FDNY EMS Candidates

FDNY402

Forum Crew Member
Heyy so I'm list number 945 and my EMT cert expires July 31st..... is that going to be a problem since the academy is a refresher anyways???

Hey man did you ever get in touch with your investigator? I ask because my friends cousin is 137* and his card expires 9/30/16. I dont wanna say "yea you should be fine" then he doesn't get in ill feel like a ****. In this specific case I feel good for him because he will have an active card for like 10 out of the 13 weeks. He should take the state before his cards is done, but I dont want to get the kids hopes up

thatdorkyemt_

Forum Captain
Hey man did you ever get in touch with your investigator? I ask because my friends cousin is 137* and his card expires 9/30/16. I dont wanna say "yea you should be fine" then he doesn't get in ill feel like a ****. In this specific case I feel good for him because he will have an active card for like 10 out of the 13 weeks. He should take the state before his cards is done, but I dont want to get the kids hopes up

just make sure that person asks their investigator. WORST case scenario is they take the CME courses (if they are enrolled in an agency that offers the courses) and get a new card that way. Best to be safe than push to last minute and waste time for nothing. That's also assuming they get in to the July Academy.

FDNY402

Forum Crew Member
just make sure that person asks their investigator. WORST case scenario is they take the CME courses (if they are enrolled in an agency that offers the courses) and get a new card that way. Best to be safe than push to last minute and waste time for nothing. That's also assuming they get in to the July Academy.

Its WAYYYYYY to late for CME's lol. If by the slim chance they dont take him in July I guess hes going to haveto take a 3 month refresher course. That would be cool if FDNY lets him do the course with them, but probably not because hes not officially employed by them

SIEMTB

Forum Lieutenant
Hey guys. Have my medical on Monday? What should I expect? Also, for the respiratory fitness test, I heard you have to blow into the tube as hard as you can for 8 seconds, 3 times?

FDNY402

Forum Crew Member
Hey guys. Have my medical on Monday? What should I expect? Also, for the respiratory fitness test, I heard you have to blow into the tube as hard as you can for 8 seconds, 3 times?

Yup, you blow into it for 6-8 seconds with as much force as possible, and you haveto do that 3 times

SIEMTB

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks and what else should I expect to have done? And do you find out about anything that could disqualify you there? Is there any type of pass fail that you find out on the spot at the medical?

thatdorkyemt_

Forum Captain
Its WAYYYYYY to late for CME's lol. If by the slim chance they dont take him in July I guess hes going to haveto take a 3 month refresher course. That would be cool if FDNY lets him do the course with them, but probably not because hes not officially employed by them

Not necessarily true. It will be difficult to find all of them in a quick go but it can be done. He/she can take up to half of his core CMEs online, or find a VAC that offers them all over a 3 month period and they should be set. You have up until 45 days before your EMT card expires to get the necessary paperwork in. It is a gamble, but it's also a safety net if they don't get into the July Academy they'll at least be able to get in with a new card.

FDNY402

Forum Crew Member
Taking a refresher is good too. The first 2 months of the academy is a emt course so itl be good for him to have all that info fresh in his mind for the fall/winter academy. Whichever one is after July. And thats IF he doesn't get in July. I wish I could ask an Academy staff member for an answer. He got in contact with his investigator today and they said they haveto ask their supervisor so god knows how long its ganna take for them to get back to him.

emt117

Forum Lieutenant
I am confused can someone help me out. You take a refresher while in the academy? Saw someone post about the academy taking the state exam, thanks.

MelEmtNyc

Forum Captain
I am confused can someone help me out. You take a refresher while in the academy? Saw someone post about the academy taking the state exam, thanks.
Yes the first 4 weeks it's all refresher and you get a test every single day and have to get a certain amount of points to sit for the final and pass that then you have your state practicals and now we're waiting a month for the state written which makes no sense to me I would have rather taken it right after my final

emt117

Forum Lieutenant
Yes the first 4 weeks it's all refresher and you get a test every single day and have to get a certain amount of points to sit for the final and pass that then you have your state practicals and now we're waiting a month for the state written which makes no sense to me I would have rather taken it right after my final
I didn't know that, thanks for clarifying.

FDNY402

Forum Crew Member
So it's starting in July for aure

Thats what it looks like.What did your investigator say about your card? Also am I just not going to hear anything until calls start going out for the July class? Or will my investigator contact me and talk about it? I know "no news is good news"

thatdorkyemt_

Forum Captain
Thats what it looks like.What did your investigator say about your card? Also am I just not going to hear anything until calls start going out for the July class? Or will my investigator contact me and talk about it? I know "no news is good news"

In this case you should follow up after some time has passed. Don't call on a daily basis and annoy your investigator, but sometimes it's best to be safe

Dot212

Forum Crew Member
Hey what is the non certified detailed earnings statement? I went to the social security office and asked for that exact thing and it cost $136 the exact amount of what they ask for and when I got it in the mail and faxed it to my investigator she said that was the wrong form....