Why do they have to mess with my schedule?

RMApok

Forum Probie
AAARRRRRRRRGGGGG!

I am really ticked off at my company right now. I work for a transport service and I am about to get screwed for the second time in six months with my schedule.

Last May, my partner and I (BLS unit) bid on a new shift. We were about middle of the line on seniority, so we got what we wanted. About four months later our company switched to a "no BLS on the weekends" policy, and my partner and I were informed our schedule was switching. Now, our Administrative Supervisor is one hell of a guy, and he always tries to help the "little guy" out, but corporate ties his hands sometimes, and we ended up having to rearrange our personal schedule quite a bit.

Now, our company is switching the 4 12 hour BLS shifts to 5 8 hour BLS shifts a week. So, work more days for less hours, and still the same "no weekend rule" There's "talk" about giving everybody raises to compensate for the loss of hours, but we all know how that usually works out for large corporations. So lovely, I get to try to work out something with my wife's ex about custody arrangements now. I don't know if I'm going to be able to keep my job, just because of what this will do to my personal life.

Guess I'll be looking around for another job. My partner has already resolved to quit over this. (Well, not just this, this is the proverbial last straw) I hate job hunting.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Wow. That is too much. I could see them trying to cut you down so you aren't in OT every week... say, 4 10-hour shifts, or even 3-13 hour shifts... the whole 8hx5d thing gets old, quick. In fact, many of us in this field count on having that time off to work OTHER jobs (or so it seems).

Are you a union shop? A union might actually help. If not, as a latch-ditch thing - tell the boss that you will quit unless he fixes this... then be prepared to quit if needed.

Good luck!

FF/EMT Sam

Forum Lieutenant
Wow. That is too much. I could see them trying to cut you down so you aren't in OT every week... say, 4 10-hour shifts, or even 3-13 hour shifts... the whole 8hx5d thing gets old, quick. In fact, many of us in this field count on having that time off to work OTHER jobs (or so it seems).

Are you a union shop? A union might actually help. If not, as a latch-ditch thing - tell the boss that you will quit unless he fixes this... then be prepared to quit if needed.

Good luck!

Amen to what the smart guy said ^^^^^^^

jedirye

Forum Lieutenant
I just recently quit a company because the schedule I was given was horrible. It would not have been economical for me to continue with it, although I had only been there three weeks, as opposed to your obvious seniority there.

The new company I am working for is incredibly flexible with my schedule so it's cool. They are actually thinking of putting a new shift out (5pm-Midnight M-F) for people at school. I'm not too sure about that shift, because M-F sucks but it seems doable while still having a life. I don't know.

I hope you can get through this and keep us updated!

-rye

Mercy4Angels

Forum Lieutenant
seriously just get a new job.

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
tell the boss that you will quit unless he fixes this... then be prepared to quit if needed.

With the current (usual) glut of -B's, I'd expect to be told to not let the door hit me in the butt on the way out... :sad:

Mercy4Angels

Forum Lieutenant
gotta agree there are MANY "basics" another is just a phone call away. now paramedics on the other hand have leverage.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
With the current (usual) glut of -B's, I'd expect to be told to not let the door hit me in the butt on the way out... :sad:
Right... but if he is already going to leave, why not give it a shot?

Tincanfireman

Airfield Operations
I agree, absolutely give it a try. The worst that could happen is that he gets the (expected) pink slip, But there's always a chance that his karma is smiling and the boss actually listens. Good luck and keep us posted on what happens, too...

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
big difference between giving an appropriate notice and resigning a position and demanding a change a threatening to quite of not done. one give you the oppurtunity for rehire. one leaves you knees to the breeze and no way back in. done both and the first one works better

find another job. give notice. leave on civil terms. and if you ever need to go back, the option is there

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
There is where I truly believe that EMS needs unions. EMS personnel tolerate far too much schedule-changing at the hands of management. I'm simply amazed at how people people I work with put up with crappy schedule changes that almost always make life harder for the EMTs.