Your stories for education

*ofLife

Forum Crew Member
Hey there,

Let me start by introducing myself. I'm a 17 yr old from Wisconsin and after being involved in a handful of accidents along with being involved in some other really interesting events, I decided I wanted to be an EMT. I'm currently a ride-along, and will start my training this summer.

In July, I was involved in a really bad accident. A girl my age, someone I knew, crossed the centerline of a busy county road and collided head-on with my vehicle. My ankle was crushed into over a hundred pieces, and over time resembled pudding in some spots, making surgery impossible. The skin on my knee was ripped off and some-what cauterized. My wrist was also dislocated by the airbag, but I popped it back into place before the EMTs arrived. I knew that if I didn't, they would have to.

Miraculously, I've made a near full recovery, and should be able to run again by July. The other girl, however, was killed on impact.

After this accident (which was not my first bad crash) I felt compelled to do something. I did a lot of statistic research and put together a slide show containing my stories, other stories I had found, and the facts and shocking statistics. I've spoken with three different driver's education classes so far, and have three more this semester...and hopefully more.

Their reactions were just what I wanted. They were shocked and touched by my presentation. Many asked questions, others met with me after the presentation to tell me how much they appreciated what I had to say. A few girls cried, and one felt obligated to hug me after hearing about all of my experiences.

I've completely "re-mastered" my presentation, and I'm looking for more stories to put into it. If anyone has a story or two they think would be appropriate for this sort of thing, please email them to me. The students are really shocked by my stories alone...I can only imagine how many more there are floating out there.

Pictures, though rare to come by, would be very effective.

Thanks,