Unresponsive

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
I really prefer the thermometer where you hold the one part in your hand and stick the other part in somewhere and the the part in your hand tells you what the temperature is.

Must be the nurse in me.

That's what we have

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
It is probably not a good idea to use the same thermometer interchangably.

I agree. Unfortunately we only have one, and sometimes (more often than not, but I don't trust them. Never have been reliable for me) the tempadot things and it's pretty difficult to convince grandma with the GCS of 15 and obviously high fever to let me put the thermometer where the sun don't shine.

We use sterile covers and I cavi-wipe the hell out of it after I use it ever time but, like you said, ideally we would have one for rectal and one for oral temperatures.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
We use sterile covers and I cavi-wipe the hell out of it after I use it ever time but, like you said, ideally we would have one for rectal and one for oral temperatures.

Does everyone else?

OP
OP
NomadicMedic

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Christopher, there was nothing there that overtly pointed at a TCA overdose. No history of TCA use, no bottles in the house... I agree that it should have been added to the differential.

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
Wow, this lady looks pretty sick!

What is APAP?

I'd have called for an Intensive Care Paramedic for RSI I think.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Paracetamol.

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
Oh yeah that stuff is just nasty for the liver, but you have to take huge quantities of it, something like ten grams (twenty tablets) and ew, panadol tastes so horrible that's got to be a difficult task!

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
Not really. 4 grams a day, every day for an extended time has been shown to cause permanent liver damage. For an acute overdose it does take quite a bit to kill off enough of the liver to be an immediate issue, but you can still do quite a bit of damage. In the US you can buy bottles of 500mg pills that have hundreds of pills in them.