3 days left on my final ambulance practicum!

bled12345

Forum Crew Member
So, I got 3 days left to wrap up my ambulance practicum for my EMT-A (EMT-I for you americans)

I'm a Canadian student, but I'm doing my practicum in baton rouge louisiana because you guys have "knife and gun clubs" lol... Well, apparently I am a white cloud, because for most of my rotation, I had alot of BS calls, for example, a lady called the ambulance code 1 for a leg cramp!!! Other than that, the only calls to take notice of were a narc overdose (oxy's, and some prescription pain killer thats highly addictive that we don't have in canada, I think it was something like soma?) Anyways, and then there was a CHF patient with pneumonia presenting with all the classic symptoms of both, some chest pains, some RETARDEDLY high blood pressures, maybe its all that fried chicken and cajun food ppl eat down here :) and a 1 year old girl with 2nd degree burns all over her arms legs and head from either abuse/neglect, hot water burns, it was pretty sad but oh well....

then out of nowhere today, BAM!!! 4 vehicle MVC with 1 possible fatality. We get there and the place was nuts, one truck had the whole front end compacted, and another sedan was beside it only rolled over in the ditch, and 2 more cars that had been side swiped. There was no fatality, 2 of the people were spinaled, our patient was the guy in the pickup truck, they had to ex him, he had a diminished LOC, glass in his eye, and he had been pinned. When we got him, we started doing all the typical EMS stuff, he had a good pressure 140/90 but we started 2 18 g's anyways, long story short, we called in air ambulance to come get him, I'm kinda rambling now, but it was :censored::censored::censored::censored:ing AWSOME!!!

OP
OP
bled12345

bled12345

Forum Crew Member
lol... so the reason why the attending medic decided on air transport was because the closest hospital with neuro was about 20 minute drive out, and the guy was presenting as combatitive with decrease LOC and only responsive to pain... We found out tonight that the only injuries this guy had was some glass particles in his eye, and a scrape on his arm. The decreased LOC? The guy was stinking drunk, the nurse at the ER told us his blood alcohol level was like 2.45 is that even possible?

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
lol... so the reason why the attending medic decided on air transport was because the closest hospital with neuro was about 20 minute drive out, and the guy was presenting as combatitive with decrease LOC and only responsive to pain... We found out tonight that the only injuries this guy had was some glass particles in his eye, and a scrape on his arm. The decreased LOC? The guy was stinking drunk, the nurse at the ER told us his blood alcohol level was like 2.45 is that even possible?

probably .245 I've seen up to .260 with the pt still vertical and talking. But that kind of alcohol tolerance takes quite a training program. You have to work up to those numbers gradually and over time.