Will this help me get into school?

Lenny61

Forum Ride Along
So, I have been out of the EMS world for a while now (two years). I got a desk job and for the moment it is okay, but I can't see myself doing this forever. I have kept my EMT license current and plan on volunteering as a ski patroller this winter.

Eventually, I want to go to nursing school and then get my paramedic license as well.

I worked as an EMT for about three years. Will this previous experience on top of a few years of ski patrol experience help me get into nursing or paramedic school? (I have taken the pre reqs as well Anatomy and Physiology) I want to continue using my skills and this seems the most viable option for me at the moment. I want to do this regardless of whether or not this will help get me into school. Just wanted opinions as to whether this will help me or not.

On a side note, and online CE providers that anyone would recommend?

Thanks and all the best!

-J

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
I would say that it depends. The experience will help with a medic program.

Many nursing programs award points to those with prior certs, but when it comes to nursing, the emphasis is placed on academics. Get good grades in the prereq courses the particular school offers.

Many medic programs require some previous experience and a basic A&P course. Others include the course. Regardless, the barriers to entry into a medic programs are pretty damn low and generally a pulse will get you in depending on the school and what part of the country you're in.

Last edited by a moderator:

clearblueskies

Forum Probie
I would say that it depends. The experience will help with a medic program.

Many nursing programs award points to those with prior certs, but when it comes to nursing, the emphasis is placed on academics. Get good grades in the prereq courses the particular school offers.

Many medic programs require some previous experience and a basic A&P course. Others include the course. Regardless, the barriers to entry into a medic programs are pretty damn low and generally a pulse will get you in depending on the school and what part of the country you're in.
I would agree with you here!! Medic programs are getting quite picky with what they will and won't accept for precredit! I know ours here at our local college is REALLY picky and anything not taken there or at an accredited college, they won't take!!