Transition from Army to Contractor

JEllis92

Forum Ride Along
Currently enlisted active duty, however not as a 68W, I am currently commo.

In civilian life I had my EMT-B but rather than go through paramedic and fire academy I enlisted.
If I get out (reenlistment window approaching) I would preferably like to get a contracted medic job overseas, possibly Iraq. I looked at requirements and saw EMT-B and such with mil experience seemed to be the bare minimum that Academi wanted for medics.
I'm just wondering how feasible this is without dipping my feet into 68W, 'cause sick call is just so much fun and I'd prefer not.
I've got one deployment under my belt so far, we'll see what happens and if I get another before then.

irishboxer384

Forum Captain
For the 'good' jobs you're going to need more than one deployment under your belt and realistically about 5 years as a minimum. Also depends where/what you did on that deployment, higher clearances always help etc...and most importantly in the circuit- it isn't what you know its who you know.

I'm not saying you won't get a job, but there is a big difference between being in a good job and just being in 'a' job. On a personal note also I'd either 1- stay enlisted or 2- find a career. Contracting is NOT a career, it is an afterthought...if you are young enough and motivated for contract work then you should be equally motivated for better jobs within the military. Intelligence/sf stuff. If you do take a contracting job...use it as a stepping stone to either pay for expensive civilian quals or else for a house.

Good luck.

Luno

OG
Premium Member
I wouldn't hold my breath on any "cool guy" jobs, you have a better shot working commo as a contractor, incidentally, usually better pay and living situations... depends on the type of commo though...

Luno

OG
Premium Member
I wouldn't hold my breath on any "cool guy" jobs, you have a better shot working commo as a contractor, incidentally, usually better pay and living situations... depends on the type of commo though...