FDNY EMS Candidates

Jcarl

Forum Crew Member
Ok good. What is the suggested attire for the medical? Thanks for the quick response

I always wear business attire like khakis and button down shirt... No tie or anything to fancy. I just always try to look nice when I go down to metro tech

FDNYEMT

Forum Captain
I always wear business attire like khakis and button down shirt... No tie or anything to fancy. I just always try to look nice when I go down to metro tech

Same with me. You want to look professional. I wore khakis and a polo shirt.

FDNYEMT

Forum Captain
I have my medical on Wednesday the 4th. Does anyone know how long it takes to get the results back for that? Or do you not get results at all and after that you just wait for the call to go into the academy?

Quick advice. Make sure you get there early so you can start early. Also, when you are done with one station, be sure you go to the next one. You don't want to stand around because there are a lot of "stations" for you to get through. The x-ray was the longest for me because of all the waiting.

good luck mate.

ndtyank49

Forum Probie
MForest which list are you on and whats your list number?

MForest

Forum Crew Member
MForest which list are you on and whats your list number?
I'm on 5003 and my list number is in the high 500's. I'm behind though because I had to reschedule my medical. My original medical was for mid September and now my reschedule is for this Wednesday, November 4th

FDHOPEFUL33

Forum Captain
cant go wrong with button down and khakis. so no news on a january academy? I guess February is set in stone then.

MForest

Forum Crew Member
cant go wrong with button down and khakis. so no news on a january academy? I guess February is set in stone then.
That's when the next academy for emts is rumored to be? How far in advance do they call you to let you know? I don't think I'll make the winter acady but I think I have a chance to make the spring one

FDHOPEFUL33

Forum Captain
That's when the next academy for emts is rumored to be? How far in advance do they call you to let you know? I don't think I'll make the winter acady but I think I have a chance to make the spring one
If it started in February it wouldn't graduate til early to mid may. So class after that would start in may or July. It usually went. .January. .April..July..October..
Who knows dude. Hopefully someone will hear something soon. And supposedly they call you 2 weeks before the class starts to offer you employment IF your number is close

brice0908

Forum Ride Along
First time posting, list number 11**. Just wondering, does anyone know if they will hire everyone off list 5003 before beginning to hire from the new exam?

Xerjak

Forum Crew Member
First time posting, list number 11**. Just wondering, does anyone know if they will hire everyone off list 5003 before beginning to hire from the new exam?
Judging by the previous posts on here, they go through each list before going on to the next. So I'm on 5003, they did not start contacting people from 5003 with positions until those on the previous list were contacted. Although I'm sure there were people from the previous list that were delayed for one reason or another and are still in the running. So just because you're high on the list, doesn't mean they'll skip you and go to the next one.

Herroo50

Forum Crew Member
List #28*

Physical, Backround, Psych and Medical all passed and finished. Was told from my investigator last week that files are being pulled and reviewed for the next class. Word is next TOP class is scheduled for January but also hearing February

MForest

Forum Crew Member
List #28*

Physical, Backround, Psych and Medical all passed and finished. Was told from my investigator last week that files are being pulled and reviewed for the next class. Word is next TOP class is scheduled for January but also hearing February
Hey, I just took my medical today and the guy Frank said the next class will be in February. My list number is in the final 500's and if everything comes back ok with my medical I'm done with the process as well. One bummer is that I have to come back in a month weighing 5 lbs less. I'm in pretty good shape, just stocky- I feel that BMI is a poor way to judge your physical health but you have to work with it I guess

Mikef19

Forum Lieutenant
Hey, I just took my medical today and the guy Frank said the next class will be in February. My list number is in the final 500's and if everything comes back ok with my medical I'm done with the process as well. One bummer is that I have to come back in a month weighing 5 lbs less. I'm in pretty good shape, just stocky- I feel that BMI is a poor way to judge your physical health but you have to work with it I guess

5 pounds isn't bad at all. I dropped almost 25 in 30 days and made it. I have a friend who is a personal trainer, and a former college wrestler, so he put me on a diet and basic workout regiment which worked great. If anyones interested:

Drink- water, and that's it. And drink a lot of it. You want to be pissing often, and pissing clear. If you need to sneak a cup of coffee, make it black. I'm not a big coffee guy, so it wasn't a big deal.

Food- Breakfast: Option 1) Fiber Cereal (i found that fiber one was real good and tasted great.) Splash of almond milk, and a banana.
Option 2) 2 egg whites and 1 whole egg omelet. I usually either sprinkled a little turkey meat, onion or spinach. Banana with that also. They are great snacks because they fill you. But only one a day.
Lunch: Turkey sandwich, with a slice of cheese (doesn't matter which, and you can always leave it off) on whole grain (not whole wheat). I also used to layer on a piece of lettuce and some onion on it. If you're currently working on an ambulance, don't forget the gum. Side spinach salad with cut up broccoli or peppers.
Dinner: Grilled chicken is your friend. Other proteins to mix in either a tuna steak, salmon, or any other fresh fish. You can also roast these. Little bit of lemon on top. Small helping of brown rice on the side, roast some veggies also. I also used to drizzle a little sirach sauce for some flavor. Very little sodium in that, but don't overdo it.
Snacks- snack early and often. You want to stay full, so little bits of food here and there. Carrot sticks, apples, no fat string cheese (limit these) and nuts with no salt. I always use to keep a bag of mixed almonds and peanuts in my pocket at all times.

To me, the biggest thing was getting into a routine. Get up in the morning, do your breakfast. Then i would hit the gym or whatever workout I was doing. Come home, prep lunch. Dinner I usually had done already because it was easier to grill up a ton of chicken early in the week, make some boil in bag rice and just reheat it.

For a workout, nothing crazy weight lifting or anything. I would do usually somewhere around an hour or so on a treadmill, or about a 7-10 mile bike ride. In addition to that some very light weight stuff with dumbbells, and light weight squats. Don't forget push up and sit ups as well.

You gotta stay dedicated to it, no cheating at all. No joke, I dropped 8 pounds in the first week.

Good luck.

FDHOPEFUL33

Forum Captain
I also heard today that the next academy will be early January, coming from someone who is in the academy now. So if your investigator said they are reviewing files then that makes sense. if anybody hears anything post it up here. good luck guys

Mikef19

Forum Lieutenant
Even if the next class is January, nobody will hear anything until December sometime.

Frank was pretty right on with everything that he told me, I'd believe him.

FDHOPEFUL33

Forum Captain
Even if the next class is January, nobody will hear anything until December sometime.

Frank was pretty right on with everything that he told me, I'd believe him.

yeah wed still have to wait til late december to find out about january. Frank also told my group that we would be in for september..lol that didnt happen. its all hear say. we'll know when we get a phone call i guess

RUMCEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Hey just an FYI you can go any day to reweigh if in two weeks your down enough weight to and weigh in and they will clear your weight.

MForest

Forum Crew Member
Hey just an FYI you can go any day to reweigh if in two weeks your down enough weight to and weigh in and they will clear your weight.
Yea that's what I'm going to do, thanks for the heads up. The latest I can go in is December 4th but I'm planning on going in the day before thanksgiving lol. I think I can make it by then

Hunter118

Forum Captain
Currently in the academy now for all u guys waiting next class is Feb ! I recommend if u can take Tour 3 , instructors are awesome .. plus u get night diff on your checks and they offer u OT when you're tour 3 it's a win win situation