Would you ask this question?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
When responding to a medical/assault call in a private residence, is it appropriate for a police officer to ask a woman if she is a prostitute?

I'm not asking if it is legal, but rather it it is appropriate.

My partner and I disagreed on this one, but I understand where she is coming from. Again, is it okay for a police officer, not EMT to ask this question.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Was that the woman's residence, or someone else's? In certain situations, I think it is appropriate for the police officer (not an EMT) to ask that question. Under no circumstances is it appropriate for the EMT to ask that.

I actually had a call similar to this, and the woman was a prostitute. The cops didn't care though, and we treated her just like we treat any other patient.

ma2va92

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by MMiz@Aug 2 2004, 07:34 AM
When responding to a medical/assault call in a private residence, is it appropriate for a police officer to ask a woman if she is a prostitute?

I'm not asking if it is legal, but rather it it is appropriate.

My partner and I disagreed on this one, but I understand where she is coming from. Again, is it okay for a police officer, not EMT to ask this question.
To me it would make no difference.. unless alittle more BSI was taken... from what you said this would only be info use in court.... it should not affect treatment..

appropriate.... for who... the PO at the house ... yes.. it was... for you giving medical never....

but hold a date open .. when you are asked in court what did the officer ask the victim

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuelt@Aug 2 2004, 07:59 AM
Was that the woman's residence, or someone else's? In certain situations, I think it is appropriate for the police officer (not an EMT) to ask that question. Under no circumstances is it appropriate for the EMT to ask that.

I actually had a call similar to this, and the woman was a prostitute. The cops didn't care though, and we treated her just like we treat any other patient.
In certain circumstances, I agree that it would be appropriate for the officer to ask this question. It would depend upon the reason for the call and the reason for the question (i.e. Does her profession have something to do with the call (assault, drugs, etc...)

For the life of me, I can't come up with a scenario that it would be appropriate for an EMT to ask that type of question, though.

rescuecpt

Originally posted by ffemt8978@Aug 4 2004, 01:17 AM
For the life of me, I can't come up with a scenario that it would be appropriate for an EMT to ask that type of question, though.
Unless one was asking in order to acquire her services... ;)

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuelt+Aug 4 2004, 02:07 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (rescuelt @ Aug 4 2004, 02:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ffemt8978@Aug 4 2004, 01:17 AM
Unless one was asking in order to acquire her services... ;) [/b][/quote]
Man, I was hoping that you wouldn't go there. :lol:

rescuecpt

Hehehehehe.... :lol:

Firechic

Forum Lieutenant
hahaha that was a funny one!

I think the police officer had every right to ask her that question. Why wouldn't it be appropriate?
B)