1 Month into EMTB training...

JeeperWoman

Forum Ride Along
I started EMTB training on 12/01/08 and I'm having a problem. I have worked in a hospital setting for the last 15+ years and apparently have decided that I should know all this EMT stuff by osmosis or something, because I get rather upset with myself when I don't get 100% on a test or don't instantly know how to do something. How do I get past this? Then if you add into it that I'm easily 25 years older that everyone in class except for 2 people AND I just got hearing aids 3 weeks ago....I just seem to be struggling more than most people and that really frustrates me. Any help/ideas would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
First of all, chances are most everyone in the class thinks they're struggling more than everyone else.

EMS is a whole different beast from hospital care. I realized this when I took my SAR/EMS background to work in a doctor's office.

Don't let your slip-ups, like missing a few on a test, get you down. Try to focus on the positive and your many strengths rather than weaknesses. I'm sure a lot of the wisdom you've gained from your extensive experience in a hospital has value in your new journey.

Keep in mind it's very early in the class, and learning EMS doesn't just involve learning new terms, skills, etc: it involves adopting a whole different paradigm, and that's pretty difficult to do. As long as you stay focused and positive and study hard, you'll probably start finding yourself developing that mindset and things will start clicking.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
First realize that this is an EMT course, not a true medical course to prepare you for hospital type work. You describe you have 15 years of clinical work.. good but really so what? Remember, EMT and other medical fields have nothing in common. I have seen RN's, etc fail EMT because it itself is another profession and different type of instruction and requirements.

I ask; how well do you study? Do you read the chapter objectives ahead of time? Did you answer them and are prepared for that lesson? Do you allot a time for studies only? Do you work in groups after class?

Now in regards to the score... get over it. I can develop a test where one can make a 100 or never make above a 45. It is all in the development of the test. The important area to be considered is are you achieving the minimal knowledge to be safe? Usually, mid level to upper scores is sufficient. Personally, I never average scores. Everyone has to make at least an 84%. Period. If you make below, your out. If you make higher, congrats and so? You just so happened to perform better that time.

A major part of this program is self confidence. I suggest you personally review your study habits. Read the chapter ahead of time, answer the objectives (found in the front of the chapter) and be able to answer them. Practice skills as much as possible and even at home, work (if allowable).

Alike other posted, chances are there other students that maybe having problems alike yours.

Good luck,

R/r 911

joncrocker

Forum Ride Along
I'm sure you will be fine. You care alot about your grades...THATS GOOD!! Just dont over do it. I can remember one of my friends(now a crew member) telling me before i started my class that there would be people who thought they were 'it' and thought they would breeze right through it....let's just say that they ended up failing right before our final. Just think positive and don't be too hard on yourself. Good Luck in your class!!!

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
How you look at the situation is how it effects you. I don't think we'll ever be able to help you get over the fact that you're older than the others, it's something you either don't care about or you do care about it. Either way it's not going to change and will probably be the same in the field, at least in my area a majority of the medics are younger with a few exceptions. Don't get down on age though it's never to late to get into this as you'll note if you read the thread about how old people were when they got into EMS. (use the search to find that thread)

As far as scoring less than 100% I am the same way but I use it as a constructive mechanism. We all want to do well and get that fancy three digit test score but like rid said most tests are written so that just doesn't happen. But if you keep that goal of 100% in mind at all times and use it as a motivator to study when you'd rather be doing something else it will help. Also if you look back at your last test try to answer this question (to yourself I don't need to know) what were 5 test questions that you got correct? Now try to tell me what were 5 test questions that you got incorrect? Funny which set we remember more of yet we still complain about getting them wrong. What I'm trying to say is it's great that you have a true drive to succeed and be excellent in EMS however at the same time you're allowing that drive to hold you back by using it as a destructive mechanism, make constructive use of that drive and you will be a great EMT.

cuvtixo

Forum Probie
past experiences in classes?

Even after getting a college degree, I've taken a lot of classes (mostly computer related) My entire life, it seems I've had either classes that I find very easy, or very hard. Sometimes, I search for motivation to finish an easy course- to really excel and master the knowledge I already grasp. And sometimes its really difficult and I have to remind myself "All I need is a passing grade." Just pass and get it over with. I wish I had more upbeat advice...
Maybe try to laugh at yourself for being an overachiever, joke about it sometimes. I usually mumble something to myself about wanting to get a gold star on my forehead. :p ;)

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
Bottom line: You're a hospital care provider. EMTs are pre-hospital care providers. There are differences. Adapt, improvise, overcome.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Interesting how everyone automatically assumes that because she works in a hospital that automatically means that she is providing pt care.

Levinoss

Forum Crew Member
Interesting how everyone automatically assumes that because she works in a hospital that automatically means that she is providing pt care.

I admit I thought nurse...

*shrug*

OP
OP
J

JeeperWoman

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for all the good advice...

I think I just needed people who have been where I am to tell me just to relax and enjoy what I'm going through. Nope, not a nurse but I have worked in ER, then OR and now an ER again but as paper-pusher...I'm working 6 days a week until after the 1st of the year so studying has been really hard but I am doing the best I can. My study habits are pretty good but there is always room for improvment. We don't have class again until the 29th so I am just cramming in as much study time as I can. I just want to be good at this, you guys know what I mean? It's like this, we all have other jobs (that of course we want to do well at) but in all reality they are, in the end, jobs. But we all have chosen to become EMTs. This is a conscious choice that for whatever reason, we all have made. I want this to be something I can be proud of doing. I love the way all EMT/Paramedics/1st Responders have that absolute look of pride in what they do and how they do their jobs. I want to have that look too! Well thanks for listening, I'll let you know how I'm doing:)

Levinoss

Forum Crew Member
I think I just needed people who have been where I am to tell me just to relax and enjoy what I'm going through. Nope, not a nurse but I have worked in ER, then OR and now an ER again but as paper-pusher...I'm working 6 days a week until after the 1st of the year so studying has been really hard but I am doing the best I can. My study habits are pretty good but there is always room for improvment. We don't have class again until the 29th so I am just cramming in as much study time as I can. I just want to be good at this, you guys know what I mean? It's like this, we all have other jobs (that of course we want to do well at) but in all reality they are, in the end, jobs. But we all have chosen to become EMTs. This is a conscious choice that for whatever reason, we all have made. I want this to be something I can be proud of doing. I love the way all EMT/Paramedics/1st Responders have that absolute look of pride in what they do and how they do their jobs. I want to have that look too! Well thanks for listening, I'll let you know how I'm doing:)

If I do anything I try to be the best I can at it and keep learning new things. You want to do EMS part time or?

EMT-B2B

Forum Crew Member
Im 30 and start EMT-B school on Jan 23rd. Im was feeling that I might be alittle late because of age, but then I just realized I might have a heads up somewhat due to regular life expierience. LOL