TXA

dutemplar

Forum Captain
So, the nutshell version, if I understand...

If you're dealing with a fairly young, healthy population that just got jacked on bullets, blown up, or crimped in a car, it's probably very therapeutic in the initial management especially when we can't run low titer whole blood.

The older they are, the more likely they are to have health issues and even while clotting where they are supposed to, they are also increasingly likely to throw bad clots especially if immobilized and more susceptible to DVTs anyways.

If you're dealing with someone who's guts are slowly drizzling out for days to weeks, it's not so useful and likely gonna cause problems.

If it's an isolated injury, bandage/ TQ that and let Vascular do it's thing.

This is why I usually don't use a sledgehammer to install a picture onto the drywall, or my H&K to swat a fly.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
Yep! Most patients with significant GI bleeds are much sicker at baseline than a young trauma patient. 41% of these patients had liver disease, 45% concern for varices in HALT-IT.
I would caution this thinking. Younger patients seem less sick because they compensate better.
So, the nutshell version, if I understand...

If you're dealing with a fairly young, healthy population that just got jacked on bullets, blown up, or crimped in a car, it's probably very therapeutic in the initial management especially when we can't run low titer whole blood.

The older they are, the more likely they are to have health issues and even while clotting where they are supposed to, they are also increasingly likely to throw bad clots especially if immobilized and more susceptible to DVTs anyways.

If you're dealing with someone who's guts are slowly drizzling out for days to weeks, it's not so useful and likely gonna cause problems.

If it's an isolated injury, bandage/ TQ that and let Vascular do it's thing.

This is why I usually don't use a sledgehammer to install a picture onto the drywall, or my H&K to swat a fly.
In summary, yes, but recall that the leading cause of death for people from like 25-45 or something like that is trauma.

Peak

ED/Prehospital Registered Nurse
Younger patients are generally less sick period. There is a reason we see the extremes of age in critical care, the very old and the very young. There certainly are adolescents and young adults who are sick and medically complex, but they are much smaller proportionately.

E tank

Caution: Paralyzing Agent
I would caution this thinking. Younger patients seem less sick because they compensate better.In summary, yes, but recall that the leading cause of death for people from like 25-45 or something like that is trauma.
Comorbidities and severity of injury are two different things.