Writing PCR's for school

EMTDriver

Forum Ride Along
Hello everyone. Last night in class we started learning documentation. They really stressed that PCR's can and probably will save your bacon at some point in the career. We did a small scenario and filled out a trip report for that scenario. Anyways, I do realize that because it was my first time writing one, it will not be great, probably won't be just "good" either. It was really fast and I felt I missed 80% of what was said in the scenario... So my question is; does anyone have any tips or tricks, things I should practice, etc? I really want to get to the point where I can write a GREAT PCR. If anyone has any pointers or maybe a link to some practice sheets or whatever I would really appreciate it!

Trent

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
In your objective assessment, consider summarizing head-to-toe. Doing it that way every time lessens the chance you'll forget something. Be sure to include pertinent negatives.

planetmike

Forum Lieutenant
Like everything in EMS, it gets easier as you do more. Try to come up with a standard format, and use that same format for every report. That minimizes the chances of you forgetting something.

Jason

Medic
Both of the above are so very correct. I've been in EMS and a paramedic for many years, and there are still times when I think: I should say something more. My reports have been reviewed before and I've been told that they're not bad. And in some cases, helped me a lot.
I use a systematic approach, like head to toe, each time. My current OMD likes us to use A.C.H.A.R.T.D.(E.) as a guide to PCRs. ACHARTD can be googled for more info. My A-Assessment: is a head to toe and a follow up on findings relavent to patient care.
Hope this helps.