Writing Good Report Narratives

PotashRLS

Forum Crew Member
I am looking for some advice for report narrative writing. We have a few members that really need some help, but won't seek or accept help thus far. Much assistance and education has already been provided. The problems are widespread from lazy spelling errors to grammar, run-on sentence and short-hand issues. Some just can't understand the need for "painting a picture" with the narrative and think that a few long sentences running together is enough. What do you think?

JPINFV

Gadfly
It sounds more like a problem with grammar than actual narritive writing (i.e. structure, content, etc).

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
there are a lot of a good resources out there for teaching report writing. Just google "writing patinet care reports" and you'll find all kinds of stuff.

If this is a BIG problem, it should included in your service's con ed. Maybe the training director can cull good and bad reports out of the files and do an inservice on how to make them better. I worked for a service that hired consultants to teach us the art of 'defensible report writing'. Go to court once, and that stuff becomes REALLY important.

Either way, it's not an easy problem to fix unless all of the higher ups make a stink about it. If lazy report writing is accepted by your service, you'll never fix it. Good luck.

OP
OP
PotashRLS

PotashRLS

Forum Crew Member
If lazy report writing is accepted by your service, you'll never fix it. Good luck.

I think you nailed it right there!!

Thanks for the info. So far all the hours of training produce short-lived fixes.