1st emt job!

gmartin0814

Forum Probie
Hey all! I just got my call back from an ambulance company about a job. I have 1 week till i start! This will be my first EMT job as a basic. I was just wondering what its like your first day??is it harder than it seemed like it would be while in class? fun? just curious! if you have any suggestions let me know! Thanks
Greg

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
Intimidating. Terrifying. Frightening. You'll feel like you wandered into an asylum and the inmates are running the place. You'll be nervous. You'll feel like you know nothing. Don't worry. Everybody's nervous, intimidated, terrified, frightened, and feels like a moron at first. You get used to it. ^_^

Sasha

Forum Chief
CONGRATS!!!!!! Yaaay!

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I felt like I did in clinicals during class--- not knowing crap, feeling like an outside, and worried that I'd do something wrong.

Only difference is I was being paid while thinking like that.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Go in and immediately get involved doing chores like cleaning station, ambulance check out, etc. And might not hurt to show up with a box of donuts.

Be honest with your partner that you have no experience and tell them you appreciate any help in becoming a better care giver. Hopefully they have you third riding so you can get used to the system.

Tomemt09

Forum Ride Along
DO you get motion sickness???

I just finished my 3rd riding time and it was rough back there - especially on the 10 and 12 hour shifts!

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
You'll probably do training on company policies for at least the first day. I know I had to learn where everything was, how to operate the power cots, etc. Most companies will have you do a few ride alongs just to get used to how things work around there.

OP
OP
G

gmartin0814

Forum Probie
thank you guys so much for your input!! Im real excited and cant wait! But yes, i do get motion sick....I will have to find something that may help..any suggestions?? thanks

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
Try meclizine, an antihistimine, for the motion sickness. You can buy it over the counter as Dramamine. Just take it a few days before you start to see how it effects you as it can cause some tiredness and decrease in alertness in some.

Congratulations though on ur first EMS job!

Afflixion

Forum Captain
Ginger. Maybe ginger candies or something, has something in it that helps :D

Ginger works quite well...at least on my daughter just give her some ginger gum i get from the health food store before a road trip and she's good...without vomit ensues every time.

As for your first day you will most likely go over TTPs, offline protocols (if your fortunate enough to have them), learn where most everything is on the truck, how to do PMCS on it, etc. If you do all that within your shift they may or may not throw you to third ride with an FTO to get you started. This is how my old service did it for the new guys at least. Yes, you will be anxious and feel like you stick out like a sore thumb and you do, but nothing to be ashamed of everyone was new at one point. :)

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Congrats! If you feel wierd asking questions at your new job that you feel may make you look ignorant, post them here and we'll try to help.

imurphy

Forum Captain
ALWAYS ask questions at your new job!

They're well aware you're new, and asking questions show's you're willing to learn.

Better to be labeled the "Dumb new kid" than "That arragant *****, thinks he knows everything"

My questions / comments on my first day included:

"Wait. Right.. Drive on the right. Got it"

"Diesel or petrol. Oh. Ok. Right. We have a small problem"

Actually on my first day ever (Many moons ago now....) my first question was:

ME: "What ambulance am I on?"
Boss: "15"

Walks away. Notices no numbers on the units

Me: "Which one now"
Boss: "The yellow one"

Walks away. Notices they're ALL yellow except 1 white one

Me: "They're all yellow"
Boss: *grinning* "I know!. It's the one with 15 written on it. On the inside. Over the radio."
Me: Gotcha

Last edited by a moderator:

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
My first week was all classroom training (company protocols, etc). Then, I rode with an FTO (aka third rider) for 2 weeks. Even after I cleared training, yeah, felt like I did on clinicals for a few shifts, then, it all tends to just, click. At least it did for me.

As for the motion sickness, I use a Relief Band when I fly in small planes or am on small boats, only places I get motion sick. Works really well for me, and no drowsiness or decrease in alertness.

WuLabsWuTecH

Forum Deputy Chief
For motion sickness I notice that when I'm in the front its just like riding in a car so no issues.

When I'm in the back on a way to the scene, I noticed I got more motion sickness if I was sitting on the bench than in the airway chair. Also, when I turned around and looked out the front from the airway chair I got more motion sick. Best to just face backwards and look at the objects inside the truck.

A small problem is that once you get on scene and the call is bumped up to an ALS call and you have to drive but have absolutely no idea where you are. Usually dispatch will help you out if you ask them.

NEVER be afraid to ask questions. Medics (for the most part) love giving advice and teaching you tricks of the trade. You'll look like a novice (which you are) if you ask questions now, but you'll look like a moron if you wait 2 weeks to ask those questions that should have been asked before.

Orion619

Forum Probie
Intimidating. Terrifying. Frightening. You'll feel like you wandered into an asylum and the inmates are running the place. You'll be nervous. You'll feel like you know nothing. Don't worry. Everybody's nervous, intimidated, terrified, frightened, and feels like a moron at first. You get used to it. ^_^

+1

Rookie here, I did 1 week of orientation and class time. I've been on 2 shifts. My very first call was an emergency, near syncope/nausea and I was all alone in the back (why my company doesn't do a 3 man crew on my first day, I don't know). My partner had to tell me how to work the radio while he was driving :rolleyes:. Let me tell you, I feel like a dumb, moronic, fish out of water. I hate the feeling of being helpless and not knowing the correct way of doing things.

Things I need to work on that you might experience:
1. Patient assessment and proper interaction
2. Signatures/billing/paperwork .. I have no idea most of the time which paperwork I need and who needs to sign what.
3. Radio report, I'm still rough on operating the radio and the walkie talkie.
4. Filling out my runsheets (I usually forget to bubble/fill out one or two things)

That's 2 shifts and 7 calls total for me so far. I had a CCT today, I felt like I was in the way most of the time... I asked the nurse a couple of things and she didn't really interact with me. Ah well, /end rant. B)

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Things I need to work on that you might experience:
1. Patient assessment and proper interaction
2. Signatures/billing/paperwork .. I have no idea most of the time which paperwork I need and who needs to sign what.
3. Radio report, I'm still rough on operating the radio and the walkie talkie.
4. Filling out my runsheets (I usually forget to bubble/fill out one or two things)

See, the paperwork, including your run sheets, should have been properly covered during your orientation/new-hire class.

WannaBeFlight

Forum Lieutenant
Congrats!!!!