the 100% directionless thread

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Think I should take this to study for my anatomy class?
20151126_122308.jpg

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Thing Explainer by Randall Munroe, the guy who draws the xkcd comics. Uses the first 1,000 most common words to explain complex stuff.
Beat me too it. Awesomely hilarious book. I also have his other book "What If?" (and browse that section of the xkcd site) which is where readers submit absurd hypothetical scenarios that he uses real science to answer. Good stuff.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Everyone please be safe

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Unfortunately, this will only be seen as another bit of leverage for today's political candidates.
News is now saying two people were killed :/

Sadly I feel like the aftermath will be exactly as @Flying said

Thats what every anti gun dip**** uses. The death of innocent people caused by the evil gun. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. My shotgun, handgun, and rifle haven't killed anyone. Its the sick *******s that were never spanked as kids that commit these atrocities.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
I never really understood how the gun issue got so twisted up and causes so many people to stop thinking rationally. (actually that's a lie, I completely understand why, it's just very disturbing)

If I go to a bar, get drunk, hop in my car and kill 5 people while driving drunk, the response is "those damn drunk drivers, we need to stop them!"

If I go nuts (or am a dirtbag or some such thing), grab a gun and kill 5 people, the response is "those damn guns, we need to get rid of them!"

If the focus was actually on what caused the incident (hint: it's the PERSON who is responsible, not the object) not only would far more people be on board with aggressively trying to fix the problem, but the problem would not polarize the country so much.

Of course, that would mean admitting that people have to be held responsible, admitting that the cause of these peoples problems are deep-seated and have NEVER been truly addressed, and would take a very long time (and a massive amount of hard, unpopular work) to have an effect.

It would also force various groups across the political and social spectrum to admit that what they believe and have been doing for generations DOES NOT WORK and is WRONG.

And that friends and neighbors, will never, ever happen.

To costly in terms of social standing and political votes.