minimally responsive to light.

Other bits:
BSL: 5.7mmol/L (102.6 mg/dL). Temp: 39.6 C (103.2 F). Monitored in a sinus tachycardia, with a 1st degree AV block.

Secondary Survey
Entire body is atraumatic. NAD other than a 3 inch vertical surgical scar running across his epigastrum and he is wearing a nappy (diaper). Abdomen is soft with no grimacing or guarding noted on palpation. He has not been incontinent. His skin and mucous membranes look reasonably dry.

Hx: He doesn’t answer any questions other than nodding when you ask if he’s been unwell in any way lately. The suicide note makes reference to a year of disability and to renal cell carcinoma that is in remission. The house is well kept and certainly doesn’t look like the kind of house that a bed bound person might live in. Allergies are unknown.

Meds: Oxycodone, Metoclopramide, Diazepam, Quetiapine, Coloxyl with senna. These are found near the bedside by police, nil other meds evident.

Lets say you are:
- 5 mins from a small rural ED. X-ray, CT for ambulant pts only. No surgical service, ICU or HDU. Gen med wards only.
- 40 mins from what you would call a level two trauma centre I suppose. ICU, CCU, ED with CT. All services except neuro surg and cardio thoracic surg.
- 40 mins by whirlybird from a hospital that has the lot and a bit more.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Brown is most concerned about this blokes respiratory status and oxygen saturation so lets pop him on some oxygen

Might not be a bad idea if we can shove a drip into him - even an 18ga in one of his frostellicus like hands wouldn't be a bad idea incase he decides to do something stupid like get crooker.

Reasonably happy with everything else for now.

Might have a word on the ambophone to the PGY2 House Officer at the little country hospital, see if he will retain faculties if we bring this bloke to his department otherwise he needs to go to the other hospital.

OP
OP
Melclin

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Come on you lazy bloody drongos. I see lots of people rubber necking. Remember my policy on students and emts. Have a crack guys. This is a learning friendly zone. You'll go to this job one day and think, bugger, I wish I'd have thrown my hat into the ring when I had the chance at practice.

Cheers brown :)

Whats your differential?

What about treatment? O2 in what form? Fluid? Drugs? Nachos? Whats the go for this bloke?

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
You are called to a suicide attempt on a cold morning in semi-rural area. The dispatch information notes that you were dispatched by a third party caller (the pt's sister), who found a note that had been dropped (ie not posted) in her letter box from the pt, explaining that the pt had taken an overdose and apologising for the grief it would cause.
Dang, if only he had mailed it this would be easy wouldn't it :D

O/A
You arrive at the pt's house to find that police have turned out prior to you and found a gentleman in his late 50's in an altered conscious state. They have found a detailed suicide note and a number of empty packets of medications. The note states that he took the overdose last night and that it included oxycodone and diazepam.
Two relatively benign meds if he's still conscious and not aspirated...

[O/E
59YOM lying semi recumbent in bed, eyes closed, looking a bit grey. He does not respond to your presence.
He is rousable to a state in which he will nod or shake his head answering yes or not to questions.

-Airway: His airway seems patent, the trachea intact. Nil jugular venous distension.
-Breathing: Shallow breathing is evident. His chest expansion is equal bilaterally. Inspiratory and expiratory phases are equal. There is no accessory muscle use or any apparent respiratory distress. His chest is clear and equal bilaterally on auscultation, perhaps ? reduced air entry to the bases. RR 24, SpO2: 70 (with a good pleth)
I MIGHT consider a short trial with a NRB, but likely we're going to start with a BVM trying to get him oxygenated. If he fails to become more alert with oxygenation, he's probably bought a tube at this point.

-Circulation: He has a regular pulse that appears normal in character and strength. He is greyish in colour and his hands and feet are ice cold. Centrally, he is noticeable warm. P: 120, BP 125/50
-Disability: His GCS is 12 (E3, V3, M6); he mumbles and groans with the odd few words strung together. He obeys the command to open his eyes and to look left and right, but will not grip your hands. His pupils are equal @ 4mm very minimally responsive to light.

Other bits:
BSL: 5.7mmol/L (102.6 mg/dL). Temp: 39.6 C (103.2 F). Monitored in a sinus tachycardia, with a 1st degree AV block.
Barring the suicide note...the above SCREAMS sepsis. Which could go hand in hand with the suicide attempt if he aspirated due to altered LOC from the meds. Let's get a line going and begin fluid resus, probably looking at running two liters. Because of the concern of sepis if we DO end up using meds to get him intubabted I'm going to stay away from etomidate due to the adrenal supression it tends to cause.

Secondary Survey
Entire body is atraumatic. NAD other than a 3 inch vertical surgical scar running across his epigastrum and he is wearing a nappy (diaper). Abdomen is soft with no grimacing or guarding noted on palpation. He has not been incontinent. His skin and mucous membranes look reasonably dry.

Hx: He doesn't answer any questions other than nodding when you ask if he's been unwell in any way lately. The suicide note makes reference to a year of disability and to renal cell carcinoma that is in remission. The house is well kept and certainly doesn't look like the kind of house that a bed bound person might live in. Allergies are unknown.
Return of the cancer is another thought on the pyrexia

Meds: Oxycodone, Metoclopramide, Diazepam, Quetiapine, Coloxyl with senna. These are found near the bedside by police, nil other meds evident.
Great, Reglan and Seroquel in the overdose as well....these two are more concerning to me than the narc and benzo...

[
B]Lets say you are: [/B]
- 5 mins from a small rural ED. X-ray, CT for ambulant pts only. No surgical service, ICU or HDU. Gen med wards only.
- 40 mins from what you would call a level two trauma centre I suppose. ICU, CCU, ED with CT. All services except neuro surg and cardio thoracic surg.
Level Duece by ground should be sufficent here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Digger

Forum Probie
Initially, managing the airway due to low SpO2, and peripheral cyanosis/color change- I would say high flow NRB, PPV if no change with that after a short amount of time. IV, start fluids- seems to be compensating right now with a BP of 125/50, but he's dehydrated with dry mucus membranes and shunting blood from extremities to the core. With that temp I'd also say septic, he could have felt himself getting sicker, thought he was relapsing with the carcinoma (as he well may be) and not wanted to deal with it anymore, hence the attempted suicide with note, oxy and benzos. Or he could have already had an altered mental status leading him to not think clearly and decide he wanted to end his life. The note does show some planning and thought went into it though. DNR status?

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Might have a word on the ambophone to the PGY2 House Officer at the little country hospital, see if he will retain faculties if we bring this bloke to his department otherwise he needs to go to the other hospital.

Take him to the local hospital and have the helicopter meet you there.

Cup of Joe

Forum Captain
O2 via NRB, possibly cover with blankets (depending...how warm is noticeably warm?), transport in left lateral recumbent to closed ED where they might be able to give him some reversal agent(s) (if warranted). If not, as usafmedic45 said, helicopter to nearest capable facility.

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
0834 : “Overdose/poisoning”, unconscious (intentional)”.

You are called to a suicide attempt on a cold morning in semi-rural area. The dispatch information notes that you were dispatched by a third party caller (the pt’s sister), who found a note that had been dropped (ie not posted) in her letter box from the pt, explaining that the pt had taken an overdose and apologising for the grief it would cause.

O/A
You arrive at the pt’s house to find that police have turned out prior to you and found a gentleman in his late 50's in an altered conscious state. They have found a detailed suicide note and a number of empty packets of medications. The note states that he took the overdose last night and that it included oxycodone and diazepam.

O/E

-Disability: His GCS is 12 (E3, V3, M6) – he mumbles and groans with the odd few words strung together. He obeys the command to open his eyes and to look left and right, but will not grip your hands. His pupils are equal @ 4mm very minimally responsive to light.

Other bits:

Secondary Survey

Hx: He doesn’t answer any questions other than nodding when you ask if he’s been unwell in any way lately. The suicide note makes reference to a year of disability and to renal cell carcinoma that is in remission. The house is well kept and certainly doesn’t look like the kind of house that a bed bound person might live in. Allergies are unknown.

Lets say you are:

I'll swing at it, might be helping this patient acomplish his goal... so...

Okay so I think... so my instincts say... his breathing is probably the most immediat threat and because he's sating at 70 and shallow respirations his tidal volume is through the floor so... cpap? or maybe RSI?

Get a line in him ummm not sure what medications and I think I would probably opt to not give him any medications since he's overdosing and I'd be concerned for adverse reactions. Maybe a 250ML NS bolus to try and bring up the BP although it's not too terribly bad.

Minimal on scene time and I would opt for the 40min heli transport since I'm concerned that because he's having trouble breathing going higher into the atmosphere which would have less atmospheric pressure may reduce the workload of his labored breathing and help him breath better since both CPAP and Intubation would deliver 100% O2...

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Minimal on scene time and I would opt for the 40min heli transport since I'm concerned that because he's having trouble breathing going higher into the atmosphere which would have less atmospheric pressure may reduce the workload of his labored breathing and help him breath better
Just a quick word, research Dalton's law, and how gas moves across the alveolar membrane to see why this would have the opposite effect of what you want. This might seem a little counterintuitive, but trust me, reduced atmospheric pressure is BAD for hypoxic patients.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'd go straight to PPV to try and get his SpO2 up. Once you got it up there give him a chance on the NRB to see if he will maintain them otherwise back to PPV and possibly RSI, but I'll get into that at the bottom of the post.

With the possible opiod onboard I'd be tempted to possibly try a touch of Narcan titrated to effect on respirations once we had him loaded and strapped down. I don't particularly like patients punching me, and if the narcan works I'm pretty certain he won't be happy that he is alive considering the planning behind the attempt.

I was thinking sepsis as well with the temp and shunting of blood to the core to try and support his end-organs but I don't know if I believe he could become septic this quickly, and from what? I'd go more for the CNS depression and lowered perfusion to his organs causing him to shunt all his blood out of his extremities.

Give him a line and give him some fluids, I don't know if I'd go straight for 2L probably just hit him with 1 and see how that treats him.

Ground to the Level II. This guy doesn't seem like he is going to need a cardiothoracic or nuero surgeon but then again I am new at this.

I'f you really wanted to fly this guy he probably is going to need a tube, which sounds like is going to require RSI, I'd stay away from Succ with this guy since he already is hyperthermic. The drop in PiO2 as the chopper climbs isn't going to help him, he needs more air not less.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I'd stay away from Succ with this guy since he already is hyperthermic.

MH has to do with how succinycholine acts in the synapse, not hyperthermia itself. It's safe to use in patient's who have a fever. I WOULD be concerned about the posibility of hyperkalemia from undetected rhabdo, since we have no clue how long he's been lying in one spot.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
MH has to do with how succinycholine acts in the synapse, not hyperthermia itself. It's safe to use in patient's who have a fever. I WOULD be concerned about the posibility of hyperkalemia from undetected rhabdo, since we have no clue how long he's been lying in one spot.

That makes sense. How long would someone have to be stationary for rhabdo to become an issue though?

phideux

Forum Captain
I'd start with the basics, keep his airway open, get some O2 in him. You said all his meds are present and accounted for on his bedside table. Are the actual meds there, or just the empty bottles???? How about a pill count of the bottles to narrow down what he took too much of, if anything.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
That makes sense. How long would someone have to be stationary for rhabdo to become an issue though?

Depends heavily on the health status and how stationary. This guy...probably not long.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Lets pop this bloke on 10lpm NRB and see if his sats go up, if not lets try a bag mask ans see what happens.

Brown is of the mind that if his oxygenation does not improve we can just RSI him and go to the level 2 hospital.

He could be septic, with clear chest he probably hasn't aspirated so Brown is not sure where the sepsis is coming from. The hyperthermia could be neurogenically related to the meds he has scoffed down.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Heh, I feel crazy for saying this, but I am not convinced this patient would be a candidate for high flow oxygen or PPV. In fact, I was a little shock that people said they'd PPV him, or even intubate him. If you removed the SpO2 from the post, I bet a lot of people wouldn't be saying NRB or PPV right now. Both the hands and feets are cold, core is warm, the patient is gray, RR is 24, which isn't bad. They aren't accurate when low, and I think they aren't accurate for tachycardic HR either, but 120 isn't THAT bad either. I'd probably try a pulse ox on the earlobe instead, see what an NC does, but I'm actually not too concern with his breathing right now.

Thank God I am not a Paramedic and this is a place where I can put my bizarre answers, I am currently thinking I'd transport him to the 5 minute spot; I don't think he needs anything surgical or an ICU.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
If you removed the SpO2 from the post, I bet a lot of people wouldn't be saying NRB or PPV right now. Both the hands and feets are cold, core is warm, the patient is gray, RR is 24, which isn't bad. They aren't accurate when low, and I think they aren't accurate for tachycardic HR either, but 120 isn't THAT bad either. I'd probably try a pulse ox on the earlobe instead, see what an NC does, but I'm actually not too concern with his breathing right now.

You raise an interesting point and something of a management paradox; do we treat this bloke who has such a poor SPO2 as not needing oxygen shoved down his gob because he has no central signs of cyanosis? Or do we treat him as being crook and in need of lots of oxygen because his SPO2 is absolutely in the loo?

It is possible he is hyperventilating to blow off some sort of acid imbalance or because his noggin is nunngered from the medication lolly scramble he scoffed down - that might also explain the hyperthermia too.

What Brown would do is put him on a NRB at 10lpm and see if that helps, if not then manually ventilate him.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I think there is something else going on besides the OD. The sister found the note in the morning, and the pt supposedly took the OD the night before. The OD included 3 medications that cause significant decreased LOC and respiratory drive.* This guy is remarkably conscious and he is breathing 24 times a minute. I suspect he may be coming out of the OD, unless the doses he took were not very large.

* I've had a couple of Seroquel ODs that have ended up on vents for a day or so until the medication wears off.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I've had a couple of Seroquel ODs that have ended up on vents for a day or so until the medication wears off.

This and the Reglan are probably more important than the other meds here...

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
If you removed the SpO2 from the post, I bet a lot of people wouldn't be saying NRB or PPV right now. Both the hands and feets are cold, core is warm, the patient is gray, RR is 24, which isn't bad.
He's gray, has a seriously altered LOC and and is tachypneic. You pretty well have to suspect hypoxia in this case. In addition, if his LOC doesn't improve with oxygenation, he needs airway protection, and while I've been critical of being quick to RSI in the past, RSI is the best way to accomplish this in this patient.