That's not a knife!

eggshen

Forum Lieutenant
First of all, I have been around here for a while and am trying to stay on the DL w/ the new name.
Secondly, my place of employment recently banned carrying/using ANY type of knife. I'll not get into why I think this is silly. I am wodering if any other agencies out there have a similar policy and why.

Egg

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
My employer (nationwide ambulance company) has a written policy stating "no knives" but no one seems to listen to it.

SwissEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Personally, I find the policy totally understandable.
Never carry something on you that can you used against you.

We work at times with people with altered states of awareness, which of course involves impaired sense of judgement. A rescue hook from Benchmade seems like a good compromise if you really want something for a quick cut. Otherwise, a good set of Trauma Sheers will do ANYTHING you need it to.
The only "knife" that I see any purpose for might be the Leatherman/Gerber multitool.

-SwissEMT

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Personally, I find the policy totally understandable.
Never carry something on you that can you used against you.

-SwissEMT

Careful about those absolute statements. Things that we carry that can be "used against" us:

Knife
Trauma Shears
Pens
Flashlights
O2 cylinder
AED
Clipboard
etc...

Remember, just about anything can be used as a weapon and anything that can be used as a weapon can instantly become a deadly weapon. There is no substitute for situational awareness - where is everyone that is on a scene, and what do they have that can be used against you.

OP
OP
E

eggshen

Forum Lieutenant
For starters, Rescuehooks blow. Though being of Irish decent I like the idea of having a bottle opener on my belt at all times. I think a plain edge Spyderco rescue is the be all, end all for this type of work, IMHO. That aside, we travel in some seedy places and I feel a bit better if I have a we bit of protection at my side. Carrying one daily I have taken the time to learn how to use it appropriatly if needed (God forbid). I think it's all quite silly.

SwissEMT

Forum Lieutenant
Careful about those absolute statements. Things that we carry that can be "used against" us:

Knife
Trauma Shears
Pens
Flashlights
O2 cylinder
AED
Clipboard
etc...

Remember, just about anything can be used as a weapon and anything that can be used as a weapon can instantly become a deadly weapon. There is no substitute for situational awareness - where is everyone that is on a scene, and what do they have that can be used against you.

Absolutely. I don't wear my steth around my neck for that exact reason. But what I DO oppose is EMS guys with a folder clipped to the inside of their pockets which are basically BEGGING to be pulled from them and used against them. A pt w/ intent to harm will go for opportunity, and folders in the pocket are exactly that.

Do rescuehooks blow? Well, sure they don't have an exposed edge, but they cut anything that can fit in the hook and have an O2 key built in. They're a neat tool which can do a lot of jobs.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
But what I DO oppose is EMS guys with a folder clipped to the inside of their pockets which are basically BEGGING to be pulled from them and used against them. A pt w/ intent to harm will go for opportunity, and folders in the pocket are exactly that.

Is it possible? Absolutely.

Probable? Not likely, and I'll tell you why. Taking a folding knife out of someone's pocket is not very easy. It's a relatively small thing to grab, the angle to grab it is bad, and once you get it, you have to open it without getting your butt kicked by the person you took it from.

I worked as a security officer in a hospital for a few years, and everyone of us carried a folding knife clipped to our pocket. In every fight we had with combative/pyschotic patients, not once did any of them try to take our folding knives. There were lots of other things that were handier and easier to get, and most people will go for the most easily accessible item to use as a weapon, even if there is a "better" one available.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
taking ot of the equation people trained in disarming people, i challenge any half cracked nut job who cant tell the difference between yesterday and 1963, barely able to speak(basically here add aything that relates to yoru average psych emerg) to get my knife away from me. the theory of not introducing anything that cold be used against you into your situation is horse:censored::censored::censored::censored:. situational awareness is key. if you let your pt get the better of you, your screwed whether you have a folding knife in your possesion or not

emtwannabe

Forum Lieutenant
I noticed that sporks are not on the list. Hmm.......

Maybe one can elaborate on the danger factor of the spork?:p

Jeff

OP
OP
E

eggshen

Forum Lieutenant
I say let's ditch o2 bottles and 14 and 16ga cathaters while we are at it. And I agree, chances of getting my knfe out of my pocket are pretty slim. I wasn't always a paramedic.

OP
OP
E

eggshen

Forum Lieutenant
I am so glad you brought that up. In order to remove as much liability as possible all dangerous ambulances have been donated to the local Big Brother chapter as well as sold off to handyman types and the like. On the 31st of every month we are each issued 500 bus tokens, which are not to be used for personal transportation and are closley monitored and accounted for. When we receive a call policy dictates that we catch the nearest applicable bus or train to the location of the pt. The pt. is transported to the nearest appropriate facility and stabilized en route. Often, depending which line the pt. is closest to, we will stabalize on scene while waiting for the next public transportation vehicle. Also, depending which part of town we are in, we are able to save multiple pts. which for some reason like to hang around the bus stops and have seizures. It feels so good to help.

Egg