What's the difference?

gradygirl

TROUBLE
Hey, I've noticed a lot of different people are EMT-Paramedics while others are Critical Care Paramedic. Exactly what is the difference?

cc_crna

Forum Ride Along
Well, in addition to being National Registered and Licensed in my state, I took additional classes through UMBC for two and a half months which covered flight physiology, advanced pharm, physiology, some addtl. peds, IABP, Central lines, Swan Ganz caths, ICP monitoring, on and on...(get the picture??)UMBC started the whole thing, but local hospitals have local training around here to meet their needs and it isn't the same thing.

I believe it was a good class--got me through th FP-C test with no probs. That was a while ago and I do not know what has changed, I know for my CEU I attended the Multi Lead medic seminar a while back and that was kinda interesting. I believe that it is kind of part of the curriculum. I was not a nurse when I took it, but some others were and had some probs with it--maybe an individual thing.
If you are a paramedic and your area recognizes the CC thing-a good class. But if you do not use the additional skills it is just good info.

Hope this helps:wacko:

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
TCERT1987 said:
:huh: Ok, so other than extra training?
I'm a bit confused by the question. Critical Care Paramedics have additional training, and in most cases have expanded protocols and additional diagnostic and treatment equipment.

I can't tell you the exact difference only because there is no exact difference. The Critical Care Paramedic level means a million things to a million different people. It's really what your service / hospital defines as critical care.

OP
OP
gradygirl

gradygirl

TROUBLE
MMiz said:
I can't tell you the exact difference only because there is no exact difference. The Critical Care Paramedic level means a million things to a million different people. It's really what your service / hospital defines as critical care.

Ok, that's kinda more what I'm after. cc_crna did a wonderful job explaining what other training there is, I was just curious as to how they differed in the field in terms of performance. Until I got here, I've never heard of a critical care anything.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Actually Critical Paramedic is a generic term for those that have attended extended education and training past the DOT Paramedic modules. Services can bill and be categorized as Critical Care dependent on State license/certifications, and Medicare will reimburse at a higher level.

Most CCEMT/P (Maryland's course is now called critical care emergency medical transport program which now allows RN's to attend), have to attend classes in hemodynamic monitoring, ventilators, RSI, Central lines, IABP (balloon pumps), and possibly neonate speciality.

Officially, for Medicare one does not have to go through Maryland's course and can be taught in house as long as it is approved by the state, and does go above the traditional NHTSA curriculum.

R/r 911