written exam for the job

lunaqueen

Forum Probie
Hello there and Happy long weekend to all!
So today I got an e-mail from local FD for the EMT-b job opening they have, stating that me and 3 other candidates qualify etc. Before the actual job interview, we have to pass their "written exam" with a score of 80 or better. Does anyone know if it is anything similar to the NR or no? What is the FD's EMT-B written exam? Any ideas what to expect? Thaaanks for any feedback. And once again, happy 4th of July.:rolleyes:

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
The general consensus is that most employment exams are very similar to the NREMT-Basic exam or a final exam you would have taken in class.

OP
OP
L

lunaqueen

Forum Probie
I passed my NR last October, so I guess I'll have some reviewing to do just to be sure. Still kind of stressed and worried. :blush:

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Look at it this way, with only 4 candidates you have a 25% chance of getting the job straight off the bat.

Brown recommends thorough interview preperation and wishes you the best of luck.

OP
OP
L

lunaqueen

Forum Probie
Look at it this way, with only 4 candidates you have a 25% chance of getting the job straight off the bat.

Brown recommends thorough interview preperation and wishes you the best of luck.

Thanks.

The exam is on the 27th of July, so I have time to actually read the whole book over, cover to cover, and do some practice tests. I dont' know. I'm confused. I understand that NR was just generalized "scenario, some anatomy, and a whole bunch of misleading answers to mess you up", And if I know that - I'm sure that the guys at the FD giving this exam know it too. Plus they also know that all 4 of us passed it. Why give an additional exam, if in other words, all 4 of us already have similar knowledge and understanding of material otherwise we would not pass the NR. So there is more to it? Not knowing what to expect on it is what really gets me.

EMTtoBE

Forum Crew Member
Is the test even all EMT stuff or is it a mix just like a regular fire test( basic math,reading comp)

OP
OP
L

lunaqueen

Forum Probie
Ok, so I spoke to my two friends from the FD and they had no clue about EMT pre-hire exams. Really helped, yeah. Anyways, one of them advised me to contact the South SF FD, since it's a different county and ask them about the protocols they go by. I looked it up online, not much different from SF county protocols. My point is, would they test on that? Any ideas?