2nd AA Degree? Help!

AZFF/EMT

Forum Lieutenant
If you are actually interested in the military go for it and become a corpsman or a 91W in the army, and take advantage of any and all training ops you can get, and believe me there are many, pretty much unlimited when you are not deployed.

Many say the Navy's program is a little better and you are trainined at a little higher level especially the medical side, as opposed to the army's training focus on trauma, combat lifesaver type stuff. But now the Army's training is becoming much more comprehensive.

Great training and opportu nities.

I say go Army, 91W, Airborne. Then once you are at Bragg volunteer for everything.

OP
OP
B

BillyMan

Forum Crew Member
You know I did always consider the military. But from what I understand once I leave it I won't even be considered an EMT-B, only a first responder which doesn't really put me anywhere ahead. Also right now with the politics of the war and everything, by the time I got out of A school who knows what the situation will be. I have always kinda planned spening the summer of my junior year volunteering in some 3rd world country. I figure it would be good experience, look great on a resume, and generally change the way I look at things. Has anybody else gone and volunteered in another country?

The only part about it that I don't like is most of the opportunities for it that I have found they actually want you to pay for the flight and all of the living expenses even though you will be working for them for free. Sounds somewhat like a bum deal to me.

AZFF/EMT

Forum Lieutenant
The least you will be is a national registered EMT-B, and most in the navy now are becoming NREMT-P's, and the army's new program is intended to teach p to the paramedi evel now, because they are including the cardia ortion and drugs. Then you can take theNREMT-P exam and get a state license in whatever state you are posted and in a lot of cases your home state as well, just keep your residency. I have a few buddy's who work for volunteer fire/rescue departments on off days or nights and a few ho work part time a private ambo company's while srving.

OP
OP
B

BillyMan

Forum Crew Member
Hmmm.... I'm not sure I catch the gist of things. Basically what it sounds like is that I can get EMT-B certified IF I am stationed in the U.S. But if I was in Iraq it doesn't sound like that would fly. Once I got out of A school would that allow me to sit for the NREMT exam or would I still have to take the class?

paccookie

Forum Lieutenant
And VentMedic you make it sound like I almost HAVE to have a B.A. Is this true? I was actually under the impression that many people in EMS don't even have an AA degree. After looking around I had a hard time finding many Universities or Institutions that offered a 4 year degree in Paramedicine.

I don't have statistics, but I can tell you about most of the people I work with. Most have degrees or diplomas from a tech school or community college. Some have an associate of applied science, which is a little beyond the basic paramedic curriculum in that it's actually a degree in emergency medical services and is designed to better prepare you for a supervisory position. The EMTs have technical certificates. In Georgia, we are all EMT-Intermediates as GA doesn't recognize Basics. That's 3 quarters at a tech school.

As for the people I know personally, there are several who are educated way beyond the requirements of their job. One guy has a BA in Sociology and a BS in Chemistry, plus an AAS in EMS. I asked him what he was doing in EMS. His answer was that he loves the job. LOL A few others have other degrees (AA or BA or BS) in various subjects. Most do not. I am personally very very close to having an AA in History, I think I am only one class short of that. But my plans have changed and I doubt I will finish that degree. I am starting paramedic school in the summer and then I will be pursuing a BSN. I only have a couple of core classes left for the BSN, plus the nursing classes, so I am well on my way towards that. :)

AZFF/EMT

Forum Lieutenant
A school would be emt-B?Advanced class. You will learn way more than a Comm college emt nd like in the army have to become a nremt to keep your rate. You can work on shore hopitals, hopital ships, out with the Marines in various types of units from supply to recon.

OP
OP
B

BillyMan

Forum Crew Member
AZFF/EMT - Are you in the Armed Forces? You seem a little unsure of yourself to me. Not to annoy you or anything, I'm just curious. You are telling me a lot different from what my friends in the Navy have told me. I would ask a recruiter, but we both know he is more of a salesman than a person. At least the ones in my area are.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
A school would be emt-B?Advanced class. You will learn way more than a Comm college emt nd like in the army have to become a nremt to keep your rate. You can work on shore hopitals, hopital ships, out with the Marines in various types of units from supply to recon.

Sorry, I can not interpret your writing.

Military courses are sometimes honored as to be able to take civilian certifications (such as NREMT), sometimes they are not. It is NOT an automatic gimme. As well, Corpsman is NOT automatically honored in the civilian community as an advanced. Even a ship doc, (similar to P.A.) is nothing in the civilian world. It is not that they are not well trained or even educated, rather they sometimes do not meet the civilian requirements.

Yes, many of the courses are now transferable, but one needs to be careful and take as many civilian certifications that is allowed, if one plans to work in the civilian world.

What I have seen is many military ratings are just that, and do not apply to normal operations. Remember, there is very little to no cardiology, medical emergencies, etc.. in military programs (or should there be).

R/r 911

AZFF/EMT

Forum Lieutenant
Sorry guys I had just came off of a stand up 24 with 11 calls. Therefore my writing was a little sub-par lol. I was an army special operations medic. Assigned to Joint Special operation Command-Medical Augmentation Unit. In AIT everyone was required to pass NREMT in order to pass. I then became a state registered EMT in Arizona because of my residency and also got my cert in N.C. when I was at Bragg. Yes you are correct Rid that sometimes the training does not transfer over, but usually that happens to the people who do not want to do anything on their own and just expect to be handed a state cet when they get out even if they did not keep up on re-certs while on active duty.

If you decide to go into any special operation's unit, you will be trained to a much higher level than a civilian medic, and also be allowed to do a lot more.

They are now starting to allow guys to take NREMT-B/I/P exams while deployed because a lot of guys were losing certs because they expired while deployed.

What you et out of the Army depends a lot on what you put into it. Trust me I walked away with more certs than I can keep track of. Mostly from local colleges, the army itself, FEMA, NFA, ect. Its unreal.

Oh and Rid, everytime I have been on a Naval/USMC base, every ship P.A. was for sure 100% a P.A. They will not call you a P.A. if you are not one. A couple guys from my unit decided to go the P.A. route after OEF and OIF. If you have any questions let me know. If it's anything I cannot answer I will do my best to get the answer for.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
No problem.. many times I have to re-write my statements later after a long shift.. (they appeared correct the first time :D)..

Be safe, '

R/r 911

VentMedic

Forum Chief
I don't have statistics, but I can tell you about most of the people I work with. Most have degrees or diplomas from a tech school or community college. Some have an associate of applied science, which is a little beyond the basic paramedic curriculum in that it's actually a degree in emergency medical services and is designed to better prepare you for a supervisory position. The EMTs have technical certificates. In Georgia, we are all EMT-Intermediates as GA doesn't recognize Basics. That's 3 quarters at a tech school.

As for the people I know personally, there are several who are educated way beyond the requirements of their job. One guy has a BA in Sociology and a BS in Chemistry, plus an AAS in EMS. I asked him what he was doing in EMS. His answer was that he loves the job. LOL A few others have other degrees (AA or BA or BS) in various subjects. Most do not. I am personally very very close to having an AA in History, I think I am only one class short of that. But my plans have changed and I doubt I will finish that degree. I am starting paramedic school in the summer and then I will be pursuing a BSN. I only have a couple of core classes left for the BSN, plus the nursing classes, so I am well on my way towards that. :)

Actually the A.A.S in EMS does not prepare you for a supervisory position but requires more sciences to help you better understand disease processes and pharmocological actions. Any extra classes train your reading comprehension and improve your writing skills.

I think the comments I made in previous posts have been covered. It all depends on whether you want a job or a career in any medical field. Between 1977 and 1985, people were encouraged to get a 2 year degree in EMS in Florida. After 1986, Florida became a leader in Medic Mill tech schools. That was difficult to watch. Thus, many "old timers" who had degrees went on to other professions when their EMS profession never made it to a higher standard and certificates became the norm. It is hard to tell some "tech" paramedics about the benefits of education when "they can do it all anyway". EMS is unfortunately the only health profession that does not have actual forward legislation in motion across the board. There are drafts and more drafts. The accreditation requirement for schools is the first step forward.

Other professions tell new students, "this is the minimum required for credentialing but this is what you should take for the standards that will take effect in 5 years".

Military people do get a higher level of medical training but it is also very specific as Rid mentioned and does not emphasize chronic or the illnesses of age.

PAs from the military are rarely recognized in civilian life but some training may transfer to a degree. The Masters degree is not being required as it is for NP to obtain a pharmacy number in many states. Even those recognized as a Respiratory Therapist in the military will not be credentialed in civilian life until they get their two year degree since that profession no longer has a "tech" cert.

However, the VA facilities may still allow former military trained personnel to function in their military jobs since they can be exempt from State licensure issues in some professions.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
PAs from the military are rarely recognized in civilian life but some training may transfer to a degree. The Masters degree is not being required as it is for NP to obtain a pharmacy number in many states. Even those recognized as a Respiratory Therapist in the military will not be credentialed in civilian life until they get their two year degree since that profession no longer has a "tech" cert.

Error in my post. The Masters degree is now becoming a requirement in many states to obtain a pharmacy number.

OP
OP
B

BillyMan

Forum Crew Member
Once again guys, thanks for all of your help and input. I am pretty much now full aware of the fact that to get anywhere these days you need all the education you can get.

Basically I know that with the Accounting degree I can use it many different ways. I can use it for higher up positions later down the road, use it as a backdrop in case I fell out of EMS for some reason, or use the credits earned towards another degree of some sort. It's almost like the all in one carpenter's tool.