When a person is ejected through a windshield....

Status
Not open for further replies.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
I will admit that "You could still be more specific" and "I was hoping to get some information here that I did not know before" was pushy. I am a thick-skinned person.

My statement that "I would have thought that in 13 years as an EMT, you would have responded to a lot more than 13 ejections" was not confrontational or judgmental at all. I was merely saying that 10 ejections in 13 years was far less ejections than I would have imagined that he or she saw. It's not a value judgment.

I am a long distance trucker. One time a guy who has never been a trucker before asked me how many miles I drive in the semi-truck per year. I told him about 125,000 miles per year, which is typical for a solo trucker on a truck that is governed at 65 mph. He responded "I would have thought that you would get more miles than that per year." This is analagous to my comment to Desert Medic about my views on the number of ejections he had seen in 13 years. I was saying that an aspect of his job was not what I imagined it to be. The guy who said that he thought i would get more than 125,000 miles per year was saying that an aspect of my job was not what he imagined it to be. I was not offended in the slightest. Non-truckers imagine that truckers just keep the wheels of a semi-truck rolling at 65 mph all the time 365 days per year except for when the trucker is sleeping. No, there are dozens of things that keep truckers from keeping the wheels of a semi-truck rolling at 65 mph all the time except for when the trucker is sleeping. Truckers are limited by an 11 hr of drive time clock (that can only be reset after a 10 hour break), a 14 hr clock on their shift times (which can only be reset by a 10 hour break), a 8 hr DOT clock which can only be reset after a 30 minute break, and a 70 hour over 8 day clock (which can only be reset by a 34 hour break). Furthermore, sometimes the truck or trailer breaks down, and the truck will be down for days waiting on a repair. Plus most truckers take hometime once every 3 or 4 weeks for 3 or 4 days. Plus we get in traffic jams due to car wrecks and road construction. Plus we sometimes have to wait many hours at shippers and receivers to get our trailers loaded and unloaded. And I could name dozens of other things that delay us. Most non-truckers don't understand that, but I don't get offended by the fact that they don't understand that.

If anyone has any questions about what it is like to be a long-distance trucker (also called an OTR trucker), you can ask me them, and I won't get offended if my answers are not what you expected.
You're not the only OTR driver on this forum.

You've already been given the best answers to your questions that can be given. Summed up, that answer is it depends because every accident is different.

As a professional driver, you should be aware of all the safety features that have been added to vehicles over the years that when used in conjunction with safety belts, drastically reduced the number of elections from vehicles.

I was an EMT for 15 years, and probably responded to a half a dozen ejections. Every one was a fatality, including one where body parts ended up having to be bagged individually. Out of the hundreds of auto accidents I've responded to, I've only seen one accident where not wearing a seat belt possibly saved the driver's life.

Moral of the post: wear your seatbelt. It's designed to keep you inside the vehicle that is specifically designed to keep you safer in an accident than your soft body.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
OP: Because of the repetitive nature of you asking the same basic thing, and you have been given answers multiple times, I am closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.