Those tiring/really bad calls...

traumaluv2011

Forum Lieutenant
So far, my worst call is a seizure patient who had five seizures lasting about 3 minutes while he was in our care. It was a fun time trying to give him in IV when he was flailing about. We had him in a Reeves stretcher, but we didn't secure the arms so medics would have access. It would have been much easier with an IO, but they don't carry them. So we had three EMTs and one medic in the back of an ambulance trying to hold this guy down. And he was winning.

The medic finally was able to push ativan and the guy starting coming back to consciousness when we finally got to the hospital.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
The medic finally was able to push ativan and the guy starting coming back to consciousness when we finally got to the hospital.

IM, IN, PR? I would not have let the lack of a line stop me from getting benzos into this guy.

DESERTDOC

Forum Lieutenant
Midazolam IN, IM?

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Midazolam IN, IM?

I think you mention that as a suggestion not, as a question, right?

The discussion mentioned Ativan (lorazepam) but Versed (midazolam) is another option even though it is a piss poor anticonvulsant so far as I am concerned compared to others in its family.

Last edited by a moderator:

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I think you mention that as a suggestion not, as a question, right?

The discussion mentioned Ativan (lorazepam) but Versed (midazolam) is another option even though it is a piss poor anticonvulsant so far as I am concerned compared to others in its family.

Given the choice, would you go with versed or Valium for active seizures? Those are our benzos cause we aren't going to be carrying ativan for whatever reason.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Midazolam wins out with its faster onset time.

We have it IM, IN, IV and IO.

Back in the day (up until the late 1990s) PR stesolid (diazepam) was carried here

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Given the choice, would you go with versed or Valium for active seizures? Those are our benzos cause we aren't going to be carrying ativan for whatever reason.
If I had an IV or IO, diazepam. If not, midazolam. Versed might be quicker onset but it's not as effective at suppressing seizure activity in my experience. Honestly, my benzo of choice is lorazepam for this sort of thing with Versed being held in reserve for RSI, etc.

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
If I had an IV or IO, diazepam. If not, midazolam. Versed might be quicker onset but it's not as effective at suppressing seizure activity in my experience. Honestly, my benzo of choice is lorazepam for this sort of thing with Versed being held in reserve for RSI, etc.

They decided against stocking ativan in our system because there is no means for refrigeration and it would expire so often outside of the fridge.

ETA: I totally agree that versed and valium are neither one a totally ideal choice. Fortunately, we very rarely see active seizures.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
traumaluv2011

traumaluv2011

Forum Lieutenant
I am not a medic. So this talk about medicines is kinda iffy for me. I've heard about all of those, but I don't know too much about them. The medic did what he did and it seemed to work. We got to the hospital fine and the guy was alive and conscious. Although he had amnesia, which I believe is a side effect of the Ativan.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Although he had amnesia, which I believe is a side effect of the Ativan.

It's also an effect of generalized seizures. The patient isn't conscious in most cases that EMS personnel could identify as being a seizure.

OP
OP
traumaluv2011

traumaluv2011

Forum Lieutenant
He was not conscious until we got to the hospital. The medics administered ativan en route to the hospital.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
He was not conscious until we got to the hospital. The medics administered ativan en route to the hospital.

That would explain the amnesia right there then, wouldn't it? :glare:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I tend to give Versed IN instead of Ativan.

I'm not a fan of playing with pointy needles next to someone flailing about.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I tend to give Versed IN instead of Ativan.

I'm not a fan of playing with pointy needles next to someone flailing about.

I'll take the small risk of a needle in exchange for better control of the condition.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I prefer midaz IN over lorazepam for onset time. Lorazepam seemingly takes forever and a day to work IM.

The problem I've had with midazolam is not initial control of the seizures, it just seems like due to the fact it has a short duration anyway your patients on Dilantin chew through it like a Cajun at an all-you-can eat crawfish shack...

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
The problem I've had with midazolam is not initial control of the seizures, it just seems like due to the fact it has a short duration anyway your patients on Dilantin chew through it like a Cajun at an all-you-can eat crawfish shack...

Exactly. That's what makes it such a piss poor choice for seizure control.

Epi-do

I see dead people
The only benzo we carry is midazolam, so which one to choose is a pretty easy decision for me. The couple times I have had to give it, the initial dose was given IN. That gives me a chance to pop the IV in without the pt flailing about, and I can use it if I need to give any additional doses. So far, I haven't ever had to give more than one dose.