Woman killed after ambo vs car mva

BloodNGlory02

Forum Crew Member
http://www.jsonline.com/news/wauk/apr05/317487.asp
http://www.jsonline.com/news/wauk/apr05/317911.asp

Tragically this happened in my county. It was a private doing a transport- thank god without a patient. I feel for the family of this woman, but do not agree with her husbands statements in the last link. Even WITH the opticom system (county fire dept use them, privates do not) its important for other motorists to pull to the side, and the driver of the ambo to use caution/due regard. A simple flashing opticom isnt the sole solution.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Opticom should give you a false sense of security. You come up on the light at 55, w/ light and siren and change that light and your good to go. But the driver in the other direction just looked and saw it change green, figures she/he has 30 seconds to go, and maybe didn't look again to see that it changed so quickly... and the apparatus driver knows people have to yield ROW, but didn't slow down to make sure and... BOOM.

Stop. Look. Live.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Apr 12 2005, 10:20 PM
Stop. Look. Live.
Couldn't agree more.

OP
OP
B

BloodNGlory02

Forum Crew Member
Im debating writing a response letter to his statements. I dont want him to think an opticom would've saved his wife's life. Maybe it wouldve, maybe it wouldnt have but its not to blame for her death. Who knows if it would've been operating, the driver wouldve still used due regard or his wife would've stopped.

daemonicusxx

Forum Lieutenant
Originally posted by BloodNGlory02@Apr 13 2005, 12:58 AM
I dont want him to think an opticom would've saved his wife's life. Maybe it wouldve, maybe it wouldnt have but its not to blame for her death. Who knows if it would've been operating, the driver wouldve still used due regard or his wife would've stopped.
i really think you hit the nail on the head. opticom helps, but its not the golden solution to the problem.

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
Originally posted by BloodNGlory02@Apr 13 2005, 12:58 AM
Im debating writing a response letter to his statements.
I think if he wants to fight for opticoms that it is his way to deal with his wifes unfortunate death. He doesn't seem to want to blame the EMS service for not having them. If he gets them, then good... if he doesnt, then he at least feels he fought for something for his wife. A win/win situation, I wouldnt discourage it.